Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
In 88 we had the sharemarket crash - you would have been getting a good deal. Mind you the propery crash lagged 2-3years. The property crunch wasn't until 1991. P.s. was there a reported shortage of housing then too? Hey John - you should go to the bosses and suggest they start allowing 100% loans against 911's as security?? Safer than houses mate.......??
Bought a leasehold unit in Bridgewater Rd Parnell. Old woman couldn't afford the lease increase. First lesson of property. Sold in '89 when the relationship went South. Second lesson. At the time, mortgages were 21% but inflation was higher so it was a licence to print money. Third lesson. Bought for $100,000. Same property sold in 2002. The compounding capital return was 4.75% per annum over the 14 years. Property did crash in 1991.

Property has never been cheap in Auckland. Just need to get in and pay the mortgage off. Buying Porsches with debt isn't the smartest move long term.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:49 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
Paul you could sell up, move to Hamilton and buy all of the above with what you'll have left! And you'll still be the same distance from HD

I don't mind the Tron - was forced to live there for 2 years. Meeting Jen there kinda sweetened the deal.........

I quite liked Woodstock. You could buy a big villa for under $300K in 2002. Don't think you could do that now??

What part of town are you in mate?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:06 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're out there Warwick, I can return the jack and stands this weekend if you're back from the US. Sent you a text. Thanks again for the loan of them; they worked a treat.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

The C3 out of hibernation, polished and cleaned right through and going back home. The boat coming back to live in the driveway clogs things up over summer so it has to go now or be stuck for 3 months.
Was great to have, but hardly drove it. The cage and (smaller) seats were quite difficult to just jump in and drive which kept it still for long stretches. I really like SC's, and this one softened, de caged and with some of my garage specification seats would be very nice to use all the time. And it looks and sounds great.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2014, 03:42 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

All this talk of rising Porsche prices... Inspires me to ruthlessly push on in my salary man ladder climbing The red SC looked good on paper (webpage?) and was probably worth a visit, but I'd rather a 964 or 993 to be honest (based on theory and no real world experience).

I've got the feelers out in places outside of Auckland, as I suspect there's a few old cars lurking about, outside the prying eyes of Auckland, Trademe and Facebook. Roping together a drive with the Nelson PCNZ community over Christmas. Should be fun regardless.

Completed the Mike Eady driver training today, so pending confirmed cover from Prestigio I'll be providing mobile road cone services on the 13th of Jan.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:12 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I don't mind the Tron - was forced to live there for 2 years. Meeting Jen there kinda sweetened the deal.........

I quite liked Woodstock. You could buy a big villa for under $300K in 2002. Don't think you could do that now??

What part of town are you in mate?
I don't know Woodstock well but even in Hamilton you can't buy much for $300k any more! We're in Rototuna, the new area in the north east. Some would say it's a bit characterless I guess, but this is only because it's new. We like the safety and quiet.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Obsessed
We're in Rototuna, the new area in the north east. Some would say it's a bit characterless I guess, but this is only because it's new. We like the safety and quiet.
Michael. Safety? You guys don't get Salties down there so is that from the Grizzly Bears? Just buy a 202 and a gun rack for the Truck mate, thats what we would do here ;-)
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by Maxem
The C3 out of hibernation, polished and cleaned right through and going back home. The boat coming back to live in the driveway clogs things up over summer so it has to go now or be stuck for 3 months.
Was great to have, but hardly drove it. The cage and (smaller) seats were quite difficult to just jump in and drive which kept it still for long stretches. I really like SC's, and this one softened, de caged and with some of my garage specification seats would be very nice to use all the time. And it looks and sounds great.
'Bout time you stopped hogging that Dave, maybe I'll get another go in it. It made a lasting impression on me (I think Steve knew it would), even though I only had it for a couple of days and drove it like a nanna. I had to drive it home on a stormy winter's night and it was fogging up. In the dark I couldn't get any ventilation going, or put the windows down, or even get any interior lighting to look for the right buttons. Good times!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:28 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Originally Posted by Macca
Michael. Safety? You guys don't get Salties down there so is that from the Grizzly Bears? Just buy a 202 and a gun rack for the Truck mate, thats what we would do here ;-)
Ha ha, yes that was a very first-world statement, wasn't it? I mean away from the rednecks.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies but I need to rant.....

No summer b road runs this season for me now after a merc backed out into Parnell Road straight into my path. I didn't even get to hit the brakes. Double **** for 2014 and lovely pcars for me. 40 years of driving accident free and now 2 in one year.

The boxster will be off the road for at least a month I suspect. Pissed off for a few reasons.... Will miss my regular holiday run from Oakura to Russell while we're holidaying for a few weeks. A precious once-a-year opportunity. It wasn't my bloody fault. The other driver didn't see me and thought the road was clear. And, if the insurance coy decide its too expensive to repair, its got 3 day old pilot super sport tyres that have clocked up 100km on it and I know I'll be left at least 10 grand short of money to replace it as you never win in that game. Lastly, when did you last see a nz new 2007+ boxster s manual, one owner in superb nick for sale? Let alone in dark grey which is my favourite Boxster colour. And for under $50k?

Bit sore in the chest, knee and left hand that must have got whacked by the air bag or something. Air bags deployed and Let out a cloud of smoke. I thought the car was burning and leapt out. Apparently they load them with powder to stop them sticking together so that they deploy smoothly. Feels and looks like smoke from a fire.

Not a fun experience but at least no body damage noticed thus far.

The other driver was pretty abusive accusing me of speeding, not looking where I was going. It was 6:35pm on Parnell road. It's impossible to speed at that time of day there and I have witnesses who said I was following 2-3 car lengths behind 3 cars. The driver didn't look hard enough before reversing on his 3 point turn. Police said it was pretty obvious to them who was in the wrong.

Would post photos but if she gets repaired don't really want them on the internet. Perhaps I should post one of the dude and his car who I hit. Big merc. Not much damage (but always worse than it looks).

End of rant. Angry. Sore. But I'll get over it.... eventually. Grrrrr
Old 12-12-2014, 05:54 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Doug, so sorry to hear that. Given what you've said as far as police and witnesses goes it sounds as though it should pan out ok. Find a supporter in the insurance company and get an assessment yourself to try expedite the process. You may have it sorted faster than you think.

While not $50k, it does tick a few boxes: https://trademe.co.nz/819741014 Porsche Boxster Spyder RS60 2008

Edit: just looked at the photos. That interior would take a little getting used to...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:03 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Thanks Jake, yes I've already seen and added the RS60 to my watch list. I actually like the traditional red leather with silver body. It's probably 20k+ more than I'll have and it will be a UK import. Mph on the speedo, risk of rust etc. The RS60 is a nice car though. Bit quicker too :-)
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Hi guys..Anyone have or know anyone with 964 rear seats they want to get rid of? Want some seats and belts so I can chuck the kids in the back. Please pm me..thanks
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Ndewar
Instructor

Sorry to hear about your accident Doug. These things happen to the nicest people. Insurance assessors should take all things into account and pay you out at a fair rate. Yeh right... Biggest disappointment is the lost opportunity to do what you love doing whilst on holiday. Sorry mate.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug. Jo and I read about your misfortune and are gutted for you. We know how much you love driving that car in summer. Cant believe the luck. Thats all it is, just a bad run of luck. I hope the insurance company pay you out to a satisfactory level, or fix the car to an acceptable standard. Its a real shame it was due to someone else's incompetence. Most important thing is it sounds like you are ok. Tomorrows another day. On the bright side you still have one Porsche in the garage!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?