Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 368 Posts

Sam, we're open to any ideas. The current banner was a low effort decision. I think Macca suggested the font and Redline put it into a simple design. It's worked well, but I agree that not all owners want their cars plastered with a banner 24/7.

As for the sight on the Western motorway, I would love a photo on the three lane 964 effort. I think Macca is the only one who could have taken it given Chris was a passenger. Maybe in the future we could leave en masse for HD playdays. Would be some great pics and/or video.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmmm. John. Now that's sounding like my videographer idea! I knew it was only a matter of time before you cottoned on!

Regards the drive. How efficient are these 20+ year old 911s! 300Km fast driving just over half a tank of fuel. Reminds me of the Targa Tour. Some days a single fill for the 993 and the turbos and GTRs in the group 2+ tanks.

That reminds me this move to turbos for fuel efficiency is a load of cobblers. Car companies have sweet tuned ECUs to give best turbo efficiency at 4000rpm for Euro tests but show me a turbo of any capacity that doesnt use more fuel when driven with a little zest (or just everyday real life) than a NA 3.6 flat six and Ill eat Davids camo hat!
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Documenting an event is not easy even with a videographer. The spontaneity goes quickly. However I do see a place for clever post production editing a la "go cars not show cars". My $67 Jaycar video is only good for traffic accident monitoring. I think I will get a GoPro. If we had a few amongst the group someone could collate it. BTW on a tv quality picture is the base hero 3 good enough?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The base hero 3 is good for 1080 HD resolution at 60fps. The 3 black edition was good for up to 2700 at 30fps and the new 3 plus gets you 4000 at 40fps. Thing is nothing you can buy domestical will display more than 1080 at native resolution anyhow so the base 3 is good enough unless you are making movies for the cinema!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
The base hero 3 is good for 1080 HD resolution at 60fps. The 3 black edition was good for up to 2700 at 30fps and the new 3 plus gets you 4000 at 40fps. Thing is nothing you can buy domestical will display more than 1080 at native resolution anyhow so the base 3 is good enough unless you are making movies for the cinema!
Any traps with additional costs for car use?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No. If you use the stick on bracket that comes with it only recommended additional cost is an additional spare battery and a 32gb micro sd. The accessories seem fairly priced and readibly available. They make a roll cage mount which seems to work ok too I found. The perdect solution for an Aim user would be smartycam but the price is on drugs!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Grab an older Black or the new Silver Plus so you get 1080p60, other than that as Macca has said, no point in going 4k unless you've just gone out and picked up a new 84" TV...

John, only trap I've found is the fact I have an Alcantara lined roof, so mount points are few and far between. A cage would have multiple options I'm sure, but for my car I may need to setup some sort of a tripod in the back seat or mount it against the passenger window. That's assuming you want a view of the car interior at all. If you're only after the road then a dash or windscreen mount may suffice.

On the NA vs Turbo fuel consumption; I used just a little under 50l (going by my rough maths and the post drive fill, significant room for error as I didn't really pay attention at the pump). My car is surprisingly fuel efficient, if I try to drive it like a Prius. Any weight in my foot and it starts to consume gas like a fat man at a pie eating contest. But in all honesty I'd be gutted if it didn't, I didn't buy it to save on petrol!

edit: turns out the newer model has better image quality, and produces footage with a different FOV (SuperView): http://nofilmschool.com/2013/10/comp...3-gopro-hero3/

Last edited by nzskater; 12-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Oh joy. It's never a simple comparison with technology. That's why I've decided to stay in the '90s with my track car.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
You're right! I would need to have a play with the logo in photoshop before I commit to anything. How would you guys like a smaller version for the rear 3/4 window or rear window when not rocking the front banner? I think since mine is primarily a road car it needs something to suit.
That's a nice idea Sam. I've left mine on and use the car every day but overall would be happier with a subtle "footer" sticker for the rear window. Generally I prefer no "advertising" but now have a rennlist.com and 911_50 to go on the rear window. I'm also working on ideas (in my head) for t shirts for RSG so will email you to see if we can come up with a nice subtle result.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Howdy, yes it was a great drive, thanks Doug and Pete for sorting that route. I was lucky to make it after my minor epoxy accident. The swelling around my eyes retreated enough to make out Porsche shapes in front but not the speedo to check my 104 kph limit. Gratuitous 964 shot attached.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
Howdy, yes it was a great drive, thanks Doug and Pete for sorting that route. I was lucky to make it after my minor epoxy accident. The swelling around my eyes retreated enough to make out Porsche shapes in front but not the speedo to check my 104 kph limit. Gratuitous 964 shot attached.
Was nice to see all those sweet 964s and their proud owners for sure. Can't see how Pete's going to part with his :-) Hope the recovery comes quick and see you on the 14th.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
How would you guys like a smaller version for the rear 3/4 window or rear window when not rocking the front banner? I think since mine is primarily a road car it needs something to suit.
Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
That's a nice idea Sam. I've left mine on and use the car every day but overall would be happier with a subtle "footer" sticker for the rear window. Generally I prefer no "advertising" but now have a rennlist.com and 911_50 to go on the rear window.
On a related note, I was just looking yesterday at track outline decals (e.g. http://www.trackdecals.com/collectio...ines-australia, yes the NZ tracks are under "Australia"). What do people think about these -- hot, or not? They come in various sizes and I'm sure we could get a good discount with a reasonable sized order. I can herd the cats on this one if people are interested.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
On a related note, I was just looking yesterday at track outline decals (e.g. http://www.trackdecals.com/collectio...ines-australia, yes the NZ tracks are under "Australia"). What do people think about these -- hot, or not? They come in various sizes and I'm sure we could get a good discount with a reasonable sized order. I can herd the cats on this one if people are interested.
Snap, Matt G mentioned HD Decals yesterday. Happy to be herded. By 27 March I will qualify to put all of the tracks on my car.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 AM
mjg
Pro

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered eight HD decals when the Black Friday sale was on, so those are available for anyone interested.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered eight HD decals when the Black Friday sale was on, so those are available for anyone interested.
I'll take one, thanks.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?