Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 02:42 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Getting better all the time Dave. I fitted a rubber smile seal to Mr Black just last weekend. Looks so much better but trying to get it to fit into the tabs on either side of the bumper was a complete pita. It doesn't look like your has that arrangement hence the bodge with the glue. How does it fix to the bumper?
It floats on top of the bumper bar and has no attachment to it. The back end of the smile is fixed upwards to the front guards and then the through the trunk bulkhead into the back of the smile along the front. I guess it floats on the bumper part to allow the bumper bar to come back in a minor impact and then spring back on the bumper shocks. The side accordions take up the slack between bumper bar and side body work
Old 02-18-2015, 03:34 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Car just keeps looking better Dave.

Here is some inspiration for you.............

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-17290590&Cr=0
Now that's car **** of the highest order. Looks to be sold as well.

Originally Posted by Maxem
It floats on top of the bumper bar and has no attachment to it. The back end of the smile is fixed upwards to the front guards and then the through the trunk bulkhead into the back of the smile along the front. I guess it floats on the bumper part to allow the bumper bar to come back in a minor impact and then spring back on the bumper shocks. The side accordions take up the slack between bumper bar and side body work
Dave - when you're done it would be really interesting to see some side by side before and after shots. Will be great to see the net impact of your 'tinkering' - so many little things that all seem to be adding up.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maxem
Ahh, I see, makes sense
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

For Paul and Walter 2K Racing Programme.

Friday 27/2

Practice Day $100 extra. Four 30 minute sessions Update: I will likely do the practice day as well in the Grinch.

Saturday 28/2 (included in entry fee)

9:30 Practice 1
10:45 Practice 2
2:13 Practice 3
4:49 Practice 4

Sunday 1/3

9:00 Qualifying
9:30 Qualifying
9:45 Qualifying

10:20 Race 1 Group 1 - 33mins
11:20 Race 1 Group 2 - 33mins
12:20 Race 1 Group 3 - 33mins

1:50 Race 2 Group 1 - 33mins
3:10 Race 2 Group 2 - 33mins
3:50 Race 2 Group 3 - 33mins

The above assumes that there are enough cars for three grids. There may be more races for two grids if numbers aren't there, which would be preferable as we have three drivers. Still plenty of track time to divide between 3 drivers.

Last edited by John McM; 02-18-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 PM
sp1ked
Instructor

John have you seen / read anything about us doing any of the practices on Saturday?

I'm heading down early Saturday morning and I'm thinking I will make the afternoon sessions.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:33 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sp1ked
John have you seen / read anything about us doing any of the practices on Saturday?

I'm heading down early Saturday morning and I'm thinking I will make the afternoon sessions.
Nothing yet. Apparently there will be a newsletter coming out soon.

I've managed to swing a day in lieu so I'm going for the three day effort. I'll do practice for two days then racing on Sunday. No idea where we are staying yet. It's all a bit new.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Now that's car **** of the highest order. Looks to be sold as well.

Dave - when you're done it would be really interesting to see some side by side before and after shots. Will be great to see the net impact of your 'tinkering' - so many little things that all seem to be adding up.
Yeah it would be interesting. It might not show much other than shiny paint. All the things I'm putting right seem to be hidden but they bug me all the same. It was largely a good car to start with so I'm really just sorting out the superficial aesthetic fringe and so far mechanically it seems to be in excellent shape. I've travelled 1200 miles since I've had it with two Doug runs so it has proven itself to me to be totally useable for any distance at any time. Typical SC I guess.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Originally Posted by John McM
Nothing yet. Apparently there will be a newsletter coming out soon. I've managed to swing a day in lieu so I'm going for the three day effort. I'll do practice for two days then racing on Sunday. No idea where we are staying yet. It's all a bit new.
I'll look out for that too. My wife has organised accommodation. Found a place with good reviews on bookabach just off Spa Road. Well priced for what we got. Even has views of the river. Perfect for an end of day beer.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:05 AM
integralenz
Intermediate

RUF looks familiar!
More interesting data re NZ/ UK pricing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-99...460&rmvSB=true
Old 02-19-2015, 07:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on the RUF price??

On another matter - I'm seriously liking this............1.02's at HD isn't too shabby either........

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-849365150.htm
Old 02-19-2015, 05:20 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
On another matter - I'm seriously liking this............1.02's at HD isn't too shabby either........

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/spec...-849365150.htm
Go on... I volunteer to help out as pit crew!

Just don't research the engine rebuild cost. A 1.6L 4AGE making ~240+ hp will make a Porsche rebuild look like chump change.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Go on... I volunteer to help out as pit crew!

Just don't research the engine rebuild cost. A 1.6L 4AGE making ~240+ hp will make a Porsche rebuild look like chump change.
150bhp per litre. Thats well beyond production car records (Ferrari Speciale 128-129 bhp/L) and into exoica....engine rebuild likely the current askig price of the entire package!

The RUF is a joke.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

A few hours more and I am back in the land of the long white cloud.

A busy weekend ahead. Apart from Neil is anyone else going to the Sunday Playday?

I'm torn between taking the Black Behemoth down to bring the Grinch back after running it and taking the R down for its first taste of the track. Cant drive two cars. I might have to do a mid week run to bring the Grinch back. At least petrol is cheap.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

This will throw the cat amongst the Pigeons.I just LOVE the spyder. They look great and are proving to be the best 987 car in terms of residuals followed closely by Cayman R especially in Europe. Be interesting how this new Spyder turns out. One thimg is sure a much greater range of customisation. If lighter with 3.8L and bigger brakes with PDK as an option could be a game changer. I doubt they will empower it as such...

To answer the question we posed last week, the Porsche Boxster spied in South Africa is indeed the 981 Spyder, and not only that, but we also learned some interesting details about the powertrain.

A source told Carscoops that this Boxster Spyder tester was running the same 3.8-liter flat-six engine paired up to a six-speed manual transmission as the recently revealed Cayman GT4 sports coupe in which it churns out 380bhp or 385PS.

That would make for an intriguing combination since the Spyder will surely be lighter than the regular Boxster as well as the Cayman GT4.

However, at this point, it's not clear whether Porsche will keep the 3.8-liter unit or if it will end up using the Boxster GTS' softer and smaller displacement 3.4-liter flat-six with 326hp (330PS) on the production model, as some reports from Germany claim.

In one of these two exclusive photos of the South African prototype, we see that the car has the classic and simple Spyder-model canvas top hooked on a redesigned engine lid. We're not sure though if the spyder top has been positioned over the standard Boxster's conventional top or if Porsche just left the rear section in place to keep the prototype's cabin enclosed. Whatever the case, the second picture of the car's seat with the "Spyder" logo embossed on the headrest leaves no doubt about what model this is.

If it keeps true to the spirit of the previous Boxster Spyder, then it will benefit from other weight saving measures, including the elimination of comfort features, while riding on a lowered and tweaked chassis.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?