Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Creatively beachcombed from the NZ Herald.

Air cooled Porscheholics say ownership initially gave them an inner peace never experienced before but their "best friend" eventually turned on them with big maintenance bills. The pleasurable feelings disappeared, the problems increased yet they still chased the glory days until it was sold

Once they drive one again, an overwhelming desire to keep driving one takes over. Normal drivers find this seemingly bizarre, self-destructive condition hard to understand.

The 12 steps of Porsche ownership. Resistance is futile....
Yeah, Maybe. Talk about big bills, I've had a sweet run with 7 consecutive BMW's reliability wise and no extra ordinary big bills but the consistent 10-15k a year depreciation is getting tiring. A DD 911 might gobble 10-15k once or twice but not every year.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:17 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Afterall compared to my 993 every generation of the GT3 has become softer by comparison (watercooled, ESC, TC, PASM, heavier etc).
None of that applies to the 996, but after that, sure, they've progressively ruined it by turning it into more of a dual-use road car.

996.1 GT3 is lighter than the 993, 996.2 is only a shade heavier. No nannies beyond what the 993 has. Significantly more aggressive suspension design. Watercooling doesn't make anything softer.

my 993 which has gone equal or beyond the RS remit in most areas (suspension, brakes, engine, exhaust, geo, wheels & Tyres).
Your spring rates are ~20% softer than the 993RS and the RS is lighter, so the rate difference will be amplified by the weight difference.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up Luke!
I think you got a good one. The interior exterior colouring may be a bit challenging and its highish mileage but it's a manual c2 and the price was right. Can't see you ever loosing a dollar on that. If it were the UK according to an online blog I read yesterday it would be a 40k gbp car!

Which is all a great excuse for some mods!!! You'll find my 993 mod thread out there it's 2 years and many projects out of date now but has over 70000 hits. Paul and I can help direct you in regards to any stuff you choose to do on the car. Key recommendations would be coilovers, bushes, bearings cvs etc essentially suspension. After that you have drivetrain and lastly brakes ( not much needed here). Cosmetics are wheels, brake ducts, exhaust tips typically. The interior can benefit remarkably from work but gets incredibly expensive. There's more money in doing the interior than any other part of my car. Feel free to PM us or post questions as you are working through options. We can definitely save you money and headache!
Luke - with high miles - the suspension rubbers will be tired (my were with only 84k on the clock).

If I owned your car (or started again on mine) the first 2 jobs I would do are:

1) replace all the suspension rubbers, drop to RS + 10mm ride height and get a geo
2) Steve Wong chip - makes the car slightly more responsive and was the best improvement IMHO

And that's it..........

I wouldn't worry about PSS10's etc.........
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Its a great point Dave. The NZ market is particularly unkind to Tipos. In the UK they fair somewhat better.

Its true once you have a lairy ride to get your "purist" thing satiated you no longer feel the need to something quite as uncompromising to sit along side it. Point in case is my GT3, touted as softer than previous generations of GT3 this actually suits me very well. Afterall compared to my 993 every generation of the GT3 has become softer by comparison (watercooled, ESC, TC, PASM, heavier etc). The question becomes one of value for money for DD use. A tipo 997 is probably similar in price from a good 993 Tipo/Targa and although it doesnt have the classic appeal the running costs would be lower and it would likely fulfil the mandate of daily driver in a more accomplished fashion. That said there is nothing quite like using an aircooled car as your daily run about. These last 9 years Ive been using mine for virtually everything and its been alot of fun. Its a very individual choice however...
I'd go a 997 tipo over a 993 tipo for the same money any day as a DD. But the 997 might be still coming down and the engine could explode.
The G series 2.7 head studs, 3.2 top ends, 964 flywheels, dizzy's and leaks, 986/996 IMS, D chunks, porous bores and slipped liners, 987/ 997 scored bores, IMS, oil starving, GT3 consumable wheel hubs! Center locks. Cayenne has many maladies. Panamera is getting a bit of a bad rep too.
Porsche are masters not quite getting it right first time with new tech. It would worry me owning anything other than a new one, a Mezger or an old sorted air sucker. I'm a bit conservative you know.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:36 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Not sure if this link has been posted before, rundown on 996 to 997.2 GT3RS models. Very nice video.
Track Comparison Test - GT3RS Generations | Part 2 - YouTube
That guy is great. Love the honesty, especially about his star sign making him hate on the belt colours!!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:37 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Luke - with high miles - the suspension rubbers will be tired (my were with only 84k on the clock).

If I owned your car (or started again on mine) the first 2 jobs I would do are:

1) replace all the suspension rubbers, drop to RS + 10mm ride height and get a geo
2) Steve Wong chip - makes the car slightly more responsive and was the best improvement IMHO

And that's it..........

I wouldn't worry about PSS10's etc.........
Good advice. Possibly also look at simply refreshing the dampers rather than going to new springs/dampers/coilovers as they'll be well worn by now.

It's not just miles, age ruins components too. That's part of why I don't get people going gaga over low mileage old cars... you're still going to need to refresh a lot of stuff to get it like new if you're going to drive the thing and want to experience what the car is supposed to be like.

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'd go a 997 tipo over a 993 tipo for the same money any day as a DD. But the 997 might be still coming down and the engine could explode.
The G series 2.7 head studs, 3.2 top ends, 964 flywheels, dizzy's and leaks, 986/996 IMS, D chunks, porous bores and slipped liners, 987/ 997 scored bores, IMS, oil starving, GT3 consumable wheel hubs! Center locks. Cayenne has many maladies. Panamera is getting a bit of a bad rep too.
Porsche are masters not quite getting it right first time with new tech. It would worry me owning anything other than a new one, a Mezger or an old sorted air sucker. I'm a bit conservative you know.
The Mezgers have their share of problems too. Water pipes, variocam issues, backing out cam bolts (on 3.8s), ingesting parts of the intake system (3.8s), etc.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Matt, thanks for reminding me about the coolant pipes I enjoyed my commute this morning in the 996TT because traffic was heavy and tiptronic makes it so easy. I'd be more nervous at the track, only having pinned one pipe so far.

Dave, the Golf GTI is a fine car and certainly our MK V has given us great service, but after Donna got hers I couldn't help noticing how many women drive them. Just saying ...
Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Anyone here know of someone with a scissor lift in their garage? I'm loving working on cars and that seems to be the next step.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Matt, thanks for reminding me about the coolant pipes I enjoyed my commute this morning in the 996TT because traffic was heavy and tiptronic makes it so easy. I'd be more nervous at the track, only having pinned one pipe so far.

Dave, the Golf GTI is a fine car and certainly our MK V has given us great service, but after Donna got hers I couldn't help noticing how many women drive them. Just saying ...
Thats a tough call. I'm a sucker for golf GTi's. The mk7 has 350nm of torque.
A Golf R would be a bit more manly but the $75k asking is a bit steep for a hatch. 300 horses though. Something smaller and sporty is calling. A barely used '14 golf GTi is a fantastic buy and in 3 years will still be hanging onto $30k.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I find it strange the Golf GTI is so popular with women, it rides on the hard side and its brakes are like switches. Donna likes the seats, wheels and the red trim. Don't let me put you off.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:47 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjg
Good advice. Possibly also look at simply refreshing the dampers rather than going to new springs/dampers/coilovers as they'll be well worn by now.

It's not just miles, age ruins components too. That's part of why I don't get people going gaga over low mileage old cars... you're still going to need to refresh a lot of stuff to get it like new if you're going to drive the thing and want to experience what the car is supposed to be like.

Yes good point Matt.

In summary the goal is to get the car handling like it did when it left the factory, but with a slightly lowered ride and stance, so it looks cool
Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I find it strange the Golf GTI is so popular with women, it rides on the hard side and its brakes are like switches. Donna likes the seats, wheels and the red trim. Don't let me put you off.
What John is trying to say is "Golf's are chicks cars"
Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What John is trying to say is "Golf's are chicks cars"
I would have thought a Golf Gti would have some standing amongst the good Porsche folk on this forum?
I've never had one myself but the missus did, a mk4 V5 manual which in spite of being in perhaps the most underwhelming chassis of all the golfs to date was an absolute stonker.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

I've never had one myself but the missus did.........

Dave - John rests his case..............

Golf would be a good city car, but personally I'm hooked on A4/S4 wagons, small cars with lots of storage..........
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I would have thought a Golf Gti would have some standing amongst the good Porsche folk on this forum? I've never had one myself but the missus did, a mk4 V5 manual which in spite of being in perhaps the most underwhelming chassis of all the golfs to date was an absolute stonker.
Indeed, Nik is a fan. Peter had one, now with Chris M, and I've driven Donna's. Just yanking your chain.

Btw 2k cup entries opened today. $180 per car. No details yet on the number of races. I will do maintenance, while you lot race and will run Herman in the Regularity Trials, if they will still have me.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?