Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016 | 12:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

very interesting Walt. I didn't realize that and agree discretion is still the better part then valour. Everyone has their own risk level, but to me at this level of Motorsport (Targa competitive stages) the driver should be the one in charge of making the judgement call. It seems to go against the spirit of the event IMO to enforce a draconian speed limit. You dont see it happening in WRC or any other similar stage type event. I just cant help think the PC police have the NZ event again in their grasp. Im not politically aware of the situation locally but when I hear MSNZ these days from others better informed than I it usually comes in a sentence book-ended with "have totally f8cked this up" or "have yet again proven their incompetence" etc. I have read Tony Quinns views on the governing body, and I have no doubt he has an angle to sell as well but as an outsider am I mistaken in thinking there is some criticism due to how MS in NZ is currently managed or am I just reading the comments of bleaters and haters?
Old 04-27-2016 | 01:53 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
very interesting Walt. I didn't realize that and agree discretion is still the better part then valour. Everyone has their own risk level, but to me at this level of Motorsport (Targa competitive stages) the driver should be the one in charge of making the judgement call. It seems to go against the spirit of the event IMO to enforce a draconian speed limit. You dont see it happening in WRC or any other similar stage type event.
True, but then again the FIA does effectively limit WRC top speeds to sub-250 via the class rules that limit engine capacity and specify pre-turbo air intake restrictors.

The FIA R-GT Cup competition is freer (though still intake restricted), shares some of the WRC rally courses, and could perhaps see higher speeds but was under subscribed, with the field comprising just 3 Porsche GT3s last year:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/septe...9--12-12-.html

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...7101.html#main

Maybe if the FIA didn't restrict the cars' power down they'd have had more competitor interest...
Old 04-27-2016 | 03:05 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Maybe. But probably irrelevant for gravel or snow. Maybe for a tarmac rally but still...
Old 04-27-2016 | 04:41 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I was under the understanding that the Targa NZ rally has always been speed limited to 200kph. Wasn't a problem at all in Mark H's 3.2 :-)
Graeme would know for sure.
Old 04-27-2016 | 09:09 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Have you guys watched the Isle of Man TT?

Most of the top riders support themselves with full-time jobs.

To me that's where top-level motorsport should be - reliant on the participant's risk/reward judgment with serious consequences for getting it wrong - a bit like life really!

The relative safety of modern F1 has resulted in a rather cavalier attitude to driver conduct - witness Schumacher's behaviour in his final years & Senna's throughout his career.

No one values anything unless they are cognizant of serious consequences for getting it wrong. Climbing K2, Moon flight etc should be hard... as JFK said in his famous speech at Rice University on 12th September 1962:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win."

Top level motorsport should "serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills...because that challenge is one we are willing to accept."

Therefore it should be a hard and risky enterprise only accepted by those who voluntarily choose it in full reliance on their own skills and judgment knowing the dangers.

I can't respect any competition which has been dumbed-down to protect people from themselves.
Tim
Old 04-27-2016 | 11:09 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Just managed to watch some of that Targa Tasmania footage Macca. arrived at a fb and ytube friendly place. Thing to remember is that TT is fully pace noted whereas Targa NZ is not. So you can't attack like this when the driver is relying on reading the road most of the time with only bigger hazards and junctions noted.

having said that - great outcome for Matt and team. need to give credit to co driver too as the calling is much more critical when relying on notes
Old 04-27-2016 | 06:18 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Tim well said. Agreed. Its interesting to read JFK's full RU address. To often are only the first two lines quoted. It makes for inspired reading. I love the IMTT. Have watched much footage from this and always in awe. Up there with the best rally sport. Graemes point is valid however, Targa stages are often un-sighted and repeated once only. All good debate. Evidence still leans towards MSNZ strangling events like this tho...
Old 04-27-2016 | 09:00 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by O2GO
I was under the understanding that the Targa NZ rally has always been speed limited to 200kph. Wasn't a problem at all in Mark H's 3.2 :-)
Graeme would know for sure.
yes always speed limited. We do have to watch speed but less so than the big hp cars
Old 04-28-2016 | 05:42 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Macca. I just heard about the quake. I hope you guys are ok.
Old 04-28-2016 | 05:57 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. All good hear. Got awaken by a nice swaying bed but the event was 160k north and 35km deep so not so noticeable down here....
Old 04-28-2016 | 06:35 PM
shiraz
Racer

^ "a nicely swaying bed" is a good way to wake up!
Old 04-28-2016 | 07:56 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks mate. All good hear. Got awaken by a nice swaying bed but the event was 160k north and 35km deep so not so noticeable down here....
Originally Posted by shiraz
As JMac posted on FB - Macca's morning cup of tea was probably gently slopping...

Good to hear mate!
Old 04-28-2016 | 08:33 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peterC2S
As JMac posted on FB - Macca's morning cup of tea was probably gently slopping...

Good to hear mate!
yea good to hear that all is well Macca.
Old 04-28-2016 | 08:58 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiraz
Thanks guys. Appreciate the thoughts.

I was momentary concerned my wife had taken a lover overnight but thankfully it was just a 7.3 rolling on through ;-p

We get 6++ frequently so have become conditioned. An EU study released this week ranked Vanuatu the most dangerous place on earth (when the risks were measured against the countries response capability and resources). Makes going around a race track at speed seem like a controlled limited risk environment to me lol!
Old 04-30-2016 | 05:33 AM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

...but may try and come back to catch one of the track sessions at least as it would be the first time in a number of years I will not get my fix on Pukes back straight! Doubt ill run the 993 (its too mint for the track :-))...

Macca
Just having a laugh at the early days on this thread. March 2006 would you believe! How's that mint 993 looking Macca??!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?