Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
this debate is even more stark when you think this money gets you a good early 70s T or E - a really good one is more now
Totally agree - I think it comes down to Pcar trends and emotion.

If you have a tidy retro coloured 73 E parked next to a 996 GT3, most people would gravitate towards the earlier Porsche as it is smaller, looks cooler and looks like a Porsche 911.

It's also a lot harder to find one. There is a choice of several 996 GT3's for sale, try finding a RHD long hood for sale - you will be in Aussie with $100K AUD or the UK to find one.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Here's my groundsky photos from NZFMR for those interested...

http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/Ki...l_share&page=1
Sean - they've just had coverage of one of your races on TV3 - CRC Motorsport. Got a few glimpses of you at the start and a bit of coverage of Steve during the race including a mention. Very cool 2nd race seeing Angus Fogg in a mini dicing with the muscle cars. Steve started front of grid in that one but got swallowed pretty quickly!

You may get it on demand from the TV3 website?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM
356Downunder
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys
Here are the details on my car which Macca has referred to in this thread.

Model: 993 Targa
Year :1996
NZ New
Sold new by Giltraps and every service done by them for the last 16 years.
Colour: Aventura Green
91,000km's
No of Owners: I am the 5th private owner
Condition: This is a 2010 Intermarque Concours winning car.
This car is presented for sale in concours winning condition.

Transmission - 6 speed manual transmission.
Interior: As new Classic Grey leather

Everything that you can see is of the highest standard....everything that you can't see is to the same standard!!

There are a couple of small things that need attention but I'm pretty sure that this would rank as one of the nicest examples around.

Price: $77,500.

Cheers
Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Sean - they've just had coverage of one of your races on TV3 - CRC Motorsport. Got a few glimpses of you at the start and a bit of coverage of Steve during the race including a mention. Very cool 2nd race seeing Angus Fogg in a mini dicing with the muscle cars. Steve started front of grid in that one but got swallowed pretty quickly!

You may get it on demand from the TV3 website?
Hey mate, thanks for the heads up. I will have to try and find it through a vpn.

I was so busy watching the Super 15, V8s and F1 this weekend that just as well I wasn't watching that too, the girlfriend would've hit the overload button I think.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

certainly was an overload of sport last weekend. silver fern rally and superbikes too. Steve Williams calling the line on the winning putt at the Masters is pretty cool too.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 AM
PHG
Racer

Macca
just got back from Aus, and catching up on my nightime reading early..Thanks for the words re Dad (Len Gilbert). I rang Buster (E.S.Young) and thanked him for the article..he was too crook to come up to Dads ceremony, but Jan McLaren stood in for him, and Bruce..Yes , have great memories of those days..being picked up with Dad, by Jimmy Clark (Mk III Zephyr I think), and driven to the GP at Puke..sooo disappointing, he drove like all those other guys on the road..We used to take all the drivers water skiing on Karapiro, jackie syewart, graham hill , Innes Ireland, Frank Gardner etc. Sadly Dad was too unwell to get a ride in the Porsche before he died, so my sister and I took him on a road trip after his cremation.. including visiting Graham McDonald, his mechanic, who was meant to drive the Maserati after Buster, but it needed a bit of cleaning after the off road excursion..
Anybody do Uncles last week?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Phil. Great stories and famous names. Id love to hear some of these yarns over a beer when Im next in town (my shout). It all slots together now. Ive seen some old black & whites of the Karapiro water skiing trips (again courtesy of Allan Dick in Classic Driver Mag). I met a couple of the old crew at Le Mans in 2007. Those guys loved coming to NZ because of days like that. I knew little of NZ Motorsports history until picking up Classic Driver a number of years ago and subscribing. Absolutely wonderful magazine. Since then have bought alot books on the NZ greats and your father Len is mentioned many times. 6-7 years ago I wrote to Greta Hulme about Dennys boat and we had a bit of correspondence for a while. I would have loved to make the weekend at HD but a death in the family brought my trip forward early...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Default Rookie Rides - Trackie Wackies Boot Camp

Boyz,

We've talked about it already, now we need to man up and do something with it or consign it to the dream junkyard!

Who here is serious about taking 4-5 days out of their domestic lives (and for those with real jobs then work lives) to travel 3-4 Nth Island tracks over 4-5 days in the last quarter 2013?

No research has yet been done but this is what Im proposing. Im happy to do the initial research but will then need to hand it off to one or more of you "on the group" for some final heavy lifting due to my proximity.

We need people who are seriously committed to fess up so we can get real numbers to do real maths.

FORMAT-
  • PUKE + HD + TAUPO + MANFIELD.
  • Duration = 5 days (assume it may be entirely during the week).
  • Included - An experienced instructor, a support vehicle (Van), tools. This will be a remunerated position and may infact be two people/positions. i.e. racing Ray for tuition and Steve R for support vehicle, tools and mechanical (when hes not on the track).
  • Assume Prestigio will cover this event (due to instructor and organizer)
  • Group bookings for accomodation - nothing flash, assume $150 pn
  • Estimated Cost = budget on 2k per pax plus accommodation, food, beverage and fuel.
The format would be pretty straight forward. We would drive in the mornings early and arrive at the track around 8am for a 9am track recce lasting 60 minutes including walking corners, observing lines, braking points and any tricks or hazards to the track. We would start track sessions 10am through to 4pm (1 hour down for lunch) at 30 minute intervals (for cool down and time to make running adjustments to vehicles). Sessions would be approx 15 mins dependent on track and length. Assume 10 sessions per track and 12 laps per session will give you 120 laps per track. Enough to understand the lines, position and braking and turn in points for later when ya all become pro racing drivers LOL!

Alternative FORMAT is to cut this down to three tracks over 4 days (a day needed for return) maybe cut out HD given you are all pros by now on that circuit. Or we could cut out PUKE as I suspect they will be the most expensive and difficult to deal with.

If we can get a show of hands in the initial round then Ill work with Tony at payday on investigating if its viable or even possible and once we have some of the logistics nailed well understand costs and possibility of it becoming reality.

Sean has offered to give me a hand behind the scenes if needed - hes currently in Japan and may even has some news on a name for our group in the next few says.....
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 AM
PHG
Racer

Assuming death and/or taxes don't take me out, I would be very interested. Like Macca, essentially away from NZ or out of action from end july till end of sept, but would be happy to contribute where I can
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Just been to the unveiling of the new Cayman at EMD

Last edited by kiwi 911; 04-26-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca,

I couldn't do a week, some of us plebs actually work 60hrs a week for a living and if I took a week off, I'd have to take it with the wife and kids, but could look at doing 1 or 2 days to help make up some numbers.

Great idea though................
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Paul. I understand. What if we cut it back to 3 tracks over 4 days and ran it say Thurs/Fr/Sat/Sun?

Im guessing the tracks will be easier to rent during the week than on the weekend but we may just find its all out of our price range in any case.

The Gayman looks nice in white. The new Boxster is prettier tho. Evo rate it as an all time good driver car. The R version when it arrives with a few tweaks will be lapping the early GT3 no problem at all...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Phil. It would be great to have you on board mate. Lets assume October for now and Ill count you in as a likely.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Phil. It would be great to have you on board mate. Lets assume October for now and Ill count you in as a likely.
I'm keen for this but like Paul saw it as maybe a bit less intensive. We do HD regularly anyway and as you say Puke may be difficult. My thinking was to use say an already planned trackday at either Manfield or Taupo and tack on whichever of the other tracks has a vacancy. If you look at Easter this year, Playday had trackdays at HD and Manfield over that long weekend - so something similar adding in Taupo as a track hire would be perfect. Maybe Labour weekend?

I certainly think having Playday on board would make it more workable. I also wonder about whether if we wanted to work on it being a recurring event we should think about involving the Club? I know things could spin out of control and we could be swamped but by its very nature the kind of people likely to be interested may well be similar.

Personally, I'm flexible with time and cost - just looking to have a good blast and keep up the learning. Be keen to hear what sort of format would work for the majority.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Paul. I understand. What if we cut it back to 3 tracks over 4 days and ran it say Thurs/Fr/Sat/Sun?
Now you are talking...............but don't change just for my benefit.

I think it's a great idea, 2014 could be South Island...........!!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?