Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Now is when I start working on you to sell it. Shame its not Dave else I'd only have to wait a month or so
You have two shows, no show and sh$t show

I'm in lust. It doesn't have the classic profile of the turbo 3.6 or its low down power delivery, but it's sublime for it's intended purpose, the track. It's like the 991 GT3 and RS60 had a love child.
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Now is when I start working on you to sell it. Shame its not Dave else I'd only have to wait a month or so
I can't afford flash metal like that
Old 01-17-2015, 12:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just loving it John and its exactly as you say. At HD today we were all saying what a great car that is and when the GT4 breaks cover at $220k it's going to seem like a very good deal as it's the predecessor and made in limited numbers....

Only problem I see mate is Herman getting the love now. You'll find you'll be grabbing the R keys 8 out of 10 times because it's new, fun, modern, quick and easy. On the track it's going to give you a 1.17 with air con on and music blaring and on long tours you'll be as fresh as Doug after a 4 hour drive!!

Well done!!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:29 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Just loving it John and its exactly as you say. At HD today we were all saying what a great car that is and when the GT4 breaks cover at $220k it's going to seem like a very good deal as it's the predecessor and made in limited numbers.... Only problem I see mate is Herman getting the love now. You'll find you'll be grabbing the R keys 8 out of 10 times because it's new, fun, modern, quick and easy. On the track it's going to give you a 1.17 with air con on and music blaring and on long tours you'll be as fresh as Doug after a 4 hour drive!! Well done!!
Sounds like someone knows the challenges of driving old and new cars designed for the same purpose...

Seriously, I had a drive today and it's an epic car. I love mine but the R is better in every way. Noticably lighter, mint condition all round, sport modes, buckets. I'm predicting that despite John's recent conversion to car sales apprentice, this one will stay in the garage for a good few years.

And Dougie has no show!!
Old 01-17-2015, 01:27 AM
O2GO
Drifting

... And Dougie has no show!!
It's awesome news John. As I said to you, riding to and around Oakura (with Macca and I) in modern kit made for an expensive little break.

So we go from 964 touring to RS60 and Cayman R. My only chance is on "my" back roads :-P
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Congrats on the R purchase John. This new car thing is getting contagious! Anyone have a nice manual 996TT for sale
Old 01-17-2015, 04:22 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn guys, all this new car purchasing going on is seriously killing my resistance to do the same ... Had to immediately go and give mine (the car) a good wash.

Looking forward to seeing the new kit.

Congrats to Steve & Sean on today's results!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:53 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The challenges of a modern Porsche with no jack, wheel spanner and no space saver.

Today I found out how helpless we can by when we have tyre troubles in a modern Porsche. At the peak of an early morning spirited drive my left rear tyre delaminated and dropped about 10-25mm of inside edge tread and sidewall which promptly wound itself around the suspension making a hell of a din. I braked hard and pulled over. It took quite a lot of on my stomach looking and feeling around with fingers to figure out what had happened.

In order to limp the 20 minutes back to the beach house I needed to remove the wheel and clean up the mess.

Not possible. The modern porsche has no jack and no wheel brace. All you've got is a piffy set of tools, a pack of puncture gunk and an electric tyre pump.

Fortunately I had cell phone reception and could call Jan to gather up a few tools from the bach to come and rescue me. With where I've been driving and intended to go this morning I could have been way out of cellular reception so would have been walking in search of a farm house.

I remove the wheel, unwound the rubber and string that was wound around the suspension. Checked there was no damage. Trimmed some loose threads off the tyre and reinstalled it. Drove gingerly back to the bach.

There's only 20% life left in the rear tyres and fortunately I'd been ringing around looking for replacement tyres. I knew Bridgestone have 3 in the country but confirmed in a call that they are in their wellington warehouse.

Tonight at the RSG barbecue the RSG crew hatched a rescue plan. Tomorrow morning Pete is taking the 3 hour drive each way to Oakura with one of John's 19" Cayman R wheels which I can use to get the car home.

What a great team!! I'll be forever grateful!!
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2015, 04:54 AM
O2GO
Drifting

The surplus tyre bits
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2015, 04:55 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Jan took this for posterity
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2015, 06:01 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
The challenges of a modern Porsche with no jack, wheel spanner and no space saver. Today I found out how helpless we can by when we have tyre troubles in a modern Porsche. At the peak of an early morning spirited drive my left rear tyre delaminated and dropped about 10-25mm of inside edge tread and sidewall which promptly wound itself around the suspension making a hell of a din. I braked hard and pulled over. It took quite a lot of on my stomach looking and feeling around with fingers to figure out what had happened. In order to limp the 20 minutes back to the beach house I needed to remove the wheel and clean up the mess. Not possible. The modern porsche has no jack and no wheel brace. All you've got is a piffy set of tools, a pack of puncture gunk and an electric tyre pump. Fortunately I had cell phone reception and could call Jan to gather up a few tools from the bach to come and rescue me. With where I've been driving and intended to go this morning I could have been way out of cellular reception so would have been walking in search of a farm house. I remove the wheel, unwound the rubber and string that was wound around the suspension. Checked there was no damage. Trimmed some loose threads off the tyre and reinstalled it. Drove gingerly back to the bach. There's only 20% life left in the rear tyres and fortunately I'd been ringing around looking for replacement tyres. I knew Bridgestone have 3 in the country but confirmed in a call that they are in their wellington warehouse. Tonight at the RSG barbecue the RSG crew hatched a rescue plan. Tomorrow morning Pete is taking the 3 hour drive each way to Oakura with one of John's 19" Cayman R wheels which I can use to get the car home. What a great team!! I'll be forever grateful!!
Glad to help although the Cayman R has gone from hero to zero. It's on a 17" Frankenstein D90 while the original wheel wends its way up to Oakura. I hope Peter enjoys his trip, he must have contracted the Doug road trip bug after doing 6 hours today.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Doug, I've got a full set of Turbo wheels with tyres if you want to use while you find a suitable replacement set. Rears might look a little aggressive...

Congratulations on the new car John! Look forward to seeing it in the metal.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:52 PM
PHG
Racer

John, sorry to miss last nights BBQ, but got dragged up to Marsden Cove by would be boat buyer..got back at 7.00.
Anybody going out today to HD, is there a designated meeting spot? Dave, want a ride, as I know you are short of cars?
Old 01-17-2015, 02:53 PM
PHG
Racer

BTW John. that is one awfully good looking car.. well done!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:00 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

great John that's quick moving. Arrived Sweden via Shanghai, Helsinki
tired and due a good sleep

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?