Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:23 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
It's done. Last look and walk away
Its a sad pic but at least you are lucky enough to have known a car that was so hard to say goodbye to
Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Nice, thanks for the info, is much appreciated. Steel brakes Matt which I'm glad for, wouldn't want the stress of owning PCCB. Thanks for the heads up on pads, is no doubt the next question I'll have, but one better placed on the Turbo forum I'm sure.

Just picked up 2 x 1L bottles from Repco for $100 each. There's 13 more showing on their site (no more at Pukekohe...) but it was as simple as asking for the Pukekohe store to transfer to the store nearest me, am sure the others can do the same for anyone else after fluid. Cheaper than buying from the USA.

http://www.clearancecentre.repco.co....cription%3DSrf

Assuming there's a single type of Castrol SRF out there, and shelf life is relatively long until use.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PHG
I do agree that times in all our different cars are not relevant, but as my Dad always said .. 'its not a race .. until some bastard passes me'.
Made me laugh out loud that did! Cheers
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nzskater
Thanks Sam, nice VW. This is the ideal car from my partner's point of view, but her acceptance criteria boils down to "does it have a pretty face". The cruiser needs to double as an occasional DD for her as well, and I can't see this working for her, especially given she can't (yet) drive a manual.

Are you going to come along to the April 28th track day?

Nice work John, looking forward to seeing the Cayman in action.
Probably not the easiest manual to start with then i'll keep the hunt going, Been avoiding any track days to err on the side of caution while we are expecting, hence not coming to the open day, which sounds awesome, could be needing a getaway by April!

Also with the SRF you probably know but I have been told by several people it does not mix well at all with Original Porsche fluid so you will have to drain it completly. Was thinking of switching myself but haven't experienced any soft pedal that a small brake bleed hasn't fixed yet.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Macca with your Porsche Tap, Porsche downlight, Porsche Toboggan and Porsche undies etc I haven't seen you with any of these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/ski-...-836934557.htm
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Correct, SRF doesn't play well with normal fluid so it must be completely drained before putting SRF in.

It's a good idea to keep spare SRF fluid in the car and mark the reservoir cap with SRF only so no one makes an error topping it off with normal fluid.

In emergencies you can too off with normal fluid, but then the whole system will need flushing. I read that one of the problems with mixing is that normal fluid absorbs water whereas SRF doesn't. If you mix SRF with normal fluid there is a possibility of water pooling in the braking system.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Macca with your Porsche Tap, Porsche downlight, Porsche Toboggan and Porsche undies etc I haven't seen you with any of these? http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/ski-...-836934557.htm
Thanks mate - its now on my watch list!

As you know the Porsche tap & Downlight are on the block. But I do have the Vintage Porsche SkiBob, Vintage Porsche FS bike and the Porsche design Toboggan so I bloody well need the Skis to complete the collection!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 AM
mjg
Pro

Correct, SRF doesn't play well with normal fluid so it must be completely drained before putting SRF in.

It's a good idea to keep spare SRF fluid in the car and mark the reservoir cap with SRF only so no one makes an error topping it off with normal fluid.

In emergencies you can too off with normal fluid, but then the whole system will need flushing. I read that one of the problems with mixing is that normal fluid absorbs water whereas SRF doesn't. If you mix SRF with normal fluid there is a possibility of water pooling in the braking system.
SRF is hygroscopic, just like all polyethylene glycol-based brake fluids. That's obvious from the fact that they list both wet and dry boiling points and from the fact that Castrol recommend flushing every 18 months.

It's miscible with all other polyethylene glycol-based fluids too, but obviously if you mix SRF with a lower performance fluid you reduce the benefit of the SRF, which is why it's recommended to use a single fluid in the system.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 AM
sp1ked
Instructor

Looking super clean Dave. Nice job on the wheels too.

Originally Posted by Maxem
No ice driving or cafe cruising for me, just hard toil in the garage. Front spoiler gone, it was pretty crappy. Shame about the later valance but it is a bit cleaner now at least.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
SRF is hygroscopic, just like all polyethylene glycol-based brake fluids. That's obvious from the fact that they list both wet and dry boiling points and from the fact that Castrol recommend flushing every 18 months. It's miscible with all other polyethylene glycol-based fluids too, but obviously if you mix SRF with a lower performance fluid you reduce the benefit of the SRF, which is why it's recommended to use a single fluid in the system.
My bad. SRF works two ways:

1. It is less hydroscopic than normal glycol ester fluids

2. It reacts with water to reduce the impact on the boiling point.

SRF is Dot 4. For some reason I thought it was Dot 5, which is not recommended for racing as water pools in calipers. I think Dot 5 is silicone whereas SRF is Silicon Ester.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Getting cabin fever. I'm trying to figure out where I can test the suspension without making a pest of myself.
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2015, 02:51 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Getting cabin fever. I'm trying to figure out where I can test the suspension without making a pest of myself.
Woodcocks Rd - after work tomorrow?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:56 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Woodcocks Rd - after work tomorrow?
Bit far for a work evening but I like the way you are thinking.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:57 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bit far for a work evening but I like the way you are thinking.
Only up the road from me. You need to knock off early!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Only up the road from me. You need to knock off early!
I bookended today with the Turbo 3.6 delivery and R service so nose to the grindstone for a bit.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?