Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good plan John. No hardship either way. Good luck with Richard and let me know if you need my help there.

Its been a really interesting journey these last few weeks for John and I. We have learnt many things about A) the NZ market and B). the UK market and its various follies and peculiarities.

Lets just say that vendors (such as the 3.3Ts and 993TT) that believe they can replicate UK top shelf pricing in NZ for imported cars with scratchy records are smoking crack cocaine IMO. Id love it to be different as I would benefit.

Its never a hardship having a wonderful aircooled in the garage tho :-)
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Macca, I have been to Kings many times over the last four years and had the final event with the Graduation Ball on Tuesday. The remarkable thing I've noticed is how unremarkable the cars were in all of those places. I suspect the upper end market in NZ is very small and let's face it, NZ had nowhere near the overseas wealth. Even a visit to Sydney shows that.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

You are right John. The wealthy in NZ by way of generalisation have fairly bland choice in cars. A walk around some of the wealthier Auckland neighbourhoods will confirm this. I think in the last 40 years NZers have buy and large become less interested in performance cars. There was a spike when the Jap imports came in en mass during the late 90s but its not like back in the old days when they had beach races, street races and an enviable Tasman Season for F1 and some top flight drivers. Everyone could watch motorsports and many had car aspirations rich and poor. Those days are gone somewhat regardless of relative wealth of the NZ buying public.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Good plan John. No hardship either way. Good luck with Richard and let me know if you need my help there. Its been a really interesting journey these last few weeks for John and I. We have learnt many things about A) the NZ market and B). the UK market and its various follies and peculiarities. Lets just say that vendors (such as the 3.3Ts and 993TT) that believe they can replicate UK top shelf pricing in NZ for imported cars with scratchy records are smoking crack cocaine IMO. Id love it to be different as I would benefit. Its never a hardship having a wonderful aircooled in the garage tho :-)
Some great invites to view collections, second hand info on Magnus from a Turbo 3.6 owner that drive his car to Vegas. Good info on the market dynamics and I have to say a real buzz to know that I own a an appreciating car.

As you say, the market is discerning. It knows what it wants and how much it's prepared to pay. A no stories average mileage Turbo 3.6 is $300,000. Present it as new ex Brunei and you may get $400,000.

Bought at $150,000 and imported to the UK at an all up cost of $200,000 it presents good buying to a section of UK buyers and that's where I'm aiming. If it doesn't work out now, I just keep it and watch it appreciate while I drive it.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I just keep it and watch it appreciate while I drive it.
Thats the idea, right there!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just been shopping with the missus in Newmarket for the girls and swung past to have a look. This car had a nose to tail with a truck when 4 months old and was fixed by Evans.

It's a stunning car, even Jen loved it and may have given permission (if I had the money).

I went to test the hardbacks for fit :-)

Between this, Max's cars, JMc's 3.6T, Macca's 993 and Dave's GT3 - there is A LOT of candy if you have the money at the moment.
Attached Images    
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Thats the idea, right there!
Would have driven it today but I had to stretch Herman's legs before the Classic Trial on Sunday. Plan is still to take it on road trips over the break, if I still own it.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts
Default SC

Anyone know this car. Zooming in the pics looks like paint flakes around the Porsche badge, and torn front seat. Reasonable price depending on condition.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=820609001
Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokes
Anyone know this car. Zooming in the pics looks like paint flakes around the Porsche badge, and torn front seat. Reasonable price depending on condition. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=820609001
Already sold.

Last night while sitting on the transporter finishing the loading for the trip to ChCh I got a call to ask if my 996TT was still available. Um no. A short conversation.

No time to think in this game. It must be only a matter of time before some mutts have a flash coat and a for sale sign is hung up. Even the gurus here won't have time to say anything before the deal is done.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

The NZ Porsche speculative bubble is going to be even more exciting than the Auckland housing market bubble.

Mind you - coz we don't earn much by world standards - only the cheap stuff (circa $50K) will move quickly as that's where most people’s budgets putter out. The $150K stuff will sit longer unless a bargain as the disposable cash punter numbers dwindle.........

I imagine sub $50K 911's will become a thing of the past in 12-18 months in NZ.

Mind you - you can still get them in Aussie and buy 964 C4's all day long for around $60 AUD - so maybe a few will get brave (or desperate to not miss out) and land them here for $70K (assuming your are GST registered).

Which reminds me - just watching the auction results come through from Wed/Thurs, looks like central Auckland prices have just done another 5%-10% jump for prime stock since the election.

On paper us Dorklanders have made enough paper profits to buy new Porsches.

I think we should congratulate ourselves and put another Pcar on the house with our new found equity! Those $150K cars only cost $8K or $150wk int only - that's just a night out with the missus........

What do ya reckon?? (It's worked for the Yanks and Euro's for several years 2002 - 2008)

My satire is not as good as Michael's...............
Old 12-11-2014, 11:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Absolutely, rack up another Porsche on the mortgage. Eventually it will pay my salary

I don't sense prices rising much so far, but it must be coming as sellers get a bit smarter. There have been some interesting pricing decisions. If it's sold within the day it was most likely underpriced.

As for houses. At this rate I can retire early, if I choose to move to the provinces. Something has to give. Mind you I said the same when trying to buy in 1988.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Absolutely, rack up another Porsche on the mortgage. Eventually it will pay my salary

I don't sense prices rising much so far, but it must be coming as sellers get a bit smarter. There have been some interesting pricing decisions. If it's sold within the day it was most likely underpriced.

As for houses. At this rate I can retire early, if I choose to move to the provinces. Something has to give. Mind you I said the same when trying to buy in 1988.
In 88 we had the sharemarket crash - you would have been getting a good deal. Mind you the propery crash lagged 2-3years. The property crunch wasn't until 1991. P.s. was there a reported shortage of housing then too?

Hey John - you should go to the bosses and suggest they start allowing 100% loans against 911's as security?? Safer than houses mate.......??
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

We need to start buying these out of Aussie??

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...-2987714&Cr=31

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...D-955541&Cr=32
Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Between this, Max's cars, JMc's 3.6T, Macca's 993 and Dave's GT3 - there is A LOT of candy if you have the money at the moment.
Paul you could sell up, move to Hamilton and buy all of the above with what you'll have left! And you'll still be the same distance from HD
Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Right now nothing has really changed in the market. Cheap stuff sells over 50K is slower over 100K slower still. The only sale in the last three months that indicated some pent up demand is the CHCH red NZ new 964 C4 for early 50s. Other than that nothing leads me to believe anything has yet changed. Id like to think it will moving forward.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?