Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good thinking Paul. We have a font (Porsche Font) if we wish to use it (I put it up on the other RL thread).

I think maybe we need to center a logo around three letters R,S & G. Perhaps using the original 1973 RS font for that. We could use the Porsche font for the full name? Its pretty tame but if no designers come to the party could be a fall back plan...
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Matt, you haven't given us your first impressions of the GT3 yet.

So what do you think, your thoughts on the pro's and con's would be interesting.

You might have to take me for the spin one morning down the motorway :-)
I don't feel like I've driven it enough to say much yet... it really needs a track day (Taupo booked for the 1st June) before I'll have a good feel for it.

I'm in Taipei this week, but happy to take you for a blast next weekend/week or later, just let me know when suits.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Maybe we could try and pay for playdays with air points! Sounds like we've got a few people here who fly a lot.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yip. It all sounds fairly exotic doesn't it! China, Taiwan, Fiji, Vanuatu, Sydney - what a jet setting crowd we are LOL!

Thing is wed all rather be spending a sunny day at HD Im sure!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Phil Bagshaw
Rennlist Member

Default oil Analysis

Hi Guys
Anyone had their used oil analysed? My Boxster S has been run exclusively on Mobil 1 from new. One of my first jobs was an oil change so I got the used Mobil1 analysed. The Zn and P are way down when compared to the Mobil 1 datasheets i.e 800/1100 ppm and 700/1000 ppm. Feedback from owners in the USA using nominally the same oil have Zn at 1600ppm. Expert opinion is that oils with Zn over 1200 ppm are prefered for our engines. Interested to know if other NZ'ers have been short changed on Zn. The reason for my concern is the oil is high in Cu, 24ppm. Indicative of journals wearing out. Not impressed with M1 @ $24 /L and depleted anti-wear additives.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil Bagshaw
Hi Guys
Anyone had their used oil analysed? My Boxster S has been run exclusively on Mobil 1 from new. One of my first jobs was an oil change so I got the used Mobil1 analysed. The Zn and P are way down when compared to the Mobil 1 datasheets i.e 800/1100 ppm and 700/1000 ppm. Feedback from owners in the USA using nominally the same oil have Zn at 1600ppm. Expert opinion is that oils with Zn over 1200 ppm are prefered for our engines. Interested to know if other NZ'ers have been short changed on Zn. The reason for my concern is the oil is high in Cu, 24ppm. Indicative of journals wearing out. Not impressed with M1 @ $24 /L and depleted anti-wear additives.
I have no idea, but as I'm about to refill my engine I'm interested in the conclusion.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

One step closer. Brian personally fitted the tyres
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Look pretty damn good to me John. I assume vintage Fuch style Porsche center caps fit ion those wheels ok?

Phil. Your findings are interesting. Ive been thinking about oil lately. Id like to try something different. I read the Millers products are worth a look but tried to contact the agent in NZ twice and he never responded. These days Ive learnt not to push it - if the service starts crap it ends crappier generally speaking!

I have no idea what the factory specs for M1 is and whether it conforms to those fresh out of the bottle vs your used oil. Could it be the additives have been depleted by reaction with the increased copper traces? Whatever the outcome I guess the concern is the bearings and using a produce hence forth that reduces wear further. Very useful exercise. Id be a bit scared to run an analysis on my engine. While the oil has always been changed bi annually (always less than 5000km) its an old engine and done a fair bit of hot dyno time...
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Look pretty damn good to me John. I assume vintage Fuch style Porsche center caps fit on those wheels ok?
I'm not sure what size they are. I hope it's standard so I have some choice. In the meantime I'll use the supplied modern ones.

BTW: I am amused that these are road legal, yet worn down edges on the 996 TT tyres were a fail, even though they still had far more tread across the tyres than the Z221.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Pretty sure it will be standard (best to check tho). What you need is some of those oldtimer ones for fuch's in silver....
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Hi Guys
Didn't know you could have it done in NZ?! I've never done any proper analysis but I've always preferred Motul over any thing else on the market. It seems to run higher pressure, cooler and handles extremes better (doesn't get cooked by Turbos for example).

It's not cheap though.

That said, Steve's got Fuchs in my car at the moment and that seems to run well. Even in my old engine the pressure is 1.5 bar at warm idle and it handles race temps well.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Guys
Hi Phil,

High ZDDP oil is really best for flat tappet engines (964 and earlier) and should not make a difference to a Boxster with hydraulic lifters. The highest ZDDP we get in NZ is Mobil1 5W-50, other than that it's Brad Penn 20W-40 with 1500ppm ZDDP. Why you have high Cu beats me............is the RMS getting tired? Is the Boxster high mileage?

Cheers,
Nick
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Mobil_1_Product_Guide_ZDDP.pdf (15.7 KB, 121 views)
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Nick. Thanks for the data points. Welcome back. As the intiator of this thread you will be pleased to see we now have almost 3000 posting!

Why dont you have a look a look at our little subgroup (Renssport Gruppe) and see if youd like to join us on a track day or three..

http://www.europacific.co.nz/playday....php?board=2.0
Old 05-21-2013, 06:00 AM
nirich
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Macca.................i never actually "left". See the 68,000 views? 55,000 of them are mine. Ok, maybe not.
Yes, i'm well aware of your Gruppe as i have popped in here occasionally and tried to catch up on the reading. Brilliant and fantastic that there is a consistent bunch doing trackdays, yes i'm jealous but it's not for me at the moment. Time is my enemy and the thing i value highest as between work, study, cars and building a house 24 hours a day just isn't enough!

Cheers, Nick
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ah good to know there are other voyeurs on here too LOL!

hopefully we can get you out there when time allows. Its more a social thing than anything and a good opportunity to share ideas and see what everyone has been up to modifications wise....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?