Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:09 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete - slightly lowered with a Cayman S stripe - I'm liking this mate...........
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Not sure how much of the holidays you'll be over for but this year the tolerance is just 1kph. Last year it was 5kph, not that long ago it was 10 kph. What next? Minus 5kph? Tell us to divide the posted speed by 2 and add 20? An incredibly stringent physical and something like an F1 superlicence needed to manually drive a vehicle on a public road? Laugh while you can - this is starting to happen at an exponential rate. Actually, we already know how they'll get around not being able to reduce tolerances further - just drop the posted limits all over the show as they're doing.

Here's a different take: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...-lack-of-skill
Its alarming. Im probably a bit non conformist for NZ partly why I left. When you get shat on you need to stick up for your principles is how I see it simple as that. Over the last 12 years I did it twice on these boards for the 993 wiring loom recall 10 years ago and more recently the 991 GT3 Worldwide Action Group. Both were successful. Kiwis way to complacent and timid IMO. Need to listen to more Marley and smoke less dope. Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights...

Im back for 5 weeks and the ban lasts the whole period Im there basically. Then Im off for 3 months to Mexico where I can do what I like!

Its ridiculous. Ill probably loose my license on this trip (any tips Buba?). 1 kmph - my speedo has a greater margin of error. It political nonsense. The country need a reality check and the people who care about personal freedom and the spirit of driving need to question if sitting on their asses is the right thing to do.

Sorry for the strong line. Looking at NZ from outside over the last 9 years and watching the continued degradation of social freedoms is alarming especially when some affect directly my enjoyment of the little time I spend there (not the smacking in public one Buba so dont get any kinky ideas!). If you could see it like I do you might wake up a bit to it too. I didnt leave NZ because it was a PC nanny state that curtails to every minority group whim but I sure woke up to the fact once I started travelling and living a "global" life. Its not the worst dont get me wrong (Australia is hot on its tail) but its not even as liberal as many US states and Europe even seems to have more tolerance for common sense and less bandwidth for idiocy laws.

Maybe I have it all wrong and its simply those countries have a wider tolerance for corruption and NZ is just to "clean" ha ha!

Rant over. continue scheduled programming...:-)
Old 12-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave and Dougie - a facebook page for you to look at (just in case you have some spare time).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Outla...00131856664961
Yeah, that's the good stuff there. Hoping to get down to Pirongia before Xmas to see what's going on with mine. Have to start pulling finger and getting on with the inside bits. Finally got the seats finished last night - the making of anyway, not the soft bits yet. Still to follow up on the auto upholstery leads.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:31 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave - I'm liking the understated, slightly sportly look of this..........
That is almost exactly my spec there. Non S front bumper in steel, rocker and bumper trim delete, but a modest black strips in place. The fuchs will be more trad. with the regular black out but showing a bit more rim and a bit more of the florets at the ends.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. You have PMs
Old 12-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
I agree with Paul. Thats a fine looking low key machine there.

Heres a few of a friend and his mate taken a few years ago at a couple of Euro rallys.This is your cookie cutter look Dave. I think the race stickers and a set of Cebies are all that you need....
Yes, I'm going to do to cookie cutters what I did to D90's; make them uber cool again. OK, so I failed there. I've been looking at lots of wheel options, a favourite is a Co. In the UK that has started remanufacturing Campagnolo alloys. Group 4 wheels. Magnus used a few sets before he went with his own design.
I've also considered Cibies but no final decision on that yet. Yellow headlight lenses tickle me right now too but I guess they are not legal here.
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Compass look grand dave. Yellow headlights wouldn't work as well with orange paint I feel but yellow cibies might provide the sctatch
Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

RE: speed tolerance. this kind of approach to an issue is ridiculous, especially if you consider the overhead to actually police it. As Macca has clearly pointed out it represents the ludicrous nature in which we are nannied in NZ. I agree to the standing up against this in theory, but I just don't think there'd be enough public support in practice. My expectation is that the very people responsible for most accidents (poor drivers who don't focus on actually driving) believe this will actually help them.

Originally Posted by Macca
John. You have PMs
Is kind of like watching them whisper in the corner...
Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Guys, I don't think it's changed but the old fine was $30 and 10 demerit points for less than 9km over the limit. I'd be tempted to do it to waste their time. And think of the positives i.e. The slower traffic will make for quicker kills.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:57 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Semi agreement that I can buy another 964 to keep Herman company if both Turbos sell. That's still a big if but I like the thought of getting a ropey one and spannering.

As for secret whispers, just sorting out the World's problems
Old 12-08-2014, 06:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Semi agreement that I can buy another 964 to keep Herman company if both Turbos sell. That's still a big if but I like the thought of getting a ropey one and spannering.

As for secret whispers, just sorting out the World's problems
So does Herman get a new door and paint job now??
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh John..
just get Donna a new car....
We in the water bucket brigade can only watch and weep as another leaves our fold..
well done..how much you give away..? Or were you forthright and firm as stated?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
And think of the positives i.e. The slower traffic will make for quicker kills.
LOL - love that take John. Bet the more faithful of certain missionaries had similar thoughts when someone lit a fire under their pot ... 'thank you for the lovely warm bath we are about to receive'!!!

Originally Posted by nzskater
RE: speed tolerance. this kind of approach to an issue is ridiculous, especially if you consider the overhead to actually police it ... My expectation is that the very people responsible for most accidents (poor drivers who don't focus on actually driving) believe this will actually help them.
Yes, you're onto it. It's easy to think that all you need to be safe is to keep below the number on the sign. Much easier than checking your tyre pressures, clearing the frost off your windscreen, getting that clunking noise checked out, learning to look further ahead down the road etc etc.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I agree to the standing up against this in theory, but I just don't think there'd be enough public support in practice. My expectation is that the very people responsible for most accidents (poor drivers who don't focus on actually driving) believe this will actually help them.

Is kind of like watching them whisper in the corner...
Jake. Its not that hard. There are from memory around 50-100 car clubs in NZ. Lets say on average they have 500 unique members (many have less but others such as Targa Club and Drifter Club have many 1000s). Then you have say 4-5 key NZ motor magazines (Classic Driver through to Fast 4s and Rotaries etc) that have collective subscriber base of 80,000. OK you are doubling up numbers plenty here. If you have funding then you have AA magazine and its audience probably 100K+ motorists.

With 30K and a pro bono professional spin doctor, a team of part time volunteer helpers 5-7 you have the making of a campaign with reach to an warm audience. Lobbying Jo Blow is costly and ineffective. Lobbying people who enjoy driving is not. There are also plenty of cross over lifestyle segments that can lend support. Libertarians, 4WD groups, and then the fringe stuff (basically anyone in Kaitia with a patch).

Now you go the Bikies, their clubs and their magazines. Sports bikes, trial bikes, MotoX and the Harley boys (mostly lawyers with mid life crisis so handy to have on board).

You get a few QCs on board, some top lawyers like John Billington and some "NZ famous" hard-liners.

We arent talking about dangerous driving here or about being wreckless, this needs to be a rival rights campaign and a freedom story and focus on the government legislating for revenue beyond the statistical margin of error.

I have a mate in Vienna. Hard core car guy. Hes one of the worlds pre emminate mathematician and offered to take Jo and I for lunch at Xmas when we were in Monaco. Pete's thinking 991 GT3RS right now and emails me twice a week (currently has 458 and tossing up Speciale or RS). He travels the world lecturing. Well written. Quantum stuff well above my head and poor example as hes not a statistician but I bet he knows some of the worlds best. Then you get a Human Factors Engineering guy (my degree). Already there will be screeds of data on the physiological threshold for operation of mechanical devices (i.e. accelerator pedal) or machine man interaction and sensitivity tolerances.

You get a single statement in writing from a mathematican/statistician and a Ergo guy that 1kmph is beyond all reasonable physiological ans statistical control tolerances for a reasonable human being and you sue the government for unrealistic legal tolerance enforcement. regardless if you have a case you watch the free media eat that up!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, that's the good stuff there. Hoping to get down to Pirongia before Xmas to see what's going on with mine. Have to start pulling finger and getting on with the inside bits. Finally got the seats finished last night - the making of anyway, not the soft bits yet. Still to follow up on the auto upholstery leads.
Cool Dave. Will check your thread for new seat pics. BTW, they're probably almost as rare as rocking horse poo but what looked to be a signal orange long hood caught my attention as it headed north from the bridge as I was going south after the Milford meet. Brilliant colour that traps the eye - can't wait to see her come together!

Peter - you didn't happen to have a GoPro riding shotgun did you? Must've been some nice driving!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?