Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:55 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Yes i've looked at cars in Oz they do seem pricey compared to NZ. Daily emails aren't enough sadly. I rang that last red car within a couple of hours of the ad being placed but the new buyer rang just before me and bought after a test drive the next morning. The seller did 'quite' well out of the deal. Bought a year ago, put 10000 km on it then sold for $10K profit!
Some people may be just lucky or there is perhaps another function I don't know about. Had a particular couch on email alert for 3 years (matching one that I bought in 1991). Finally one came up and I bought it. The questions on the page suggested the person had done very well by turning the couch over in one week. Checked the expired listings and found out that the seller had hit a buy now within 9 minutes of it being listed and then relisted it. It never got sent to me because of that.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Phil, not good. I had the same problem. I would say minimum is SRF and PSM turned off (very important). If the problem still occurs then go for race pads, but they will squeal a lot so you may need to swap them in and out for the track. I use Pagid yellow on the track but they are unbearable on the road.

When I had the problem the pads were fine, it melted a sensor so that would be worth checking.
cheers Chris.
Had a WOF a few weeks ago and the mech stated there was 40% left then, so may be a sensor.
Hell, its only $$..
Why imp to turn off PSM?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM
Some people may be just lucky or there is perhaps another function I don't know about. Had a particular couch on email alert for 3 years (matching one that I bought in 1991). Finally one came up and I bought it. The questions on the page suggested the person had done very well by turning the couch over in one week. Checked the expired listings and found out that the seller had hit a buy now within 9 minutes of it being listed and then relisted it. It never got sent to me because of that.
without trying to jack this thread into a TM one I think they need a "alert me when a new listing is added" feature. I'm a software developer and it can't be that hard. Perhaps i'll hack one up myself...
Old 03-10-2014, 05:53 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
Hey john, after uncles the other night I got this funny red light in the dash..something about brake pad wear..etc
What pads you going for..I know this thread beat this subject to death a while back but I'm too lazy to go look.
I don't need full on track pads as I'm only a part timer (fast tho)
FWIW I run Pagid Yellows (RS19/RS29s) road and track. They do squeal on road but I don't care and I daily drive mine. Actually felt a bit funny when they went silent for for a week or so after the Targa+Puke track day. Got them from Racebrakes, who recommended the quieter Pagid Blues but I wanted the longevity and unburstability of the Yellows. When they eventually expire, I'll likely go Yellow front, Black in back. Blues or OEM Pagid/Textars will likely do you fine if you're not pushing the car for more than a track session at a time.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PHG
cheers Chris.
Had a WOF a few weeks ago and the mech stated there was 40% left then, so may be a sensor.
Hell, its only $$..
Why imp to turn off PSM?
PSM works by automatically applying your brakes (differentially between the 4 wheels, with the e-diff also working by braking the inside rear wheel). 996Ts are fast but also heavy so just the normal braking duties will get them pretty hot. Push hard enough to get PSM engaging often on track as well and your brake temps will go even higher. If I ran longish sessions hard with PSM on, I'd at least want SRF (or reasonably fresh RBF600/RBF660) and maybe some upgraded front brake ducts. I don't like what it does to the handling anyway (it cuts engine power at times) so I run with it off. In the wet I'd likely use it but the brakes would be running cooler then anyway.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Did anyone here purchase the high km UK import 993 manual that was for auction at Manheim?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The reason why the brake squeal on road (when using track pads) decreases after a hard session but returns after a little while, is that the hard session has the pads up to optimal temp and the mixed compound wears evenly as designed. But on road at cold temps the compound doesn't wear evenly - softer elements wear off the surface exposing the harder elements which creates the squeal on the rotor
Old 03-10-2014, 08:05 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Herman now in SITT trim. A little bit concerned how much pressure leakage the wheels/tyres had since the last Playday. I'll need to monitor that closely. I'm taking a spare front and rear tyre in the car as I have no spare rims and can't be pfaffed at this stage arranging it. If someone wants to use the spares as a pool, then they're welcome to pick them up, fit them to a wheel and ship them.

Brake pads look good although still squealing slightly even after using anti squeal pads and brake grease (thanks to Dave lending me some last night at short notice).

Lastly, totaled up the petrol cost of the Pre SITT. $320 for 1,000km. That should give you a ball park what the total fuel bill is going to be.
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Doug and Michael, just realised this meeting room panel at work looks very familiar!
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gt38088
The reason why the brake squeal on road (when using track pads) decreases after a hard session but returns after a little while, is that the hard session has the pads up to optimal temp and the mixed compound wears evenly as designed. But on road at cold temps the compound doesn't wear evenly - softer elements wear off the surface exposing the harder elements which creates the squeal on the rotor
Checked into this squealing before buying my pads. My understanding is almost the same as yours, but just with race brakes only getting hot enough to transfer an even film of pad material to the rotors when run hot during racing. This transferred material helps brake the car by chemical means as well as physical (the transferred material keeps sticking to itself on the pads then letting go as the rotor turns).

Without enough heat to transfer more material to the rotor, street driving soon rubs that layer off and sees the pad material just physically braking against the naked steel of the rotor. Particularly during mild braking, the vibrations that result from this make them squeal.

As I found out during the bedding in process, it is very hard to get them hot enough to remedy this on the street. I did buy a can of anti-squeal once to spray the backs of the pads but Conti's just said it would burn off on the first track day.

I would think that this 'physical wear only' braking mode must result in a somewhat shorter than expected rotor and pad life, but with endurance pads and good but cheap rotors, it doesn't worry me.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS ZWEI
Did anyone here purchase the high km UK import 993 manual that was for auction at Manheim?
Don't think so, you need to find out what it sold for??
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
Doug and Michael, just realised this meeting room panel at work looks very familiar!
Heh, it certainly is
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Don't think so, you need to find out what it sold for??
Na, I just thought it would be an awesome project car for someone on the forum.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Doug your air con is now working again Matt your oil is changed and your coolant lines all pinned up....

Pete my wheels are with dean in wheel bags. I believe Ron is dropping his in tommorow so they are all there ready for pick up...
Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Doug your air con is now working again Matt your oil is changed and your coolant lines all pinned up....
Hey Matt - who pinned your coolant fittings? Looking to get this done sometime on mine too.

Have a great trip south guys - will be thinking of you. Maybe we could embargo all footage until after - got too jealous of Macca on his European run. Nah, bring it on!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?