Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Have sent you PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Just makes me want one more. I don't want a car that has so many nannies it can do this:

Koenigsegg Agera R owns Bugatti Veyron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywqgH7n-5g
The P1 has more nannies on-board than any Porsche. So does the 458 speciale for that matter which has a device for helping you safely drift. No nannie will stop a wally however....darwinsim award maybe.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
The P1 has more nannies on-board than any Porsche. So does the 458 speciale for that matter which has a device for helping you safely drift. No nannie will stop a wally however....darwinsim award maybe.
Would hope the Speciale's nannies are equally defeatable as the P1s but suspect not. From Road and Track's review by Chris Harris:

"And then I switched off everything and tried to fathom what a 903-hp mid-engine coupe with no locking rear differential would be like shorn of its nannying electronics. The car came alive even further. It's far more amenable than a 12C, happy to be provoked into slides with mid-corner throttle lifts, then have them sustained with doses of the accelerator. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the P1 would have such a multilayered character or that it would reveal itself so willingly."

I prefer to have some challenge and skill required. The 996 GT3 bit Clarkson (though perhaps staged like 98% of TG) and the P1 got close to biting someone on the TG team too: http://www.rssportscars.com/videos/m...son-drift-fail

You're right though Mark that it pays to remember that in the real life arms race between idiocy and safety technology, idiocy will always be a step ahead. Can't speak for how that goes with this driver though you'd think the graduated approach to learning the potential of a P1 is probably the wiser one.

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-07-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:49 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Ta guys - was an awesome weekend all round. Got lucky with the handicapping I guess plus the fellow 944 crew holding up the field

I do like Puke and the fast corners - probably helps being about the only one of us who hasn't had a big hairy moment there - yet!
Congrats mate, that's awesome! Looks like you had a great run in the last Porsche race as well.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

John. Have sent you PM.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:37 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KiwiSean
Congrats mate, that's awesome! Looks like you had a great run in the last Porsche race as well.
Thanks. Let the GT3s past after the safety car and then made myself as wide as possible. Had to hold Kevin C off for 3 laps - which was fun

Don't suppose you've found any decent photos online?
Old 12-08-2014, 02:53 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Damn, and there I was all ready to volunteer my services as a delivery driver/shakedown tester (thinking The Transporter...) Or maybe not. It has started already - some 100 kph roads down to 80, some 70s to 60. More than 50 sections just in the Tasman District alone. As I predicted recently, those being dropped are "mostly rural roads": http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news...imit-confusion
And here I was looking forward to traversing some of the B roads of my hometown... The road mentioned in the article has a long history of throwing off aggressive drivers; I can remember stories of quite a few classmates losing it and ending up in the ditch. I don't think a 10kph adjustment is going to fix that, be it in a P1 or a rusty old HQ.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Like I said time to pull finger from *** and take these turkeys to task before you live in a country where you can't even legally enjoy to drive amongst the accelerated loss recently of other social freedoms. Car clubs in NZ have 100000 members and I'm sure a modest budget would increase that number three fold!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave and Dougie - a facebook page for you to look at (just in case you have some spare time).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Outla...00131856664961
Old 12-08-2014, 05:01 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Dave - I'm liking the understated, slightly sportly look of this..........
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:02 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Love the avatar buba!

P.S. Tonnes of cool content on that FB page, much of what we have seen before including some 993 **** but also some very cool RGruppe stuff
Old 12-08-2014, 05:03 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Oooooh - 911 crack cocaine........
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Love the avatar buba!

P.S. Tonnes of cool content on that FB page, much of what we have seen before including some 993 **** but also some very cool RGruppe stuff
Love yours too mate (long distance love letter sugar......)
Old 12-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

I agree with Paul. Thats a fine looking low key machine there.

Heres a few of a friend and his mate taken a few years ago at a couple of Euro rallys.This is your cookie cutter look Dave. I think the race stickers and a set of Cebies are all that you need....
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said time to pull finger from *** and take these turkeys to task before you live in a country where you can't even legally enjoy to drive amongst the accelerated loss recently of other social freedoms. Car clubs in NZ have 100000 members and I'm sure a modest budget would increase that number three fold!
Not sure how much of the holidays you'll be over for but this year the extended holiday period discretionary tolerance is just 1kph. And remember that 1kph discretion includes passing lanes. Last year it was 5kph, not that long ago it was 10 kph. What next? Minus 5kph? Tell us to divide the posted speed by 2 and add 20? An incredibly stringent physical and something like an F1 superlicence needed to manually drive a vehicle on a public road? Laugh while you can - this is starting to happen at an exponential rate. Actually, we already know how they'll get around not being able to reduce tolerances further - just drop the posted limits all over the show as they're doing.

Here's a different take: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...-lack-of-skill

Data is power and the well known Road Toll frame of reference has been carefully chosen to prop up such initiatives. What's needed is for a decent applied statistician to reanalyse the stats to use valid indices of social and economic costs and benefits.

If they're not sure what to use, they could start by expressing the social costs and benefits of road travel in Quality Adjusted Life Years (QALYs) per billion kilometres travelled. This would include the social cost of slowing the travels of 4.5 million New Zealanders with the social cost of - age and condition adjusted - deaths and injuries. Unspeakably tragic as they are in almost any circumstances, vehicular suicides for instance would have a much lower cost in QALYs than true accidents (since their life expectancy was presumably very low before the deliberate crash, regardless of what exit method they chose), as would crashes due to the kinds of medical emergency that more typically befall the elderly (who have lived most of their QALYs already).

That kind of reasoned approach is used in areas of Government spending like Pharmac's pharmaceutical purchasing but it does not play well with simplistically going large on lowering speed limits and ever toughening enforcement. It would show the truth ie more and more people are traveling more and more kilometres, in safer and safer cars, on safer and safer road designs and surfaces, with the individual risk of injury or death having steadily reduced over time. There's money in recognising that too, primarily through showing up the holy trinity of lowered speed limits, stricter enforcement and higher penalties as having been dressed in the emperor's new clothes by getting assigned the credit from those more fundamental travel improvements. But the savings from a more balanced approach would accrue to all 4.5M of us rather than as enforcement revenue hitting the government's consolidated fund - so don't hold your breath.

Bad decisions kill, and choosing an inappropriate speed (whether too fast or too slow for the conditions) is one of the worst potentially lethal mistakes we can make (after inattention), so I do understand that speed is an easy drum to beat.

I just wish they'd beat it more honestly rather than with blind fanaticism, driven and excused by misleading statistics.

To be clear, I care a LOT about road safety and have lost count of the number of times I've stopped to clear debris or livestock off the road, as well as jumping out at the lights to warn another driver of a flat tyre, and pulling over trucks on 3 occasions when they were either in the process of losing their load or at extreme risk of doing so.

Last edited by 996tnz; 12-08-2014 at 06:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?