Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:16 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spotted a black 993 Turbo today, which turns out to be owned by a friendly Rennlister.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Well a 4S with a turbo spoiler anyway! At least the friendly Rennlister part is right. Fingers crossed we will catch up soon. Cheers, Andrew
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ 911
Well a 4S with a turbo spoiler anyway! At least the friendly Rennlister part is right. Fingers crossed we will catch up soon. Cheers, Andrew
Yip,
Clint also lives locally, we might have to get him to drag his 964 3.6 Turbo out.
Any other Rennlisters live in Hawkes Bay?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Does anyone have pics, or know what happened to Bill Fulfords red road going 964 RS? He purchased it new, and one of the four NZ new 964 RS's.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Andrew - have your moved? Great to have you in the North Island. If we make it to the end of the targa tour will definately see you in HB end of October...
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 AM
NZ 911
Advanced

Have indeed moved Mark. Got sick and tired of not only the shaking but more so the every day hassles that accompany living in Christchurch - including the misery that was driving the 993 on the roads.

The house is still in the hands of the insurance company - hard to believe (but true) that nearly 18 months after the main event nothing has been done as they still haven't made the decision to fix it or knock it down. Another indication of life in Christchurch is the fact that a pretty stuffed (but safe) house rented almost immediately and for more than we are paying for a modern home at the beach in Napier.

Now that I am a few hours drive away, helping out with Targa efforts is a real possibility. I also have a awd s/w with a tow bar and don't mind cleaning, polishing, changing wheels etc.
If not, you will definitely see me at the end and I can certainly offer safe parking and a bed.

Had an awesome drive from Christchurch up to Picton one night a week or so ago. Not super fast but no traffic so great driving. Another great run up SH50 the following night after the ferry crossing. A great bit of road from Takapau through to Napier. A bit closer to super fast at times!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Andrew,

Wow. I think most of us Kiwis under estimate what Christchurch folk have been through these last 18 months. Experiences such as this really put life into perspective and make you realize what your lucky to have and to enjoy as many experiences as you can while your on this mortal coil.

For the last six years I drive through the edge of a village each day to town in the morning. Its tidy and clean and everyone is turned out well in the morning waiting for a bus to town and work. These folk all have a big smile. Most of them don't have power, woke up with the sun and if they were lucky enough to have breakfast it was cooked over a smokey fire - yet they turn themselves out with white shirts and big smiles every morning and are generally a happy people. And heres the rest of the world coveting their neighbors new Audi wagon (and sometimes wife) fighting to get to the top of the heap and generally spending their whole lives running so fast to catch up with Mr and Mrs Jones that they miss all the important stuff in life....

Anyway - its sounds like the move to Napier has provided a "sea change" for the family. Some great driving roads too.

Weve booked all our Targa Accommodation (Havelock North for the last two nights) but would love to catch up with you for a meal while were down there. Will PM you for details. If we make it that far we may need a hand duct taping something back on the car for the trip back to AKLD LOL! I think that Takapau road is on the Targa route. Im sure well be exhausted by then and taking it very easy. It will simply be fun to be riving RHD, stick on sealed roads again from our perspective as the last time we will have driven that combination will have been the Parade!

Cheers
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Does anyone have pics, or know what happened to Bill Fulfords red road going 964 RS? He purchased it new, and one of the four NZ new 964 RS's.
it's not this one is it?

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ere-in-nz.html
Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

That was Andrew Whittakers I believe. Advert said 1 owner but it may well have been Bills before that...
Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Mark is right, thats Andrew Whittakers RS.

I sent Bill Fulford a cheeky email yesterday asking about his old 964 RS and got a phone call from him today! What a good guy. He couldnt remember any details of it though, other than Owen Evans raced it once at Manfield, and that when he sold it he traded it on a then brand new 993 RS (blue).
Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi Andrew,

Wow. I think most of us Kiwis under estimate what Christchurch folk have been through these last 18 months. Experiences such as this really put life into perspective and make you realize what your lucky to have and to enjoy as many experiences as you can while your on this mortal coil.

For the last six years I drive through the edge of a village each day to town in the morning. Its tidy and clean and everyone is turned out well in the morning waiting for a bus to town and work. These folk all have a big smile. Most of them don't have power, woke up with the sun and if they were lucky enough to have breakfast it was cooked over a smokey fire - yet they turn themselves out with white shirts and big smiles every morning and are generally a happy people. And heres the rest of the world coveting their neighbors new Audi wagon (and sometimes wife) fighting to get to the top of the heap and generally spending their whole lives running so fast to catch up with Mr and Mrs Jones that they miss all the important stuff in life....

Anyway - its sounds like the move to Napier has provided a "sea change" for the family. Some great driving roads too.

Weve booked all our Targa Accommodation (Havelock North for the last two nights) but would love to catch up with you for a meal while were down there. Will PM you for details. If we make it that far we may need a hand duct taping something back on the car for the trip back to AKLD LOL! I think that Takapau road is on the Targa route. Im sure well be exhausted by then and taking it very easy. It will simply be fun to be riving RHD, stick on sealed roads again from our perspective as the last time we will have driven that combination will have been the Parade!

Cheers
SH50 isnt a part of the Targa, though it might be a touring stage. Its a cool road with 3 one way bridges. Just watch out though, one of the local Highway Patrol guys lives down there - the Hastings end.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by NZ 911
Have indeed moved Mark. Got sick and tired of not only the shaking but more so the every day hassles that accompany living in Christchurch - including the misery that was driving the 993 on the roads.

The house is still in the hands of the insurance company - hard to believe (but true) that nearly 18 months after the main event nothing has been done as they still haven't made the decision to fix it or knock it down. Another indication of life in Christchurch is the fact that a pretty stuffed (but safe) house rented almost immediately and for more than we are paying for a modern home at the beach in Napier.

Now that I am a few hours drive away, helping out with Targa efforts is a real possibility. I also have a awd s/w with a tow bar and don't mind cleaning, polishing, changing wheels etc.
If not, you will definitely see me at the end and I can certainly offer safe parking and a bed.

Had an awesome drive from Christchurch up to Picton one night a week or so ago. Not super fast but no traffic so great driving. Another great run up SH50 the following night after the ferry crossing. A great bit of road from Takapau through to Napier. A bit closer to super fast at times!
Andrew, if you want a good local road to go for a run on head out to Seafield Road, its the back way from Bayview to Taradale.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Robert Dong (WTGN) bought the Iris Blue 993RS from Bill 13 years ago approx and has owned it ever since...

The Red RS owned by Whittaker was raced by Giltraps son for a season. I think it had some of the lightweight parts replaced with factory parts (bumpers, wheels) if I recall correctly. The car lived at Hazlers for a few years while I was restoring my 993 so I got a good chance to go over it. The Recaro drivers seat was put into Andrews 993T when he bought it new (he found it more comfortable than the standard seat - and I agree) so it was very worn by the time the 964RS was sold (the seat had done 90k km in that red 993TT which he used alot). Unfortunately those Recaros dont wear so well if you do alot of short trips..
Old 06-26-2012, 05:19 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Robert Dong (WTGN) bought the Iris Blue 993RS from Bill 13 years ago approx and has owned it ever since...

The Red RS owned by Whittaker was raced by Giltraps son for a season. I think it had some of the lightweight parts replaced with factory parts (bumpers, wheels) if I recall correctly. The car lived at Hazlers for a few years while I was restoring my 993 so I got a good chance to go over it. The Recaro drivers seat was put into Andrews 993T when he bought it new (he found it more comfortable than the standard seat - and I agree) so it was very worn by the time the 964RS was sold (the seat had done 90k km in that red 993TT which he used alot). Unfortunately those Recaros dont wear so well if you do alot of short trips..
Cheers Mark. Ive got a few articles featuring the Whittaker 964 RS. As for the Dong 993 RS, Ive done a few track days with that car in the early 2000's. I enjoyed chasing it
Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Ive had a few lunches with Robert over the years. Hes a really lovely guy and a handy wheel man. He drives that car the way it was intended...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?