Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bring payment ($63?) for the banners and collect them on Saturday, John. I've got to pop in to RaceFX and collect an updated extinguisher that complies with the current regs, so I might see you there.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
I'll bring payment ($63?) for the banners and collect them on Saturday, John. I've got to pop in to RaceFX and collect an updated extinguisher that complies with the current regs, so I might see you there.
Yes, I'm supposed to be seeing Andy before scrutineering as well to fit an extinguisher so should see you there. $63 covers the banners. I'll bring them with me. See you on Saturday.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I have done the following so far:

Replace various pieces of broken or old interior trim (door cap ends, ignition rose, center cassette holder, a/c slider buttons)
Fit Carerra decals
Fit RS brake ducts – not plumbed.
Fit Fuchs and Hankooks
Complete engine rebuild [new bearings, rings, valve guides , reface valves and seats, clean heads etc]
Weld pins on planetary gear and crack in planetary gear carrier
New RS clutch, slave cylinder and gear shaft seal
Repair rear diff lock slave actuator
Replace major oil lines and complete flush/ pressure test of oil cooler
Recondition starter motor
Fit spare catalytic converter
Refill hydraulic lines with SRF brake fluid
Lower ride height (as far as possible on current springs) and set up geo for track (no idea what Peter set it to)

The following is on my agenda:

Fit White on Red Rennsport Banner
Fit Euro number plate – no Peter I didn’t go with NOTRBO
Fit rest of trim pieces (numerous trim rubbers etc)
Fit compliant fire extinguisher
Fit Momo Mod 07 steering wheel
Hardwire AIM solo (I’ll use the windscreen mount in the meantime)
Hardwire Valentine V1
Fit Ducktail (Grille fixtures order held up by JMH Billet 3.6 badge)
Plumb in brake ducting hoses
Fit new springs (H&R Greens or Reds) and reset right height and geo
Fit race seat and four point harness using Rennline fixtures
Fit road/track brake pads.
Fit Superpro bushes and likely do other rubber pieces in front suspension e.g. tie rod ends
Repaint 3-piece wheel centers with Red Plastidip
Repaint brake calipers.

When I see that weight is impacting on times more than skill, I'll look to take things like carpets etc out.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John. Looks like a good solid and logical programme to me.

Only a couple of things I would suggest adding to the second list "while in there". Replace engine mounts (if not already done so). The originals will likely be shagged and its a very simple job (maybe 1 hr). Only other suggestion would be to go through the shift rod assembly and insure its all in good fettle. there is a plastic ball cup inside on of the rods which eventually parts itself and could leave you stuck in gear. May be a different assembly on the 964C4 of course.

Replacing the drivers and passenger seats is the bulk of the weight removal from the interior. There is only around 10kg in the rear seat backs and belts/hardware but that is an easy bolt in/out. You could also buy the Applebiz RS door cards on ebay and have these locally upholstered in black vinyl for a low cost door lightening exercise (probably another 10kg or more if you ditch the speakers).

Sounds like you have crested the hill and are definitely on the home slide now!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John. Looks like a good solid and logical programme to me.

Only a couple of things I would suggest adding to the second list "while in there". Replace engine mounts (if not already done so). The originals will likely be shagged and its a very simple job (maybe 1 hr). Only other suggestion would be to go through the shift rod assembly and insure its all in good fettle. there is a plastic ball cup inside on of the rods which eventually parts itself and could leave you stuck in gear. May be a different assembly on the 964C4 of course.

Replacing the drivers and passenger seats is the bulk of the weight removal from the interior. There is only around 10kg in the rear seat backs and belts/hardware but that is an easy bolt in/out. You could also buy the Applebiz RS door cards on ebay and have these locally upholstered in black vinyl for a low cost door lightening exercise (probably another 10kg or more if you ditch the speakers).

Sounds like you have crested the hill and are definitely on the home slide now!
I asked about the engine mounts, the mechanic thought they were ok. I'm more suspicious about the shift rod assembly. I'm going to look at any wear parts on the car now. It will be like new at the rate I'm going, which is good because it's going to be a regular on the track. I'm adding the gymkhana and another regularity trial to the existing schedule. That will have me at HD on six days between now and the NITT - 13/7, 20/7, 10/8, 11/8, 31/8 and 7/9. My car craft should be a lot better by then.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Obsessed
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

John, all sounds great and I can't wait to see your almost factory-fresh car on the 20th!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I asked about the engine mounts, the mechanic thought they were ok. I'm more suspicious about the shift rod assembly. I'm going to look at any wear parts on the car now. It will be like new at the rate I'm going, which is good because it's going to be a regular on the track. I'm adding the gymkhana and another regularity trial to the existing schedule. That will have me at HD on six days between now and the NITT - 13/7, 20/7, 10/8, 11/8, 31/8 and 7/9. My car craft should be a lot better by then.
I'm doing my mounts this weekend. Got some genuine RS ones from FD Motorsports, pretty sure the originals are shagged, I can get a finger and a half in there so they are on their way out at least.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Obsessed
John, all sounds great and I can't wait to see your almost factory-fresh car on the 20th!
Michael, the sad fact is the old girl looks the same as it did when it went in. Can't wait to see the Fuchs on it tomorrow when it's in my garage. Then the Banner goes on.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I'm doing my mounts this weekend. Got some genuine RS ones from FD Motorsports, pretty sure the originals are shagged, I can get a finger and a half in there so they are on their way out at least.
Dave thats guaranteed to be the case after 20 years. If you took that mount out and sat it flat side on the table then sat a new OEM one next to it you would see quite a difference. The factory one has alot of rubber and deforms. The RS one is much better and a good mod...
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
Dave, are you fitting them yourself?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Dave, are you fitting them yourself?
Yes, looks fairly easy, sussed out all the access points underneath last weekend while doing the cup bypass
Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

GSA845 is in the house
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hurrah!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Next Job is to clean the garage. A man's work is never done, but that can wait until Sunday. Tomorrow is track day.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 AM
mjg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Fuchs John!

New wheels arrived, love the "lightness certificate" hanging off the spokes:
Name:  DSC00318.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  237.8 KB

Also grabbed RSS engine mounts, Torque Solution 75A transmission mounts, and a 997 GT3 shifter. That should sort the GT3's vague shifter feeling, if not I'll look at installing the Cup shift cables as well, but trying to avoid that as they transmit a lot of LWFW rattle into the cabin.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?