Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, being a FB Luddite you may not have seen my post there. This is my Jakarta work colleague. He's interested in knowing more about the SC so he can run with the Singer owner there.
Yeah, still haven't joined the FB conspiracy. My life hasn't passed the interesting enough threshold yet.
Does he want to buy one? Drop me his contacts and I'll strike up a convo.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gt38088
sounds good, chuck in a 3.7 kit and some hot cams .......
Great idea but would bump it out of class 2 Enduro (2000 - 3500). Mind you, the Seat Leon's have that space owned - were running 996 GT3 times.

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
I purchased the white Cayman that had an accident at Hampton Downs on Anzac day. 22,000km manual with a few bits such as lsd, upgraded sway bars, lowering springs and Heigo half cage. A bit of damage, but nothing major. Base car is a reasonable spec with PASM and Sport Chrono, but no sport seats, so I need decent seats for when we put in the full MSNZ rollcage.

End game is a Targa (race) and enduro car that's okay for road use, with componentry upgraded to GT4 spec as we go. Car is still coming apart and once that's finished the plan will come together, target being to get it back on the road reasonably quickly and in the first instance replace any parts that are broken with parts orientated towards the end game, eg. control arms, shocks etc.

Lowering springs and Heigo half cage will be available soon!

Looking forward to the NITT with a new toy!
Worth a look at the springs in combo with some 19" wheels - see how harsh it would be without PASM.

Going to enjoy seeing you pioneer this sort of build in NZ. Plenty done offshore so should be a good base of ideas and experience.

Indeed I am. There are insufficient funds to race seriously if I'm ever to semi retire, so I'd still have to be measured about this.

The idea of buying the R was to avoid another road car modifications build. It worked in that I got all of the factory research on a turn key basis in what to me is an as new car. The problem is that I vacillate about what to do with it longer term. It's proven to be a fantastic B road car, so much so I'm probably starting to become a bit annoying on the runs, and it does the DD commute with no issues whatsoever, but what do I do with track etc? Herman has the gear to do it, but will never race and I'm mindful of wear and tear on a 25 year old car. The R is too close to a new car to race and is holding its value worldwide. Perversely, if its value was on the decline I'd be less precious. The answer appears to be a Gen 1 3.4 Cayman build. But how much would I spend to get where I am already?

Chris, all that aside will the Heigo fit a 987.2?
John, I think Doug has it nailed - the R is perfect as is for trackdays - wheels/rubber/fluids and you are sorted. A half cage if you really feel the need. But racing is a whole different thing - you;d need to decide what sort of class to run in - a one off R would probably not fit comfortably anywhere in the NZ scene. Logcal step up from 2kcup would either be Honda Cup or a 944.... (shameless plug for more competitors there!)
Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Im starting to worry about the stability of those Caymans when driven fast aye.
All that comment will do is spur Chris B on to looking for the ideal aero package
Old 05-30-2015, 08:41 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Indeed I am. There are insufficient funds to race seriously if I'm ever to semi retire, so I'd still have to be measured about this.

The idea of buying the R was to avoid another road car modifications build. It worked in that I got all of the factory research on a turn key basis in what to me is an as new car. The problem is that I vacillate about what to do with it longer term. It's proven to be a fantastic B road car, so much so I'm probably starting to become a bit annoying on the runs, and it does the DD commute with no issues whatsoever, but what do I do with track etc? Herman has the gear to do it, but will never race and I'm mindful of wear and tear on a 25 year old car. The R is too close to a new car to race and is holding its value worldwide. Perversely, if its value was on the decline I'd be less precious. The answer appears to be a Gen 1 3.4 Cayman build. But how much would I spend to get where I am already?

Chris, all that aside will the Heigo fit a 987.2?
John. You have what you need now unless you intend to go hard core racing. This won't be a cheap exercise, but I won't count the cost as it won't be helpful and will just distract me from the end game.

If building a race car Cayman you would be best to start with a damaged car like I am as the cost is discounted for all the damaged bits, including air bags, that you would just take out or replace anyway.

I'm not sure about the Heigo cage, at this point I have to confess that I haven't actually seen the car yet!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by peterC2S
All that comment will do is spur Chris B on to looking for the ideal aero package
There is no doubt an aero kit will feature, but that will be a bit further down the track, around the same time as a new engine, or engine mods!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:47 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxem
That's pretty exciting Chris. I guess it is being tended to in Pirongia? Sigh....... You see that Orange thing getting dusty in the corner? It was there first, OK?..........
, small stuff first, shocks and arms etc., along with panel work and some loaned seats to get it road worthy so I can spend some time in it before the next step of a full cage, seats, etc., hopefully all done before the Porsche festival next year. Then the real hot rodding will start next year after the festival. A plan something like that anyway, we know these plans never quite work out as intended though.

Shouldn't impact the orange hotrod!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:50 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Moochier
I was and still am tempted to build an older 986 Boxster S 3.2 into a track/targa car. Hardest part is finding a hard top in NZ. Can get base car for $20 -25k.
Steve may have a base car to start a race car build from, ie. accident damaged Boxster. One of the issues with the Cayman I've bought is that its almost to good for a race car build, but always nice to start on the better side and end up with something tidy.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Yeah, still haven't joined the FB conspiracy. My life hasn't passed the interesting enough threshold yet. Does he want to buy one? Drop me his contacts and I'll strike up a convo.
Yes, he wants to buy one.

BTW this arrived for you. There are two each. You can choose what you want to do with yours. I will put one of mine on the Grinch and save the other for the Festival of Speed

Walter here's yours as well.
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

John. Im wanting to shake you awake! The R is the perfect all use car. Forget the value in the UK. My 991 GT3 would fetch over $300,000 NZD used with 12,000km on it in the UK. In NZ its a depreciating car! Just like your Cayman R I am afraid. More so when used GT4 start hitting the market I suspect. Just use it all up and squeeze every ounce of enjoyment and value from it. Its already proven the perffect B road and DD car and as Doug says all you need is some pads and fluid and some tyres and you can find out how the other half are living down at the pointy end of the stick at the race track. Its not an overly expensive vehicle to have on the track (worth less than a number of 964 & 993 these days) and as long as you are insured all will be well. To worry over its value after you just bought it is nonsense. You can rest assured it aint going to be a problem time soon in the NZ market. If if it were join everyone with an aircooled in this dilemma. Herman is old and never going to be much quicker. Deserves a little holiday like my old girl. The new gear is quick, safe and low cost per track KM. Fun to play with for a while, maybe bring Herman out to play again in a year or two when you are bored tracking the Cayman R. All IMO of course and no offence meant...
No offence taken. I'm trying to make sure I have my thoughts clear. The R has SRF, but needs better pads (OEM Textar now) and tyres. I go to the tire rack site and stop when I see the wheel/tyre package cost. I may just put cups on the Spyder rims. The other option is a local set of 18"in rims and Z221s. Holding me back is that I already have spares for Herman, including Z214 fronts ex Paul. There are only so many tyres and rims I can fit under the house. Then there is the question of insurance, one reason I enjoy the B road runs so much as I'm covered for that.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Im starting to worry about the stability of those Caymans when driven fast aye. On 28 April the Cayman S, 200m in front of me spun in the wet and did all four corners at HD (and will now become Chris B Targa car *****). Then on 17 May the Cayman R behind me on the Targa Tour Bambino did some farming. Last year the CCS Cayman S in front of Chris B on the TT (it was the lead pace car) went off the road into a paddock! Maybe Im attracting the bad cayman JuJU Im a bit worried for when I get the GT4 guys. Seriously! :-)
Your small set of observations are not statistically significant Macca. GT3s are also a real worry and must be very unstable because they keep spinning at HD. Yeah right.

I guess you call this a bite. LOL
Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by O2GO
Your small set of observations are not statistically significant Macca. GT3s are also a real worry and must be very unstable because they keep spinning at HD. Yeah right.

I guess you call this a bite. LOL
LOL! Touche! GT3s ARE unstable - they are hairy assed 911s at the end of the day with the engine hanging out the *** and in the pouring rain on R comps I do believe they spin as I have witnesses (Neil and a few others too)!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 PM
O2GO
Drifting

No offence taken. I'm trying to make sure I have my thoughts clear. The R has SRF, but needs better pads (OEM Textar now) and tyres. I go to the tire rack site and stop when I see the wheel/tyre package cost. I may just put cups on the Spyder rims. The other option is a local set of 18"in rims and Z221s. Holding me back is that I already have spares for Herman, including Z214 fronts ex Paul. There are only so many tyres and rims I can fit under the house. Then there is the question of insurance, one reason I enjoy the B road runs so much as I'm covered for that.
I have exactly the same dilemma with the RS60. 4 sets of wheels for Lola. I have a 17" set of track wheels which fit the RS60 and make her look like a SUV. I think 18" are the way to go. Should have bought Chris M's 18" OZ when I had the chance. Tony has them now for his Cayman
Old 05-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

100% on board with this. The answer is MPSC2 onto the current 19" wheels and keep it simple stupid. I promise you you will never want for another tyres road or track - the MPSC2 is the best across use tyre you can buy. Its not quite as fast as a Z221 on the track but its not far of a MPSS on the road. Ive driven mine from snow to melting track and apart from torrential rain there is little compromise here. The other thing that is really nice is rocking up to the track without the hassle of all teh gear and tyre/wheel swaps and just letting the pressures down a bit and going for it...its so nice when there is less faffing about and more time to catch up with folk between sessions.

As for insurance. Easy. break your lifetime habit and get insured on the Cayman R with Prestigio for the track. Easy peasy and then no worries left. Not sure what's holding you back :-)
Old 05-30-2015, 09:39 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
I have exactly the same dilemma with the RS60. 4 sets of wheels for Lola. I have a 17" set of track wheels which fit the RS60 and make her look like a SUV. I think 18" are the way to go. Should have bought Chris M's 18" OZ when I had the chance. Tony has them now for his Cayman
I have tried that option and Tony's not a seller. Feast or famine in this game. Still I would rather have a track set than run cups to the office for most of their life.

Btw how about July for the East Cape run? The weeks up until the Dunlop 800 will be busy.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:40 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
There is no doubt an aero kit will feature, but that will be a bit further down the track, around the same time as a new engine, or engine mods!

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?