Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting review of Macan S from my daily financial digest.

How can a Macan S be $49,000 USD in the US and 120,000+ NZD?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mee...ssy-2015-02-21
Old 02-22-2015, 12:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Macca, I'm running MPSS. Brand new rears and well worn fronts. Fine as a road tyre but they were relatively easy to over power yesterday. They felt squidgy at the end of each session. This is déjà vu with MPSS on the 996 TT, which led to the purchase of Z221s for Herman - still my favourite tyre.

Simon questioned the purchase of Herman two years back, reasoning that his track envelope wouldn't challenge me for long. He had a point however I see that platform as a great starting point, the 4wd is so predictable. I now know why some of you found turn 4 difficult; two driven wheels with the steering wheel still wound in and power on tap will lead to oversteer and a potential meeting with the wall. More than ever I now need lessons, which will also allow me access to insurance.

Herman does 100km/hr around the Sweeper on Z221s so I figure I have 10km/hr more to find there plus a better line to use all of the power up the straight. Track biased tyres and pads with lessons will take seconds off. I will look at GT3 LCAs to allow more camber and investigate the GT3 master cylinder mod as well.

For me, I suspect the R is all I will ever need in a road/track car and this is just the start of the journey.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. Apologies. I thought the R was running Bridgestones.

The R is know to wear front and rear tyres pretty much evenly on the track. If you have worn fronts and fresh rears you will be loosing some front end grip possibly. As the MPSS wear down to last 20% the compound changes and makes them much less suitable for track use I believe. The MPSS are more sensitive to pressure than a R comp, has a softer side wall so you need to be targeting an ideal hot temp more precisely than a Z221 and the window of optimum performance will be narrower. Remember the slip angles on the 2WD chassis are more and will spike the temps faster for an untidy lap...

I've never owned a 4WD 911 nor driven one on track, but what you say makes alot of sense. Welcome to the world of 2WD. The good news is when you figure it out you will probably be faster (unless its wet then you will need very big *****)! Its going to take a little relearning especially in a while new chassis and drive-line package but I have zero doubt you will end up fast and enjoying it more in the end.

Exit point of T10 as you straighten the wheel out maybe 10-20m after the rumble strip (left side of track) before climbing the straight is a good reference for whether you have hooked it up correctly for a nice Vmax. Neil and myself agree you know when you have it right with an indicated 155/6kmph there and 150kmph just on the edge of the rumble strip while still with some turn on the wheel. Checking out my entry to T10 from video in the GT3 back in July when I did the 1.14.01 lap it looks like mid 180s indicated but I think Im slower than some here braking to early. The other shorter straights throughout the track range 140-170 kmph.

I would keep the improvements simple and staggered for the R. Just get some new tyres on up front first (or replace all four corners with NT01 which many recommend), have the Geo checked/reset, and get some tuition so you can get the car covered on track by Prestigio.

After your covered on the track, have had that extra day out with an instructor with fresh tyres and can push on a bit have the pads (PFC 8 or 11?), GT3 master cylinder, RSS/Elephant racing LCRs and fluid all done at the same time to reduce replication and cost. Check if the 987 suffers small issues with difficult pad changes as 981/991 and if so order the caliper bolt kit and any other recommended upgrades from the R forum (braided lines?).

After that mate there is little else you need to do other than enjoy it and incrementally increase your track times. You can now play with tyre choices and additional negative camber at the front although the rear in teh R will always be your limiting factor. Im pretty certain the above changes will put you right in the low 17s and after that its just a bit more experience with the car to take another second or possibly two off of that time. Im not sure if you car is fitted with a harness and half cage but if it were my car id be visiting the guy who fabricated and painted that half cage for Peter Merideth (very nice weld work and nice design - not too pricey either) and have him make me something up that could handle 6 pots then buy some shcrothes and you are all done!

All IMHO of course and Im sure others with more knowledge than me on the platform will chime in...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I think this is a Heigo in a R, but I didn't feel at all exposed yesterday and the buckets kept me well planted so I won't be doing a cage and harnesses. PFC pads have been very good on Herman and I'd happily put some on the R.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. You are right thats a Heigo and you are right you probably dont need a cage and harness, it will kill rear luggage space and you can use the money to fund a season at PLaydays including fuel for that cost...
Old 02-22-2015, 02:32 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, I'm running MPSS. Brand new rears and well worn fronts. Fine as a road tyre but they were relatively easy to over power yesterday. They felt squidgy at the end of each session. This is déjà vu with MPSS on the 996 TT, which led to the purchase of Z221s for Herman - still my favourite tyre.

Simon questioned the purchase of Herman two years back, reasoning that his track envelope wouldn't challenge me for long. He had a point however I see that platform as a great starting point, the 4wd is so predictable. I now know why some of you found turn 4 difficult; two driven wheels with the steering wheel still wound in and power on tap will lead to oversteer and a potential meeting with the wall. More than ever I now need lessons, which will also allow me access to insurance.

Herman does 100km/hr around the Sweeper on Z221s so I figure I have 10km/hr more to find there plus a better line to use all of the power up the straight. Track biased tyres and pads with lessons will take seconds off. I will look at GT3 LCAs to allow more camber and investigate the GT3 master cylinder mod as well.

For me, I suspect the R is all I will ever need in a road/track car and this is just the start of the journey.
Bye Bye Herman??
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Bye Bye Herman??
No, not necessarily. A gentle retirement maybe with the occasional track day when I know other air cooled cars are turning up. I have a swag of track tyres and what seems like a lot more power so that needed to be used.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Who has the hot tip on the best place to get SRF or equiv. brake fluid?
Old 02-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
USA. Half the price. Id imagine its Hazmat tho. Otherwise Repco had a special on a while back IIRC but thats probably finished. If I were you I would conatct Mike at Prosport and get the endless stuff and ask for RSG discount I think it would out around $120 for a L
Old 02-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Bye Bye Herman??
:-) I think what you meant was:

Bye Bye Herman

Johns in denial. Probably like I am. Its only a matter of time now....LOL!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Auckland on the weekend for the Foo Fighters concert. I really wanted to get along to Caffeine & Classics. Due to family commitments I didnt make it until 12.30. Gotta say I was a little disappointed, It was just about empty, but looking at their FB page they had another 30 mins to run.
I did see what looked to be a could of Rennlisters? Sliver 997 Turbo, a 994 and a 964?
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I was in Auckland on the weekend for the Foo Fighters concert. I really wanted to get along to Caffeine & Classics. Due to family commitments I didnt make it until 12.30. Gotta say I was a little disappointed, It was just about empty, but looking at their FB page they had another 30 mins to run.
I did see what looked to be a could of Rennlisters? Sliver 997 Turbo, a 994 and a 964?
Expecting people people to hang around for the best part of a day once a month is a bit much to ask.

Nik - For future reference, you need to get there from between 9.30 - 10.30. After this time - people start drifting off.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Is this for the SC? I have a couple of litres of Porsche branded brake fluid. I think it was $75 per litre. SRF is closer to $175 per litre from CCS. Repco may still have it. I was surprised the Mobil Racing Oil was so well priced there. 20% off without even asking. I think it was to head off Super Cheap Auto.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

"for me the R is all I will ever need...."
We heard this all before. It will become the default road and track car with suitable mods keeping you happy for the next little while but when a couple more generations of Pcar have come out and the bubble has burst - a 991 gt3 will be 150k and we will all be thinking how can we get into one of those...
Old 02-22-2015, 05:18 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave - Segedins on Dominion Road should have Castrol SRF, at only the old inflated NZ cost, as opposed to mermaids' tears pricing. I picked up several bottles there recently and they bring it in by the box. BTW, you'll know this probably but it is silicon ester (not silicone) based and is miscible with normal DOT 4 fluids. It just loses it's additional benefits in proportion to how much of the DOT4 is mixed in with it. I run it pure, but wouldn't hesitate to top up with a good DOT 4 (eg RBF 600) if my fluid level was down too far and I didn't have any SRF to hand.

Leong72 and Chris (Moochier) - welcome aboard. Can't add much to Paul's prophecies of what the corrupting influence of the NZ Rennlisters will drag you into, but I look forward to riding shotgun as we find out.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?