Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:10 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 578 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
Is the 964 done with the track or will they both do limited track time in amongst the Hondas?
I took Herman to the track on Sunday. Very sure footed in the atrocious conditions and unstressed while running 1.32 laps on road tyres. Too much fun to give that away, but there will be no sub 1.20 time attacks in the future. I've been there, done that.

In the future it will be a GT3 at the sharper end of Playday days but still mostly Hondas for racing/track work. The latter give a better bang for buck.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
I think so, the difference between a modern car and a 964 is manageable (can still be driven daily), the 930 may be a step too far for some. I may not be able to drive it quick but I love it, theres always the sense of occasion when in it. The 964 is the perfect modern classic I think. Im back in he market for another, sub 100k but still options. Not sure weather to add another 930, look at the 912. Or look for a 996GT3 or Turbo and sign up for targa tour. John, interesting choice to sell a great DD car in the Turbo then look at a GT3 for the same duties.
Pel. A second 930 is probably only a good option if you are intending to buy for appreciation (i.e. investor) as it offers little in the way of compound driver enjoyment. Decent 912s are thin on the ground and the way to acquire one would be to approach the club members who are holding them. Low mileage 964 manuals are not going to be easy to find especially in C2 config. 996GT3 is a drivers car so perfectly suited for targa and track duties, with the GT3 its all about the engine really, so whilst not a brilliant way to commute in traffic a very satisfying drive on any empty road. Best buying of the lot right now along with manual 996TT I should imagine but with far better medium term appreciation possibilities...
Old 12-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blue one in the story is how I imagined the original Horizon blue of your 3.6, although I see its more of a very light blue silver like the one here: http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/ex-...3-6-s-for-sale

Was it also an option to have the speedline wheels in chrome?

Attachment 895140

Attachment 895141

Last edited by Runtothehills; 02-03-2015 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:59 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
The blue one in the story is how I imagined the original Horizon blue of your 3.6, although I see its more of a very light blue silver like the one here: http://www.ferdinandmagazine.com/ex-...3-6-s-for-sale Was it also an option to have the speedline wheels in chrome?
I won't go into all of the specifics here, but an inspection revealed no accident damage so the assumption is that someone in Singapore couldn't handle the Horizon Blue colour and changed it. I far prefer Polar Silver so have never been concerned. The collector market may have a different opinion.

There were a number of options for the Speedlines but I don't believe chrome was one of them. They are polished aluminum and when in perfect condition are like jewels. About as blingy as Germans could get at the time. A Turbo 3.6 needs these wheels to have full value.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Technically it isn't sold yet, but yes remorse is setting in e.g. I had a weird reaction to receiving the build sheet and finally confirming the numbers. I'd never noticed the vin stamped into the metal above the spare wheel or bothered to check the engine and transmisson numbers. It's bringing out my inner train spotter.

Take away the recolour, some different panel shading and you have one damn fine original car.

PPI on Friday. I may yet escape the option as no one else has done a compression test (Dean said it's obviously making power so didn't see the need). If nothing else I'm building a fine picture of the car.

Need to get some go pro action. Are you around this weekend? You can drive while I film from another car.
Am I around? I'd cancel a night with Scarlett J for a drive Of the turbo. Bloody oath I am.
Do some elevensies for camera?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxem
Do some elevensies for camera?
Yes please!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thought about this Macca? http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/n...ectid=11374992
Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Am I around? I'd cancel a night with Scarlett J for a drive Of the turbo. Bloody oath I am. Do some elevensies for camera?
No elevensies! We need a fine day. Trip around the bays. A few motorway on ramps. Cruising etc. it may be the last footage I get and I have nothing of it on the move in good quality.

We can use the Go Pro for the car shot and I'll work out how to use the video on the 5D Mark II for the high res passing shots etc.

Let's pencil in Sunday as you have cricket on Saturday, right?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

Gutted to miss it, would offer a second go pro if I was in Auckland. But maybe I'll cancel my trip south to take Dave's spot on a date with Scarlett...
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM
RS ZWEI
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel
I think so, the difference between a modern car and a 964 is manageable (can still be driven daily), the 930 may be a step too far for some. I may not be able to drive it quick but I love it, theres always the sense of occasion when in it. The 964 is the perfect modern classic I think. Im back in he market for another, sub 100k but still options. Not sure weather to add another 930, look at the 912. Or look for a 996GT3 or Turbo and sign up for targa tour. John, interesting choice to sell a great DD car in the Turbo then look at a GT3 for the same duties.
I dont see the appeal of 912's. They seem to be riding on the coat tails of pre 73 911's. They look nice, but turn them on and they lose there appeal.
A 912 to me is like a bloke whos had a sex change. The best option in prision, but you wouldnt be seen dead with it in public.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha well said!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by John McM
No elevensies! We need a fine day. Trip around the bays. A few motorway on ramps. Cruising etc. it may be the last footage I get and I have nothing of it on the move in good quality.

We can use the Go Pro for the car shot and I'll work out how to use the video on the 5D Mark II for the high res passing shots etc.

Let's pencil in Sunday as you have cricket on Saturday, right?
Cricket is all over so any time is good
Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by nzskater
Gutted to miss it, would offer a second go pro if I was in Auckland. But maybe I'll cancel my trip south to take Dave's spot on a date with Scarlett...
Didn't say I had a date, just if I did have I'd turn her down. And I'd let you have her in exchange for a night with your turbo. I like Turbo's.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael. Thanks for that link. I knew very little about it other than having watched a youtube link to an Aussie journalist at the PSDS event in Sydney over the weekend. I really would like to have done that event, it would be really valuable as my time in the GT3 points to the fact that its a whole different ball game than the 993 to get the best from. Unfortunately I dont have the qualifications to enter the program. You need level 1-3 already under your belt and I think I may have 1 & 2 tops (2 day Mt Cotton PAG driver training). I really wish PCNZ would advise customers that these types of things exist over the ditch! On a side note Richard and I were I believe the "two customer cars delivered" in NZ mentioned in the article - I'm told we were the only two to take delivery of the car prior to the recall.

Nik, love the 912 analogy. I concur. In my personal opinion the 912 has always been a poor mans 911 and still is. The difference is today you could by a 996 GT3 or 997 TT for less money than a good 912 so relatively speaking I dont think the value is there.

Joh if you need a couple more GoPro you can borrow mine on Sunday.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Macca, are you staying in Torbay?

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?