Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in the track tour (assuming I have a car!), I think an extended weekend thing would work best for me, along the lines of what Jason and Paul are talking about. I think Taupo's best in the full A1GP format, but if it's significantly cheaper to go for the shorter track layout we should probably go that way.

There's someone looking at the 964 on Sunday (it has been inspected for them by Giltraps already), so we'll see. It sounds like they're keen on participating in track days of the format we've been having, so we could have another member shortly.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 AM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks,lots of watchers so i guess I'm providing entertainment at the very least......and so far no stupid daft questions which is surprising !!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

There was a post earlier on regarding the numbers for a 3 track trip being limited to around 10 or so. I disagree and think the more the merrier up to a point. On Taupo it is quite easy to have 20-30ish cars on the track with heaps of room between them. Keeps costs down (not all of us have bucketloads) and to be quite frank I'd like to meet more people/cars each day rather than less. I think it's more fun that way. Lots of toys to talk to their owners about.. If you have 10 or so cars you're going to be talking megabucks to do the trip, what with the support personnel being considered not to mention track hire.

By the way for Taupo I can supply 2 x free rooms....
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi floatingkiwi. I respect your position but Im not personally interested in organizing a mass event. If you would like to meet more Porsche people then attending the HD Playday sessions is an good option only 2 hours drive from you. Alternatively there are many PCNZ events each year including Taupo track that provide an opportunity to circulate with like minded people.

Personally I see a group of 10-15 perfect and this format has seemed to work well during playday. Prestigio will be very difficult to convince to insure a party of more than 12-14 cars I believe. Many of the attendees already know each other, their skills and capabilities which aids in the group working quite well together to the point where at the last track day these guys were familiar enough to in some instances swap keys and have the chance to drive someone else's car etc.

The cost of a 3 track 4 day event I estimated in the original email at around 2-2.5K per head . Given a few of us have costs close to that to get to the country for the event I would see that as the highest reasonable price most will pay. No one seems to be too scared on the money side just yet. We pay 220 a day at HD and this time we would be looking to take a whole track so I would imagine $500 per head per track minimum based on 10-15 as the track has to provide safety staff and marshall etc.

Given the interest on this thread I dont see we will have a major issue getting 10-14 parties sign up once we dedicate a post to the subject on Steves Carrera Sport site...
Old 04-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Gents.

I have spoken with Tony. Great news is that an idea like the one we have been discussing is both plausible and on first glance viable.

Tony already has Manfield booked for Playday on 14 September and 23 November. Both are Saturdays. Based on a group of 10 (purely as an example) we can join for approximately $200 a head. I believe Prestigio will cover the group but I do need to double check that with Tony next week. Tony has suggested we take Taupo A1GP track on the Friday before either Manfield session. Taupo is an expensive track to rent especially the full track. Weekdays are far cheaper than weekends. On a weekday we can have that track for between $6-700 per head and again ask Prestigo to cover.

Essentially this means we could do a Friday session at Taupo with a Saturday at Manfield and travel home Sunday. If those who have the time went to Taupo on Thursday afternoon others could make the drive down early Friday morning form Auckland or wherever their base location is. If we per prepared to all put in an additional $200 per head for the long weekend we could have Ray Williams and Steve R join us as both instructor and support/transport/mechanic. I have asked neither so are being presumptuous in this respect.

So we have the potential for a two track day, three day weekend with support and instruction for around $1000 per head all in excluding accommodation, food and fuel.

I have also asked Tony for potential Taupo Playday dates in September/October as we could also to the reverse and back Manfield onto Taupo.

Better yet is an exciting development for Round 2 being an 8 day South Island Tour in summer 2014 which includes 4 tracks including a very special new one (Cromwell) and would be very cost competitive. Tony is working hard on this and we could have our own group at each track but I will not mention more on this until Tony has finalized details. very exciting however...

In order not to litter this NZ thread with non mainstream related material on this "event" I will now create a new thread on this board whereby those with an interest to extend their track day education can contribute....
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Macca,

I think the Friday/Saturday, drive home Sunday would work well for a lot of us.

Leveraging off the Manfield Play Day makes the cost reasonable too.

Count me in on this basis..............
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paul will do. Revert to the new thread for more details as they eventuate...
Old 04-20-2013, 01:08 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

So Puke is off the list?
I dont think Playday has ever had an event at Puke have they?
Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Nik. No Puke is a work on progress but only slot that may work is for the September session option. Revert to the new thread to learn more. As far as Im aware Playday don't have an association with Puke so it remains to be seen if it can be made to work in the same way as the other two days (i.e. for insurance purposes we probably need Playdays involvement etc).
Old 04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Guys,
I hope its ok with you to return to the title of this thread to say hello. We are i believe the only Malibu members of pcnz. We're in process of investor immigration to nz, so we look forward to meeting some of you next trip.

We were in Auckland in march but concentrated on meeting Ferrari Club folks that trip. Please note my lifetime ownership of porsches is 57, to only 14 ferraris so i spend much more time in 911s. In fact we plan to hammer all over nz over the next few years in porsches, since theyre bulletproof.
Cheers
Watt
Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Welcome!

Please tease us with what Porsche/Ferrari cars you will be bringing to NZ...
Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

floatingkiwi. Referring to the seperate thread on Taupo track there is now likely a second session so yourself and any friends you want (regardless of car) can join in too.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Welcome!

Please tease us with what Porsche/Ferrari cars you will be bringing to NZ...
Thanks Macca,

Here's a dirty 991 c2s cab waiting for the wash crew to come today.... The debate being in USA is whether to bother bringing in LHD... As immigrants we get GST free imports but you need to own for a year which obviates importing from UK, except w GST. Right now I plan to buy in NZ unless I get comfie driving LHD on RHD highways....

I note the Toy Store 2012 991 s coupe on trade me for 60k less than Continentals' asking prices. Any reason not to buy those Toy store imports?

Since there are no stradales left in NZ and scuderias are rare, and those are my favourite models, these would be likely candidates to import from UK... On the Porsche front C2s cab is my current favourite. I wont go GT3 unless i order one with lug nuts.

I presume that continentals asking prices are quite above what cars are bringing? Advice and expertise from you greatly appreciated.

best
watt

Last edited by Sun Ra; 04-06-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Watt. I think you can probably assume Continentals sell their product around 5-10% below advertised price after haggling.

As you will have determined new Porsche & Fezza are very expensive in NZ. You can import from UK much cheaper even with the 15% GST added in so I wouldn't be concerned about the GST element. This way you dont have to own a car for 12 months in the country of origin before importing it. There is alot of this happening right now as the NZD is very strong against the GBP.

The Toy Shop 991S is a nice car and well priced too. Good spec to boot. Toy Shop (Max Fletcher) is well known long term player here so you dont need to be overly concerned dealing with them, but make sure you negotiate as always.

Although cars in general are much more expensive new than in the US, lHD cars suffer terribly n terms of depreciation and I think you would be far better off taking the depreciation hit in the USA, sell there and buy in NZ. Used cars 5-10 years old represent fair value in NZ and you can find Porsche models that are rare in the US as they were never launched there (think 993RS, 964RS, 996.1 GT3 etc) for sale in NZ at very reasonable prices compared to global alternatives.

Let us know when you are heading over as no doubt there will be an opportunity for you to meet plenty of the folk on this board...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Watt. I think you can probably assume Continentals sell their product around 5-10% below advertised price after haggling.
I have been told that haggling has become far more common and far more substantial especially on models where there us a surplus of supply from offshore. Less so on the more niche variants. Simple supply and demand I guess- pretty hard to offer something at $280k when someone else can supply for $220k.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?