Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:50 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Some pics from Sweden

The day started with a briefing - like all these courses. "if you don't spin out you aren't discovering the limits" Sounds great I think.

Straight out onto the lake, slalom course on 3ml studded tyres to learn how to control the slides and learn the timing and throttle control. Then onto the small road course. Hard because of the narrowness - only 3 car widths and if you go off the side you are beached in snow and have to be towed out. The service guys work hard constantly pulling cars out. Then lunch and back onto the small road course but this time on 7ml studded tyres. The difference is night and day. Much more control and therefore much faster. Then in fading light onto a much bigger road course.

The cars all Tuthill prepared rally 911s. Immaculate, adjustable brake bias pedal boxes, set up slightly rear biased, LWFW and very throttle sensitive, very flat torque and not peaky so easy to drive.

Lessons? Many. Learners are too timid, not enough gas when needed and not enough brake or too much throttle when should be completely off gas. ie not extreme enough and too much in the middle and conservative. You gotta boss these cars around but be sensitive to throttle on and off. More tomorrow.
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

more pics
Attached Images   
Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Nik - what is a tidy kiwi RS2 worth these days??
I dont know after seeing that result Paul.
I guess anywhere between 25K-35K?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
Some pics from Sweden The day started with a briefing - like all these courses. "if you don't spin out you aren't discovering the limits" Sounds great I think...
Sounds fantastic, thanks for the update. This is on my bucket list for sure.

Given the climate, is it hard to bring the cars up to a comfortable operating temp?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:55 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool Graham - you are doing something we all wish to do at some stage :-)

I would be interested in our opinions of the cars - I assume you have driven a stock SC etc.

Keep the reports and pic's coming please.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nik. I reckon you are about right. Pretty hard to tell where there are s few in the country and they dont come up on TM very often. Last one I saw was a while back at around 30K IIRC.

Great work Graeme. Ive been to Helsinki (Finland) but not Sweden. Looks a bit cold for my tropical blood but what an experience. Love the cage fabrication - looks so clean and tight into A pillars - all the 911 ones I see in NZ are ugly by comparison (maybe the rules). Id imagine the lessons you are learning are directly transferrable to gravel rally in many ways. bring on the RSG 911 SC rally car I say - Daves just bought the donor!

Im off this morning to pick up a 991 GT3 owner (full track/race car conversion) from Australia who is over here on business (CEO of a small aircraft manufactures Australasian operations) to have a coffe and chat down Kohi/St Heliers way. Bloody interesting the people you meet through owning a GT3 and my wife will attest. Actually same goes for any model of Porsche. We are staying with another GT3 owner in Malibu USA on our way back to NZ in April. Its a small world. Keep the faith.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Speaking of Tuthill. I watched this video of Chris Harris driving the Tuthill rally car. It actually looks like he's making an effort for once At least he didn't bin it like he did his e30 rally car

Old 01-19-2015, 04:51 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nzskater
Sounds fantastic, thanks for the update. This is on my bucket list for sure.

Given the climate, is it hard to bring the cars up to a comfortable operating temp?
At the end of the day the cars were being readied for a short drive back to lock up garage and one car had not been driven all day. The instructor days to me "want a ride around the big road circuit" so I jump in and the engine is warmed and off he goes. The brakes are frozen and don't work properly the first 2 corners....

No heater inside just heat from engine and no insulation. got a bit hot in the afternoon once we were on the 7ml studs and we were going faster
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

haven't driven a standard SC. these cars feel and look like full race cars.
switchgear, seats, etc light and good
Old 01-19-2015, 05:58 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Clearly the options available to Swedish Porsche buyers are more comprehensive than those in the South Pacific. Why aren't local 911 owners presented in this trim? Enjoy the "Ice Driving" Graeme.
http://i.instagram.com/jessica997turbo/
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2015, 07:35 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
No heater inside just heat from engine and no insulation. got a bit hot in the afternoon once we were on the 7ml studs and we were going faster
I'm feeling the cold through your posts Graeme!! Awesome stuff and looking forward to more reports - bucket list trip for sure!
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Im running out of time. Probably wont get to put this stuff and the yet to photograph items on TM till after I head off but heres a few pictures of stuff that will be going up in-case anyone is interested just PM me all reasonably priced. Shoes are 8.5 UK/NZ beyyer for a medium or narrow foot not a wide one. Louis Vuitton shoes were from my wedding worn for about 6 hours 10 years ago and like new. The rolls Royce of shoes absolutely beautifully crafted...
Attached Images                
Old 01-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Great turn out numbers for the 28 April RSG day I posted yesterday. Going to be a great way to say good bye to summer. If there is anyone on here wanting to join up to RSG and see how it all works this is a great opportunity to try out the track first time as evidenced by Jake and others last Tuesday. basically you will not find a more track friendly group and environment than one of these "Arrive & Drive" private track days. Well probably not hold another of these until the end of the year so get in if you are keen...sales pitch completed....
Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Can't agree more with the statement around it being a fantastic intro to track days. Highly recommend it for those looking to head out for the first time. Looking forward to the next one!
Old 01-19-2015, 10:21 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
Great turn out numbers for the 28 April RSG day I posted yesterday. Going to be a great way to say good bye to summer. If there is anyone on here wanting to join up to RSG and see how it all works this is a great opportunity to try out the track first time as evidenced by Jake and others last Tuesday. basically you will not find a more track friendly group and environment than one of these "Arrive & Drive" private track days. Well probably not hold another of these until the end of the year so get in if you are keen...sales pitch completed....
Macca. Did you post here or on the RSG website?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?