Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gene at Racers products is great. Leong and I got our Race Technologies RE10 from him for the GT3/4 and he supplied Leong with his Brembo Type III rotors. Both were priced well enough that importing them was not particularly worthwhile.

CCB is the wrong solution for a track car I think. A complete aftermarket solution for the GT3 will bet 25-45K dependent on whether RaceBrakes or Movit etc. Fine if you are loaded, or if you are racing for money but the pad choices and fragility of the systems need consideration. The Porsche PCCB system is still not quite durable enough in its latest generation with heavily tracked cars needing replacement rotors due to think surface due to oxidation. there is a company who can re surface these now but its still money spent on top of a very expensive option vs steel where the choice of rotors and pads even for the latest cars like the GT3/RS is large.

If the car is being sold in the next few weeks after it is tidied up, and given you are selling fair price and not gouging, I would honestly just put the most reasonably priced and quick to hand solution on the car Pel. You are the dream vendor, you always spend a tonne on your cars before you sell them!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Not sure about other folks on here but Ive been absolutely stunned at how well the new Porsche Cayman 718 S is going in the latest big car magazine car of the year awards! I dont think Ive read one where it has placed lower than mid group and often its nibbling just behind the MacLaren 570S or the 488 GTB.

Even in terms of track times the latest Autocar mag has it running just behind the BMW M4 GTS on a 3.2km track. The road reviews have been reasonable too (the sound of the engine aside).

If there were three surprises for 2016 in the performance car stakes review wise I think they would be how well the 718S and GTi Clubsport have performed and how poorly the BMW M4 GTS has ranked...
Old 11-07-2016, 05:31 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

On the CCM solutions: The product I linked would be a $20k investment up front (+ shipping and tax), including calipers etc, basically everything you need to transition. Once you're there, it's about USD$900 per corner for new rotor rings, and USD$500 per end for pads.

No question there are still potential problems if you are running them over 750 degrees, but depending on usage these may actually work out either even or cheaper in the (very) long run. Plus low dust!! (how many bottles of Dragon's Breath would that equate to?...)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I can see it breaking even after 70 track days (if you can get the steel ones lasting say 15 track days for a front set and 25 for a rear - lets say $2250 fitted an axle and $600 an axle for decent pads). In the states I know guys who will do that in 2-3 seasons but for most of us that would be almost 6 years of track work and Im not sure many of us would keep the same track car for that long. If you have the budget however they would simplify life considerably and reduce workshop hours etc.

Seb in Australia just had these bad boys fitted to his (already PCCB speeced) 991 RS. Nice but at 45K fitted we are talking only for the well heeled or Narcos.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2016, 12:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

What the view on the UK Ginetta Series for those who are aware of it?

http://www.ginetta.com/racing.php?ch...=grdc&tab=info

Ive looked at it on and off over a few years and thought it would be the ideal one make race series in NZ. The cars are cheap and they handle well. In the Uk its 25k NZD per annum for the car and trackside support for a total of around 4 or 6 race meetings a year IIRC. Seems fairly reasonable....
Old 11-08-2016, 02:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like quite a few more GT4's coming into NZ, was surprised to stumble across 2 club members picking theirs up today when getting my car serviced?

Given an RSG'er is bringing one in too (all the same colour) bodes well for used market in a few years time (hopefully) - the joys of economic booms' - lots of cars :-)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes, those are the last of the NZ orders starting to arrive. I believe Cayman GT4 production ceased late September so Id imagine this will be the last or second to last shipment of NZ cars arriving. 29 or 30 in all I believe. Over 210x delivered to Australia already and 30+ for sale in the UK, so they are out there if you want one. That being said I dont expect them to depreciate quickly in 2017 - Ive heard only 1 or 2 being re sold and at around list, which for the average specc'ed NZ car is between 210-225K by the looks of things....

On that subject 991 RS is still in production with a few more to arrive in NZ before year end. I believe Richard gets his next month and it will be in the last shipment to hit NZ....after that its the 991.2 GT3 which should start arriving in NZ around Xmas 2017.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
I can see it breaking even after 70 track days (if you can get the steel ones lasting say 15 track days for a front set and 25 for a rear - lets say $2250 fitted an axle and $600 an axle for decent pads). In the states I know guys who will do that in 2-3 seasons but for most of us that would be almost 6 years of track work and Im not sure many of us would keep the same track car for that long. If you have the budget however they would simplify life considerably and reduce workshop hours etc.

Seb in Australia just had these bad boys fitted to his (already PCCB speeced) 991 RS. Nice but at 45K fitted we are talking only for the well heeled or Narcos.
The numbers definitely don't work for me! Would love to trial them for a summer, but not interested enough to justify the outlay.

That RS looks great, and I'm sure the kit he's installed will be fantastic, but $45k!?! I need a submarine...

Love the mixed wheel colours. The paint Arrow used on my wheels isn't holding up very well, so I'll repaint sometime early next year. Am considering something a little more unique.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:32 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ginetta

Originally Posted by Macca
What the view on the UK Ginetta Series for those who are aware of it?

http://www.ginetta.com/racing.php?ch...=grdc&tab=info

Ive looked at it on and off over a few years and thought it would be the ideal one make race series in NZ. The cars are cheap and they handle well. In the Uk its 25k NZD per annum for the car and trackside support for a total of around 4 or 6 race meetings a year IIRC. Seems fairly reasonable....
Haven't seen more than one or two Ginettas in the metal/fibreglass, but have always placed their road stuff somewhere between kit cars and Marcoses and the likes of Lotus as a marque. Their formula gets my vote:

This is a car with no power steering, no ABS and certainly no stability control. ‘It’s designed to be a car that a novice driver could take to its limit,’ says Ginetta boss Lawrence Tomlinson. ‘It teaches you how to drive, and how to drive properly.’

That it does; with a short wheelbase it’s relatively twitchy, and on road tyres it squirms around merrily under braking.

On the road, the G40’s a great antidote to the typically over-assisted performance cars we’ve become accustomed to. It’s raw and engaging in a way that most cars have forgotten how to be

From http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...c-2015-review/
Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
The numbers definitely don't work for me! Would love to trial them for a summer, but not interested enough to justify the outlay.

That RS looks great, and I'm sure the kit he's installed will be fantastic, but $45k!?! I need a submarine...

Love the mixed wheel colours. The paint Arrow used on my wheels isn't holding up very well, so I'll repaint sometime early next year. Am considering something a little more unique.
Just practice asking people if they want "Plata o Plomo" (silver or lead) and you'll be on your merry way to a set of Movit brakes in no time LOL!. Great series aye....
Old 11-08-2016, 05:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The GT3 in the picture above is for sale in Australia. It has 79K AUD of options (many exclusive) plus a further 70K of options the owners has had put on the car! Retail for the car was 549K AUD before the additional options!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:58 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul, where they both Metallic Agate Grey, Kiwis always take a safe option aye.

I'm probably gonna wrap the car straight away to try protect from track rash behind the wheels. Don't know much about wrap but hoping Carmine Red, or just wrap the same colour.
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Pel
Pro

Love the apple wrap on that GT3, very creative.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:07 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand that the movit rotors can be resurfaced easily - if so do you know how much Macca?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 AM
Pel
Pro

G40 Series looks like fun reminds me of old Porsches in a way, cool company too. Similar here is probably the Toyota 86 series.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?