Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Max bless his cotton socks!

There's no doubt as time goes by the turn over of the older cars slows. Rarely anything is forever. Along with Bob you and I John are the longest holders of our 911s from the kiwis on this thread. Needing money is not the reason for selling. Priorities and lifestyle change. These are the reasons it's hard to never say never. The last adage that everything is for sale at a price also holds relevance although somewhat cynically.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Just spoken to the interested party. I suspect it will come down to how well the colour change was done. Perversely, the better it is the less this works. I'm going to withdraw the car from the market as I can't be pfaffed with more calls. If this works or not, it was meant to be.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 PM
993 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Drove 600Km today taking the scenic routes from Queenstown to Invercargill.

Your speed limits are just as crazy as in Australia; 4 lane Motorway 110, gravel roads, 4 wheels in the air, 100 WTF. At least here you drive 10 over the limit instead of 10 under,
The difference is that here the roads are better and you don't crash into a kangaroo or Walibi every 100m..
BTW I assume these yellow signs are not actual speed limits but suggestions, right?
Yes the speed signs for corners that say things like 40 and 25 etc are to tell people what speed they should be doing but they are not speed limits for the corners. Luckily.

Also the motorway limit here is 100, not 110 (you may have been referring to Australia, but just in case! )
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John my British buyer Richard is still chomping at the bit. PM me if your deal falls over and you want to unleash sakes cyclone that is the Macca machine!

Know how you feel re the sale. Withdrew mine after 72 hrs and have been in peace. Have chosen only one party to have discussions with and my motto is que sera sera!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:59 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokes
Paul, this is the best link for door strap fix, this guy did a nice job. I followed the same method. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...p-failure.html

Steve

Thanks Steve - just reading now over a toasted sandwich........
Old 12-09-2014, 08:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John my British buyer Richard is still chomping at the bit. PM me if your deal falls over and you want to unleash sakes cyclone that is the Macca machine! Know how you feel re the sale. Withdrew mine after 72 hrs and have been in peace. Have chosen only one party to have discussions with and my motto is que sera sera!
Will do. I was just thinking that you could become the missing link in the NZ air cooled market, sourcing and exporting cars to the UK. The collectors spoken to so far could be just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Last pic of the 996TT. Full tank, cleaned and ready for the transporter. It's a heck of a car for the money, but the space it has unleashed is more valuable to me. Just researching scissor lifts....
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

If you'd told me it could stick to the ceiling I'd have picked it up!!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Will do. I was just thinking that you could become the missing link in the NZ air cooled market, sourcing and exporting cars to the UK. The collectors spoken to so far could be just the tip of the iceberg.
LOL! I could also change my name to something like....Max! Joking. The idea has crossed my mind many times. I probably have the connections and some of the experience (in a reverse manner), but it wouldnt make a good living. More a passion. The numbers we are talking about are very small, the NZ vendors a tough bunch and the wealthy offshore buyers even more so. Ive looked at the margin calcs and to make it bearable for both buyer and seller parties (10%) its borderline. I see why the guys who make good from it like the guy I know in Monaco I mentioned only touch the heavy metal. 500K plus at 5% plus dispersements and it starts to work. The thing is the real margin is in doing it from NZ would be in buying the cars and exporting them yourself. Just need a strong network on the other side. Certainly something I may foster when in UK next and the working capital isnt too much of an issue. If you see me starting to buy 3.3T on TM in the next few years you will know whats up ;-)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Ok. Decided Herman needs to get back on the track so have entered the Classic Trial on Sunday. This will increase the number of wheels being changed this week and I figure it's time to get an impact wrench. Any suggestions on brand and model?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
If you'd told me it could stick to the ceiling I'd have picked it up!!
Rennlist needs to fix the app. If it's that orientation I can't change it by editing the photo.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Taking a Porsche to a track day? Welcome back from the jungle John. In seriousness would also be curious as to recommendations for a battery operated impact driver. Jamie has done some research on scissor lifts...
Old 12-09-2014, 08:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

It is only Classic Trials. They needed numbers and I will be doing 2k cup logistics anyway so it makes sense. I will be careful with the 2/3 shift. Time bar has dropped to 1:27.

I've read that Makita brushless impact drivers are good. No idea with scissor lifts. I must be able to simply drive into place, single phase and reasonable floor loading as I won't do any concrete work c
Old 12-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Wink

Last pic of the 996TT. Full tank, cleaned and ready for the transporter. It's a heck of a car for the money, but the space it has unleashed is more valuable to me. Just researching scissor lifts....
John,

Appreciate if you let me know how you go with your scissors lift investigation or two post lift (there is a portable one too). It is on my list to install one.

Steve
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rennlist needs to fix the app. If it's that orientation I can't change it by editing the photo.
Might not be Rennlist's fault.

I spent some time recently looking into this problem for another iPerson. IIRC, the bottom line is that iPhones are like digital cameras in that they record the orientation of the photo at the time you snap it, but unlike Android phones, they do it as as a function of the iPhone's orientation rather than the direction of gravity. So if you hold your iPhone 'upside down' your photo is tagged to be 'this way up' (upside down). This allows creative Apple effects like your ceiling hugging cars, which would normally need post-processing - ie flipping - to achieve with most Android phone cams. Increasing the potential for confusion, i believe recent iPhones have the official 'shutter' button on 'top', but can also allow the button on the opposite side to trigger the camera, making it easy to inadvertently use it when held upside down.

As you noticed John, even if the pic is later flipped in some 3rd party editor it can still retain Apple's original 'this way up' flag, which some software still respects. Really annoying - even more so with videos, where a 'fixed' video may show fine on PC but not back on an Apple device for instance. Hampton laps look quite different upside down.

iExperts probably know more about it and apparently there are some apps that can correct the upside photos/videos automatically. Easiest though is probably to just assign a different function to the iPhone's 'false' shutter button, leaving just the proper button active.

TLDR version: just stop holding the camera upside down

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-09-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?