Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Great link. Great photos.

Peter. The first rule of Club Troppo is....you do not talk about Club Troppo....LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To the" 996 GT3's have bottomed out and can only go up" group...........

I see the red car has just dropped $4K within a week of advertising and is negotiable.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-566274056.htm

These cars just aren't selling. I reckon you could get this for $80K.

Not 'dissing' these cars as I think they are amazing, I just reckon they will still drop a bit as the market doesn't seem to be snapping up the ones for sale.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Paul. I dont disagree its a buyers market out there right now and relatively speaking there is a lot of GT3's on the market today. There may be a distressed vendor out there who needs to shift now, but the majority of the 996 GT3s that are on TM have sat at their prices for quite some time. The ground between the buyers and the vendors in terms of price has yet to be established but I still maintain as I said before that an average one will fetch around 80k and a good one 95k and that prices are unlikely to gravitate to a lower average. If they do then the UK & AUS markets will intervene and take up the slack. One vendor doesn't set the market.

Heres some interesting data collected on NZ asking prices from 4-5 years ago. Relative speaking Mk1 996.1 GT3 prices have held up quite well. At the time asking 110-119k and probably selling around 100-105k when a deal was done. Today I know at least one party that would pay 90K for the speed yellow 996.1 GT3 that sold 18 months ago for 90-95K to Bill. 10K depreciation over 4+ years is very narrow. Now look at the 997.1 GT3/RS prices ove rthe same epriod and not ethe price today. You will see theres much more fat in the depreciation curve here.

The fact is Mk1 & Mk2 GT3 will eventually show little variance in average sales price. The fact is they are basically the same car and cost the same when new. Its like 993 Varioram vs non varioram. Today the buyer ppays little difference as the provenience (and mileage) is more important than the year it was made and the small drive-train differences.

What we are seeing today is the Mk2 prices which have traditionally been 20% higher than Mk1, finally come under pressure. In the UK M1 prices are now often the same and in some cases higher than Mk2 as buyer preference has changed to the lower volume "original".

One thing that is no doubt however. If someone picked up one of the two no stories 996 GT3RS today for around 130k they would have in their hands a car that's likely to be worth quite a bit more in future years. the 996GT3RS really was a lightweight uncompromised racer compared to later iterations...

I remember in 2001 when a 993RS cost just over 100k and a 964RS was under that.....
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the PDFs Macca.

I wonder how that red GT3's interior looks with the cage removed. If it has restored back to factory standard, it might be a good prospect with a half cage, harness, and a set of bucket seats.

Is there a story with the 996 GT3RS at Contis that's currently listed on TM?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

No problem mjg. I assumed you found them interesting/useful.

Both the MK2 GT3s (black and red) that have been main event Targa cars will have had new paint at some time. Probably a full or 3/4 respray. Dependent on cage type fitted I would inevitably say there will be some signs of its installation. Unlike the black car at least the red one has been put back to road trim, so in that sense if probably the better buy assuming its had no accident history. I actually cant see any reasons for not pursuing these especially given the discounts they represent currently.

As for the GT3RS, all I know for certain (as I have seen the work performed) is that at least 2 of the GT3RSs have had some considerable panel work after being raced - in the case of one, not very tidily executed when in the hands of International Motorsport for its then gentleman racer owner. I have no idea which one CCS are marketing. One of the four I know is straight for sure but I cant recall which one (maybe the ex Tomas Hupart one).
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Paul. I dont disagree its a buyers market out there right now and relatively speaking there is a lot of GT3's on the market today. There may be a distressed vendor out there who needs to shift now, but the majority of the 996 GT3s that are on TM have sat at their prices for quite some time. The ground between the buyers and the vendors in terms of price has yet to be established but I still maintain as I said before that an average one will fetch around 80k and a good one 95k and that prices are unlikely to gravitate to a lower average. If they do then the UK & AUS markets will intervene and take up the slack. One vendor doesn't set the market.

Heres some interesting data collected on NZ asking prices from 4-5 years ago. Relative speaking Mk1 996.1 GT3 prices have held up quite well. At the time asking 110-119k and probably selling around 100-105k when a deal was done. Today I know at least one party that would pay 90K for the speed yellow 996.1 GT3 that sold 18 months ago for 90-95K to Bill. 10K depreciation over 4+ years is very narrow. Now look at the 997.1 GT3/RS prices ove rthe same epriod and not ethe price today. You will see theres much more fat in the depreciation curve here.

The fact is Mk1 & Mk2 GT3 will eventually show little variance in average sales price. The fact is they are basically the same car and cost the same when new. Its like 993 Varioram vs non varioram. Today the buyer ppays little difference as the provenience (and mileage) is more important than the year it was made and the small drive-train differences.

What we are seeing today is the Mk2 prices which have traditionally been 20% higher than Mk1, finally come under pressure. In the UK M1 prices are now often the same and in some cases higher than Mk2 as buyer preference has changed to the lower volume "original".

One thing that is no doubt however. If someone picked up one of the two no stories 996 GT3RS today for around 130k they would have in their hands a car that's likely to be worth quite a bit more in future years. the 996GT3RS really was a lightweight uncompromised racer compared to later iterations...

I remember in 2001 when a 993RS cost just over 100k and a 964RS was under that.....
If you bought a car from Italy, preferably red, you wouldn't care less about the prices, good or bad
Just saying is all...........

PS, All going well I will still have a Porsche soon, as well. That's only possible because of what's happened with the prices. NZ seems so cheap now for nice cars.
I got good money for my 03 GT3 by the way, and as the deal was written up, I MADE money. Again, just sayin.

Last edited by 993MAN; 03-03-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You must be talking about Fiats LOL!

Good to hear you will rejoin the fold soon. Ferrarichat.com just isn't the same is it! Even better you can put your name down on our Playday club mate and help keep the numbers healthy! It would be a good way to learn how to drive fast and build confidence in a controlled environment....
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Playday club? What is this playday club you speak of?
F Chat is great but I'm still a newbie there. Still finding my way, but I have to say they are as passionate and helpful as any forum.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday....php?topic=4.0
Old 03-03-2013, 04:18 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know the best local (pref Akl) source of the Hankook z221's? I've only just rejoined PCNZ so may have missed something in Spiel. Also, anyone been quoted on them, PCNZ discount etc? TIA
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Peter, what tyres do you have on the car now?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got pzeros up front and SO2s on the rear - all were on the car from the previous owner and were 80% good at that time. Since then they have been through 2 full track days and 2 twilights. I may have a deal on those sport classics which I will have refurbed and then to decide which set to dedicate for track and which for road. Will be going 225/45 and 255/40 to put a little more rubber up front on the track set.

Will need to see which set out of the current mismatch and the ones coming with the new wheels will do for the daily commute.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Nick from Wheelfixit quoted $600 + GST to refurb a set of four wheels. I'm not sure all of those wheels need refurbing but I figured it's the thick end of $2,000 for that set given the buy now price, plus refurb, plus courier. A new set appear to be ~ $2,700 landed in NZ from Type 911, so I declined his offer.

I also want to check out those weird wheels already on my car. The Porsche Classics are 12kg. My wheels may not be much heavier.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

BTW: What's the second choice tyre for our cars?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Nick from Wheelfixit quoted $600 + GST to refurb a set of four wheels. I'm not sure all of those wheels need refurbing but I figured it's the thick end of $2,000 for that set given the buy now price, plus refurb, plus courier. A new set appear to be ~ $2,700 landed in NZ from Type 911, so I declined his offer.
Yes a bit of a gamble but they will be delivered at the offer price so no extra freight. I will get in touch with Nick as my mate had excellent service from him previously. Having looked for 6 months its not that easy to find suitable 2nd hand sets !

As for alternative tyres there are a lot to choose from but big variances in cost and depending on whether they are for road/track or dual use. The Hankooks will be for track use. R888s also are good for sizes/availability and would be fine for track. RE55s a bit pricey but Sean really likes them. Then there's the Dunlop Star Specs, Yoko AD08 or AO48 and I know Macca likes the Michelin Super Sports but they are top $. Almost too many options but big variance in $ and size availability. You probably have the right idea bringing them from UK.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?