Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 05:29 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by shiraz
Wow, 20 kw (27 ps) is huge increase.
Sure is. I'd say this is one reason why Doug and I are so even on the track despite the weight penalty with the C4. Now I'm letting the engine cool to do the new kit install. Don't think I'll have any problems selling the Steve Wong chip after that result.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. I had most of my post ecu install tuning done at Torque Performance as you know. My experience was also that the Steve Wong chip gave in the end very similar results to the LINK ECU and cams once they were backed down for drive-ability. 20kw however is alot. Are you sure the ECU you were comparing with was the right Bosch number for your car or did you use teh same ECU changing the chip between factory and SW chip? I ask because swapping ECUs can give big differences in power as others have found (i.e. ECU may be different between NZ & UK, Sing and Japan cars etc).

It would be great if you could post the plots when you are able as Id be interested in seeing these as Im sure others will be.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:50 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
It would be great if you could post the plots when you are able as Id be interested in seeing these as Im sure others will be.
I'd be interested in seeing them, too.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:56 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
Yes, nuts aye. I vaguely remember PCNZ getting a discount on Bridgestones, anyone recall?
Back when they were sponsoring the Bridgestone series I think. These days Hankook are the preferred tyre.

Based on the pricing I reckon the MPSS's are the way to go - there may be a buyer for your RE050 fronts? and bring the net cost to less than $2k the set.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug, thanks to Racoguy we ran two ECUs. The Steve Wong chip added 20kW at the rear wheels.
Heh, bloody cheap 10% extra HP. Glad I "bags'd" your SW chip once you upgrade to your new setup.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:19 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Japanese rubber will always be cheaper or same price in NZ compared to USA and UK. European rubber will be cheaper in UK. Also in USA Michelin have a massive pressing and production plant so non "Porsche N rated" tyres via USA are very cheap compared to NZ. Unfortunately N rated are made in France at the facility there so quite a bit more expensive landed. There was some talk of another container ex Graemes contact coming over - this would be a good opportunity for tyres - and I know plenty in the group would take advantage of this. For the 19s Doug I would consider MPSS.
Thanks Macca. That looks like the direction I'll take. I've been trying to find the email trail to ask about the container repeat idea but can't find it via my ipad. Will try harder to find it and ask.

I'll be keen to order rotors for some rotors too. Heavy and at US$5/ cubit foot freight couldn't be cheaper.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good point re rotors. Id definitely grab some for the GT3 if a container opportunity comes up again.

Just measured my tyres all round using digital guage. MPSC2 who wear between 4.89mm to 5.94mm from inside groove to outside 60% front right and similar rear. Passenger side of car showing 4.38 to 5.43 on front and similar on rear but high side 4.98. Im assuming extra wear on passenger side result of HD this week.

Remarkable - the car has 9300km on it with three full track days (well one was wet and one was a half day but 6 sessions) plus a 12 lap session in July. On top of that at least half the road Kms have been fast (in some case quite aggressive and on hot rough surfaces). Im unsure what the factory supply these with but I believe 8mm. 991 GT3 owners finding fronts wearing slightly quicker than rears and my numbers probably support that although overall wear is incredibly similar. A little additional front and rear camber over stock is showing up on the increased inside wear I guess due to 4-5000 touring Kms.

My thoughts after Tuesday are the tyres are pretty much heat cycled out. But its hard to say as the temps and conditions were so different between July, September, and Jan. The fact that around 50% of tread remains is surprising. Realistically the tyres have another 3000km of road work and a track day left in them so even though they may be past their best I think its worth running them longer as they are expensive to replace!

If you need a track/road tyre for the Cayman R John I would be looking towards the MPSC2 if you have the budget. they serve both duties well and seem to last well to boot.

Doug. Youll need to check with SW that chip will work with your ECU etc
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

I know we have a couple of RS2 fans on this forum. Have you guys seen this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=831778519
Old 01-15-2015, 06:42 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Sure is. I'd say this is one reason why Doug and I are so even on the track despite the weight penalty with the C4. Now I'm letting the engine cool to do the new kit install. Don't think I'll have any problems selling the Steve Wong chip after that result.
SOLD
Old 01-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
I know we have a couple of RS2 fans on this forum. Have you guys seen this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=831778519
Nik. Do you think at that reserve this is economically viable to repair and bring back up to presentable condition? Looks like its quite dirty/dusty inside - not a pristine example. Im thinking 10K in parts and similar in labour to get it back to presentable together possibly a further 10K depending on how much paint is needed and if the damaged Cup alloy is serviceable, replace front fog lights etc. Definitely not of interest to me but an interesting proposition for someone on this board I have no doubt...legendary wagon
Old 01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Macca, yep, I know we ned to compare CPUs and check John's chip is compatible. It's possibly a 50/50 call on that front. The chips is on my wish list after the experiences of many who have upgraded to it, John and Paul included.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

It was the best engine performance money I spent on my 993. I started with Steve Wiener chip on 2001. Upgraded to SWong chip when I went LWFC 2009. Did dyno and picked up 20 bhp with muffler and air filter over factory. However it was throttle response that was most noticeable improvement. SW chip was customised by me by Steve after dyno charts with AFRs emailed to him. Power increase of chip wasnt overly noticeable but the car did run better.

I still have Steve Wiener (Rennsport Systems) chip for early production NZ 993 in my lock up for anyone wishing to acquire one. Will need to check Bosch ECU part number to ensure it will work. We tried Graemes early 1994 NZ 993 chip in Jamies ex Sing 993 (from memory - it was about 10 years ago!) and that one wouldnt run at all.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Maybe we should be buying tyres out of Europe ATM with the kicking the Euro is taking...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 626 Likes on 369 Posts

Sorry to a abandon my post but I'm donkey deep in the injector replacement. Wish me and Herman luck.
Attached Images   
Old 01-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks like an operating theatre, very nice. What were the details to get 20kw extra? Just a Sw chip? So this was the base line run before the goodies are fitted?

Edit; got so excited I didn't read on for more details. Shot too soon....again

Changing injectors? That sounds like highly technical work. I couldn't even figure out where the rear wiper electrical plug is on the SC to do a rear wiper delete......

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?