Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:18 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John
great to hear your engine is not a monster..hardly even the cost of some exotic dagos' shoes...
there is a guy selling some rims on T/me that might fit your car Listing #: 580174779 for track work..
Macca, nice impetus re tracks/time.. just like the boys golf trips away omly more logistics..john and I will have to bring a trailer with our track rims, and the grog..
Agree with NZ964..HD we can do whenever, the others not so easy..I would be keen on Puke, if only so we can stretch the old girls right out..
Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

I'm thinking through the wheel selection. It may be that I put track tyres on my existing wheels and buy more attractive ones for the road. Not sure of the 996 twists on 964s. Macca, to safe me trawling through umpteen pages of this thread, what are you looking for? I still have a hankering for veloce or Fuchs.

As for carrying tyres, Phil, you can borrow my roof rack if needed. I'm wondering if I can carry a spare wheel set in the car. Is that possible?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Btw. I gather more of us are using the Rennlist app to post as the spelling correct is putting up some interesting errors of late.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I'm thinking through the wheel selection. It may be that I put track tyres on my existing wheels and buy more attractive ones for the road. Not sure of the 996 twists on 964s. Macca, to safe me trawling through umpteen pages of this thread, what are you looking for? I still have a hankering for veloce or Fuchs.

As for carrying tyres, Phil, you can borrow my roof rack if needed. I'm wondering if I can carry a spare wheel set in the car. Is that possible?
could be a tight squeeze john, how do you get them in even?
thanks for the RR offer. those rims were no good for the TT, but I thought the offset might fit the 964, given they were going to get hammered..they seemed an option
Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Guys,

By way of an update to save trawling back through this thread Ive updated the information below.

Its a clear theme that HD doesn't need to feature. Therefore a three track option would be PUKE, TAUPO, MANFIELD.

The concept that I propose would see us renting the whole track. In Taupo the ideal would be the full A1 track as its much more interesting and in my mind the most technical track in the NI (I have never driven Manfield however).

The idea of running it over a weekend as Jason has suggested (leave Friday afternoon etc) is a good one for those to who answer "to the man" or"the missus" so I think we need to consider this a real option.

I think we need to base all assumptions on paying someone like Steve R to accompany us to not only show us the lines of the track but also provide a Van as support to carry spare wheels/tyres and tools and personal kit. Its fair for someone like Steve to get an earn form us after all his generosity to date. Its possible we could engage Ray on the race days to give additional tuition as these tracks will be largely unknown to us and we want to minimize lost time learning lines and safety etc.

6 (John, Sean, Macca, Phil, Obssessed, Steve R) interested in potential October away trip. For sake of keeping things manageable, estimate is 4 days, three tracks, over a weekend.

3 (Paul, Peter, Jason) good for shorter "event" maybe two tracks coordinating with an already existing event maybe over a long weekend. Also possible format is two nights two days with trip south on a Friday afternoon.

1 (Matt) keen on Taupo only.

1 (GT38088) May be interested dependent on time-frame.

I will contact Tony next at Playday and see if any of this is possible or a pipe dream. Once we have some clarity on that and possible costs Ill start a thread on Steves board.

At this stage I dont have any personal interest in making this a big group (i.e. invite PCNZ or Bridgestone guys). I believe a smaller more exclusive group will work much better and Im being selfish here. Im also mindful that from here Im not capable of organizing this on the ground so can put in the initial leg work but it will be a team effort to pull the final details together (its a big enough challenge getting the car prepared from offshore). Im thinking a group of 10 minimum and 15 maximum.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Paul: do you have a schedule for your engine swap?
End of May..................
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering if I can carry a spare wheel set in the car. Is that possible?
Maybe not with 18", you can if you have 15" and take out the back seats.

Personally, I'd go 16" dia, as you lower the gearing and therefore improve acceleration. Also 16" tend to be lighter than 17's or 18's so vital unsprung weight saving (the best sort).

I'd look for some Fuch's and go back date...............

We might need to arrange a support van to carry sh*t you don't want in the car.

For pure looks, I'd buy Macca's original 993 rims. I think 964's look really nice on them.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

17inch Fuchs are about $4,700 landed. Assuming my wife doesn't see them it's on the very outer limit of reasonable. If noticed then it will cost me double.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

17inch Fuchs are about $4,700 landed. Assuming my wife doesn't see them it's on the very outer limit of reasonable. If noticed then it will cost me double.
That 1 for 1 wife spend tax is always bloody expensive mate.........

The Porsche hobby is already expensive enough........
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Bob your 993 targa looks good on TM. Will be interesting to see how quickly is sells.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

That 1 for 1 wife spend tax is always bloody expensive mate.........

The Porsche hobby is already expensive enough........
I think repairs don't attract the spouse tax but new bling does. Given all parcels are delivered while I'm at work, there's no hiding this type of purchase.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Did we see any progress on sourcing medium Hankook rears?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

A separate transport Van will be a given. We need jacks & tools to keep 10 cars on the road for two track days and 1000km of touring.

Id imagine you would just fit your track tyres for touring as well as track as opposed to taking two sets. The wear on the touring section of the jaunt would be fairly minimal vs the track wear. Some spare tyres/wheels for those that are part way through a set of track tyres or who may experience punctures etc would be a smart idea.

One issue I see with using 18" wheels on the track is the cost of the rubber. The Hankooks are almost $500 more expensive a set over the 17s. The combined package is heavier too as far as unsprung weight as Paul has eluded to.

The three piece rims bend very easy on rough road work. The Targa put my front wheels 2mm out of round. Due to the camber I was running (-1.5F/-2.0R) it was actually the inside hoops that showed the distortion. I wasn't surprised, there were some pot holes you hit at 150 kmph when your were committed and you had no choice. I wouldn't choose a 3 piece wheel as a dedicated track/targa wheel again in a hurry. A single cast wheel is often lighter and as long as its not a soft aftermarket one is probably stronger, not to mention cheaper too.

What Paul says about wheel circumference and gearing is true. Apart from it looking weird its probably something to think about once you have become proficient with position, then lines, then gear changes. I've been speaking at length with Steve R about track work and hes been great in re calibrating my expectations. Apart form tyre changes I know now that next time on the track I need to actually spend the day going slower and learning position and lines, then gears and maybe for the last few sessions threading them all together....
Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Anything to justify last place off the rank I've never seen such a polite set of drivers. You go first seemed to be the standard last time, then you had drivers up your exhaust on the subsequent set of laps. We need to Paul to blaze a trail.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I was mentally calibrating position by horsepower in the early sessions. GT3s first, then turbos and Caymens with 964's and then me last. Worked fine for me on the day but you do learn who the quick drivers are and it turns out hp isnt everything. Steve's 2.4S Gulf car was capable of 1.17s. The silver GT3 was running very fast with probably 1.14's or better but the white one was very slow when driven by the dentists mate. I think you eventually fall into a natural procession based on speed/capability like happens during the Targa Tour...

I just looked at Matts advert again and read it properly. He must have spent a fair packet on the suspension in that 964. Its a real sweet set up with KWv3 & erp monball & camper plates, H&R abrs etc

John I cant recall what I had on the wheels. It was less than I paid for them I remember that. The damn search function doesn't work on hear anymore and my internet is slomo. I thought Id use them myself for the next HD day but once they have rubber on them I have no where to store them, my unit is really that tight (Paul can attest). I will probably run Hankooks on the standard 18s once I have Arrow straighten the inside hoops and use them on the road as well with a tad less camber. If they last a Targa Tour and 3 track days with a few thousand km of daily driver stuff in between then that wiill be ok.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?