Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015 | 07:13 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
... and I think there are a few new folk like Pcarplayer who would like to join us which is great....
Too right Macca. Getting it sorted. Need to boost the 964 numbers. Maybe Lola will be back in the game by then too
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:19 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Jake if you're still looking for a summer cruiser here's a nice air-cooled machine to provide antithesis to the Turbo..
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-831546019.htm
Thanks Sam, nice VW. This is the ideal car from my partner's point of view, but her acceptance criteria boils down to "does it have a pretty face". The cruiser needs to double as an occasional DD for her as well, and I can't see this working for her, especially given she can't (yet) drive a manual.

Are you going to come along to the April 28th track day?

Originally Posted by John McM
Jeez, I go offline for a few hours and it's all on.

Macca, I took your suggestion to my boss and it's agreed. I will work on ANZAC Day and take the 28th in lieu.

L
Nice work John, looking forward to seeing the Cayman in action.
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Too right Macca. Getting it sorted. Need to boost the 964 numbers. Maybe Lola will be back in the game by then too

Warwick, good to have you on board. I see you are all signed up now as is Phil G. That's 22! We still have the likes of Richard S, John H, Sean S etc to sign up. I think we will make the existing 25 quota without issue.

Doug has signed up - the power of positive thought. Im sure Lola will be ready in time and if not there is the RS60.

John, ask Paul to help you take the R and run both is you wish. The format lends itself very well to that.

Joanna & Mandy will organise food/drink like last time and we will have a feast afterwards.
Old 01-20-2015 | 07:57 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
That last photo is a heartbreaker.
+1

Originally Posted by nzskater
She was only going to break your heart mate. Better to cut it short and move on to some younger metal.
Nice analogy Jake - suspect he has already moved on - that younger metal is addictive!

Originally Posted by Macca
Phil. Its $225 for the day. Will be a big BBQ afterwards. I noticed you are not an RSG member (of did I miss something)? Whats up with that - youve been to more playdays events than me! Time to sign up with Pete mate and get on our little private forum and join us on the 28 April mate to watch the summer sun go down with a cold one after a great afternoon on the track....
Originally Posted by PHG
I thought I sent some money to Pete forever ago.. maybe he can enlighten things..If not, than I shall revisit the issue..$100 bucks as I recall
Phil - I'll have you signed up today so you can access the RSG web forum and sign up for events directly there. I seem to recall a contribution in pizza that will suffice!

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
It's all a giggle - we are all supportive of one another.
Wholeheartedly agree. Its the price you pay for a wide range of personalities
- welcome to the interweb. This is generally a whole lot more civil than a good % of the thread over on Pistonheads... though sometimes its fun to be a voyeur and dirty yourself over there!

Originally Posted by PHG
Irrelevant and/or inaccurate pissing contests are part of it.
LOL - too true! Gilbert wisdom for sure!
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:01 PM
Maxem
Drifting

This sounds like a good day coming up. You are right Macca, we are far from driving gods but living as one in my own mind makes me feel good!
You know, turning up at HD, fettling the car, squeezing into the race suit, click of the harnesses, getting into first, booting it out of the pit lane......the fact that I'm a fair bit closer to the talentless end of the scale behind the wheel is secondary to the occasion!
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:11 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

RE brake fluid, I've been thinking about this only because I'm forever reading about people changing over to Castrol/Motul, and am getting closer to a major service. Out of interest, how many here run the OEM (ATE I think?) fluid?

Reference for boiling points: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/2012/155.pdf
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:14 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

Now the difficult choices over what to take. The R has to be there, but so does Herman as by that stage I hope to have him sorted on the dyno. Paul might need a ride down. No doubt the R might tempt him
s.
This isn't funny dude - went to see my car yesterday and it's still under covers, no work on the 993 and the Audi still has it's ding............
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:24 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
This sounds like a good day coming up. You are right Macca, we are far from driving gods but living as one in my own mind makes me feel good!
You know, turning up at HD, fettling the car, squeezing into the race suit, click of the harnesses, getting into first, booting it out of the pit lane......the fact that I'm a fair bit closer to the talentless end of the scale behind the wheel is secondary to the occasion!
Whatever mate - Mendes and you are sand-baggers in your Pcars, but the BB times show you guys are no slouches.

It's quite interesting that the BB lap time spread is only about 1 sec for most of us and that anyone could probably be at the top of the leader board given a grippy track and a full day to get into the groove.

Maybe we are all driving gods??
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:29 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Dave - while I remember, I saw the 74 back date 911 in shades of grey that you had spotted. It's at Stu's getting some work done on it. It's quite good bones for a back date project and well done so far.

There are also a couple of manual 964 C4's for those who are 964 fans.........
John McM
Rennlist Member

This isn't funny dude - went to see my car yesterday and it's still under covers, no work on the 993 and the Audi still has it's ding............
Yes, but look on the positive side, Herman has a new windscreen and I didn't have to wait long.....
Macca
Rennlist Member

Whatever mate - Mendes and you are sand-baggers in your Pcars, but the BB times show you guys are no slouches.

It's quite interesting that the BB lap time spread is only about 1 sec for most of us and that anyone could probably be at the top of the leader board given a grippy track and a full day to get into the groove.

Maybe we are all driving gods??
^^^ Love it mate!
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Whatever mate - Mendes and you are sand-baggers in your Pcars, but the BB times show you guys are no slouches. It's quite interesting that the BB lap time spread is only about 1 sec for most of us and that anyone could probably be at the top of the leader board given a grippy track and a full day to get into the groove. Maybe we are all driving gods??
I'm getting the Grinch sorted. Will also get parts for BB. BB2 is ok as is unless someone wants to take her away for a toe adjustment. Really keen to try the Integra train again.
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:52 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by nzskater
RE brake fluid, I've been thinking about this only because I'm forever reading about people changing over to Castrol/Motul, and am getting closer to a major service. Out of interest, how many here run the OEM (ATE I think?) fluid?

Reference for boiling points: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/2012/155.pdf
OEM seems to be ATE SL or Pentosin Super DOT 4, which are around 265°C dry/165°C wet. The general consensus is to keep an eye on the wet BP as that's what the fluid degrading to, but since there's little to no documentation about how fast the various fluids absorb moisture, it doesn't tell you much about when you should bleed or flush the system.

I ran fresh OEM fluid in my old 964 for a few track sessions, but I'd end up with a softer pedal (but still okay braking) about half way through a day at the track. I switched to SRF after that, and it was much improved. It'll be different car-to-car; the 997T will generate much more heat from higher speeds, but has a much bigger brake system and better cooling than a 964, so it's hard to say how much my experience would apply to your car. Any of the "race" fluids will be a decent upgrade. The most important thing is that the fluid is fresh (<6 months old) and, if you've had any pedal softness at a previous event or in the previous session, at a minimum bleed the calipers before going out again.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the weakness may be the pads rather than the fluid (or will certainly be the pads after the fluid). After switching the 964 to SRF, I would run through a set of OEM rear pads in a couple of days since the wear increases dramatically at higher temperatures. There are various pads that provide difference compromises along the street-track-race spectrum depending on your needs, driving style, and budget. Then, once you've upgraded the pads, you'll probably find pads that are better for the track are much harder on your brake rotors... of course, there's an upgrade path for that too. I can't remember if your car has PCCBs, but if it does, have a chat to Steve R and a read online about using them on track... they can end up being extremely expensive if they're overheated or the pads are permitted to wear down too much.
Old 01-20-2015 | 08:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

For a cost comparison. SRF is approx $150 per litre compared Porsche fluid at $75 per litre.

My 996TT took one litre. The C4 took two litres. For the modern cars at least it's not an expensive upgrade. I've never had brake fade post SRF installation in the C4.
Old 01-20-2015 | 09:22 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Dave - while I remember, I saw the 74 back date 911 in shades of grey that you had spotted. It's at Stu's getting some work done on it. It's quite good bones for a back date project and well done so far.

There are also a couple of manual 964 C4's for those who are 964 fans.........
That would be it. The Lady hasn't responded to my offer on the day and I didn't get her number. Never mind, I have enough to do now with the SC and this one looked like a car that could keep you busy and broke.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?