Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Looks pretty rough to me, makes Dave's look good value.
only selling to buy a digger is right. that thing looks like it's been used as a farm tractor to me.

8 year + gembella suspension is probably up for replacement by now?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca going to be hard to figure which car to drive on your infrequent trips back, and the gt3 will be so fast on the track that it will be hard to beat....
Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
only selling to buy a digger is right. that thing looks like it's been used as a farm tractor to me. 8 year + gembella suspension is probably up for replacement by now?
Looking at the other listings and history the seller is a Porsche nut, which makes it even harder to understand the condition it's being presented in. IMHO there are two ways to look at this car 1. A base for a track/targa car where the C2 aspect is important but the rest is going to be binned so the interior etc doesn't matter 2. A roughie where you run it hard and spend nothing. Truth be known the second path makes more sense, however I'm not wired to have cars in that condition.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Looking at the other listings and history the seller is a Porsche nut, which makes it even harder to understand the condition it's being presented in. IMHO there are two ways to look at this car 1. A base for a track/targa car where the C2 aspect is important but the rest is going to be binned so the interior etc doesn't matter 2. A roughie where you run it hard and spend nothing. Truth be known the second path makes more sense, however I'm not wired to have cars in that condition.
Good thinking. I wonder if it is actually well serviced but the aesthetics not looked after.... Therefore could be reasonable value.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Good thinking. I wonder if it is actually well serviced but the aesthetics not looked after.... Therefore could be reasonable value.
Morning Doug, this time tomorrow it's track time!

Seeing how you look after your cars I can't imagine this car would work for you e.g. Would you walk past the Boxster to take this roughie for a Sunday drive? I don't think so. You'd just see the things that need doing.

Dave or Peter's car would make so much more sense as these cars get expensive quickly (I have the T shirt) if they are not in good condition. Pay a bit more upfront and know that you can sell years later for the same price or a profit.

Personally I think the 964 is on the up, but Kiwis don't look after their cars properly, as a generalisation, so there would be a lot of deferred maintenance in most cars. A good example are the front control arm bushes. You can drive for years with them needing replacement, so many do because it's close to $1,000 to get them professionally changed out.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Morning Doug, this time tomorrow it's track time! Seeing how you look after your cars I can't imagine this car would work for you e.g. Would you walk past the Boxster to take this roughie for a Sunday drive? I don't think so. You'd just see the things that need doing. Dave or Peter's car would make so much more sense as these cars get expensive quickly (I have the T shirt) if they are not in good condition. Pay a bit more upfront and know that you can sell years later for the same price or a profit. Personally I think the 964 is on the up, but Kiwis don't look after their cars properly, as a generalisation, so there would be a lot of deferred maintenance in most cars. A good example are the front control arm bushes. You can drive for years with them needing replacement, so many do because it's close to $1,000 to get them professionally changed out.
Thanks John... Appreciated. I totally agree with your advice. Buy we'll and spend to get a good car.

What I'm really itching for / dreaming about is a completely rebuilt long hood hot rod that I can track and enjoy owning. For me it would need to be completely stripped and rebuilt from the ground up. Less about matching numbers and originality and more about my dream. Strongly influenced by what Magnus Walker builds. A car I can enjoy owning , have a crazy paint scheme, and take to the track plus Sunday spirited drives.

The Boxster suits my requirements for DD, long cruise holidays, and spirited Sunday drives. I enjoy track days but don't want to thrash and break the car or go down the slippery slope of modifications. I like having it in great nick with good stereo, roof down, exploring NZ with Jan.

Feels like I'll sit on the sidelines and think a lot more before making any moves. This part is a lot of fun and learning. It took me 9 months research to get the 987. Might end up following Dave's path.

See you tomorrow. I'm bringing a business associate/mate Jesse who has his 3rd plus p-car, 996t, and wants to experience what we do in RSG.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, cross post elsewhere as folks on three boards internationally following the thread...have some sweet GoPro footage of all out ragged 9000rpm shifts in tunnels (160kmph) for fun will have to edit them sometime and put up link. Interesting to see wifes involuntary hand and leg movements when the hammer is nailed! Camera mounted on harness bar mount has good coverage activated by keyfob remote....

Weather has been perfect from the day we got to Europe, been carried away with Car stuff so will post some Tourist stuff gradually (mostly on wifes camera).

I used the tyre pressure monitor to guage heat in the tyres. Once I showed 2.2 on fronts and 2.4+ on rears (cold around 1.9 and 2.1) I knew I had enough heat in them to allow a little extra latitude. That said taking it easy in full auto made progress very swift and safe. You simply cant change as smoothly in a manual as you can a PDK and this really is the key on slippery surfaces as the car lets the clutch in in a much more controlled manner. Not once did we get the TC light on unless I put a full boot into it. The Michelin PSC2 is a new generation tyre like the Super Sport and seems to have much wider application than the older MPSC IMO. This tyre is good for a much wider range of conditions and temps....

So today we drive from Como to Rapallo and finally now the running in Kms completed we get to find out what she is like at 9000rpm. Guys, firstly the sound is quite incredible - very addictive. You need alot of road. I have some gopro footage of us leaving a toll booth on the autostrada for the first time flooring it and quite simply its the fastest car Ive driven. In no time we were at 205 kmph, the sound is glorious, the shifts held to 9000rpm and this was in full auto. Later we repeatedly did the same in manual in tunnels with the windows down the gopro footage is quite remarkable. Through the twisty roads from Milano to Rapallo the car sticks like glue, steering direct and scalpel like.

Now in Rapallo the daytime temps are 13-15 and only 5-6 overnight. Tomorrow I will drive alone the Rapallo to Bobbio route - 95km of very windy untrafficed roads some say one of the greatest but least known driving roads in Northern Italy. Google says 2hrs & 2 mins. Lets see! I should hope by the time I return I should have the measure of this car. Weather is perfect and temps should be around 10-14C so tyres will not be an issue.....

Check out a preview....
Porsche 4S Weaving it's way down to Rapallo 1.m4v - YouTube
Attached Images      
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty rough to me, makes Dave's look good value.
I looked at this car about two and a half years ago. It belongs to I think the step-father of a rennlister who posts here occasionally. IIRC he had it on ™ for $45K then and my recollection is it was as rough as it looks in the pictures. Rubbers were shot or missing and the lower RH sill was literally hanging off. Engine bay looked rough and interior had suffered from years of muddy gumboots. On the positive side it seemed to pull really well (tho probably not any better than any other good 964) and I had thought it might have made a good basis for a track car project, but at $45 firm I thought was unrealistic and he wasn't interested in budging at the time. I'd be interested to see what a PPI brings up.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, will read your post when I have my glasses.

For the others who can get to CCS today. Carrera GT on there.
Attached Images     
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Like a mini car museum
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Anyone interested in a rendezvous somewhere on route to RSG tomorrow? Maybe BP on SH1 near Drury?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Anyone interested in a rendezvous somewhere on route to RSG tomorrow? Maybe BP on SH1 near Drury?
Jason, Dave, Peter, Tony and I are leaving in convoy from my place at 7:15. For us, Drury is half way to HD. Probably even more for you. Why not exit the Motorway at Mt Wellington and wait for us to come through there? My cars are gassed up so no need to fill at Drury and once a convoy starts it's like herding cats to get them to stop and restart easily.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Crikey, you guys like getting up early. OK. Looks like there is somewhere to sit by the on ramp there. ETA?
Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Crikey, you guys like getting up early. OK. Looks like there is somewhere to sit by the on ramp there. ETA?
Peter's timing, which is taking account of the need to open pit garage and get generally sorted.

I reckon we will go through the on ramp no earlier than 7:30.

Open invite to any other lurkers as well. Not trying to make it bigger than Ben Hur. It's just coming together because we have a nucleus of cars leaving at the same time. Will buy a go pro today to get good footage.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I was offered a Carrera GT last week from my Swiss dealer. if anyone is interested 250K Euro...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?