Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS and it looks great Paul. Fits the dash style beautifully.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I completely agree Paul. I have several head units with all the bells and whistles (integrated ipod inside the unit, bluetooth phone connect)m they sound great but look ghastly. So, is it a matter of hunting on ebay knowing the specs you want and being patient to land one of these? What sort of "investment"?
Bluetooth is the killer app. Premium Spotify allows you to save playlists for offline listening, then stream it through Bluetooth. While not quite the same classic look, it's simple enough to turn off the bling display on my cheapo Sony.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks Good Paul. Its a more modern version than I was expecting...
Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
So, is it a matter of hunting on ebay knowing the specs you want and being patient to land one of these? What sort of "investment"?
Yeah - UK ebay and UK Porsche sites.

Cost - Err don't ask............ (about $1K from a reputable source......)
Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Bluetooth is the killer app. Premium Spotify allows you to save playlists for offline listening, then stream it through Bluetooth. .
What's Spotify John - you need to teach me this (along with how to use my AIM)

Do you guys listen to Podcasts?

I'm looking for good motorsport ones.

The English 'Motor Sport' Magazine does a good Podcast but only monthly. I'm trying to find other F1 podcast etc.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Must say the new age head units mostly look like ghastly lit christmas trees as Doug says.

However Im not happy with compressed music files. My GT3 streams them from my iPhone and sounds like crap. Granted its not a Burmiester but it is is the 235W x 9 speaker upgrade (option "Sound Plus"). I think its even worse with bluetooth compared to the cable. Put a CD in the slot though and it sounds much better. Might just be the stereo but Im finding increasingly Id rather listen to the engine than compressed files (maybe I'm doing something wrong or they are not recorded in lossless or something). Im glad I didnt chuck the CD collection.

Have to say though for home and car audio streaming is much much more convenient....
Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
What's Spotify John - you need to teach me this (along with how to use my AIM) Do you guys listen to Podcasts? I'm looking for good motorsport ones. The English 'Motor Sport' Magazine does a good Podcast but only monthly. I'm trying to find other F1 podcast etc.
Spotify is an app available on Apple. There may be an Android version as well. You stream music through it. The premium version allows you to save streams for playing offline. We have Bluetooth receivers on all our stereos and play music through streaming. I like the playlists. I especially like avoiding the vacant crap on radio. Even George has it's share of waffle.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:41 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Macca - I purchased a Porsche CDR 210 (factory unit as you are aware)............but the sound quality from the CD player was shocking and most of my sounds come from an ipod, as I generally listen to audiobooks and podcasts. You can't convert a CDR 210 to bluetooth and ipod collectivity. I can't do music in MP3 - Pink Floyd etc. just sounds crap when condensed to MP3 format and needs to be a CD for me.

I shall leave the CDR 210 for 50 years time and the concourse queens.........
Attached Images  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
However Im not happy with compressed music files. My GT3 streams them from my iPhone and sounds like crap. ..
Our posts have crossed paths

I recall having this conversation with you. Voice is fine, complex music just sucks in MP3..........
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

John. What is the quality like streaming stuff via Bluetooth? I have some Plinus SA100 monoblocks acting as door stops somewhere in storage (used with a Wadia 1 bit CD player). I obviously need to update but so far Im just disappointed - that being said I did have a Jamo satalite system installed in one of the houses I built here and it sounded pretty dame good (not bluetooth) with ipod doc - good enough we bought another for the next house we built. But like Paul must confess Im a long way behind on the latest tech here...
Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 AM
O2GO
Drifting

I don't know a lot but have experienced bluetooth being pretty dodgy. I suspect you lose the quality in the bluetooth transport. I've got all my music ripped from CD's to Apple iPod format and have a direct usb copper connection between classic 80GB ipods and the head units in all my cars. The result is very good. You also need a good head unit/amp to pump out the music in good quality of course but getting the music from the player into your amp is probably where the quality is being screwed.

Someone here must be an audiophile who knows about this stuff. Macca, can you direct connect your ipod/iphone to your GT3 head unit? I expect it would be much better than bluetooth.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Pcarplayer - you need to run a lesson on car detailing for the RSG lads, very impressed and would like to learn how you do it please...........
I'd be happy to share any info I can.

I wrote a brief how-to wash your car in the concours section if you're interested

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...l#post11621135
Old 09-04-2014, 06:12 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

By the by, Macca, thanks for the heads up about FD Motorsport. I only just saw your post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:18 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Spotify isn't just a smartphone app. They do a desktop app and you can stream directly from the web. They have a free version which is slightly lower quality and the occasional ad - sometimes in the middle of a track. The paid version is by monthly subscription - $12/month

I love it. I listen to a lot of music while i'm working. Luckily my current client doesn't mind us using the bandwidth. I use a USB DAC and a quality set of headphones. The sound is surprisingly good

Bluetooth uses a lossy protocol meaning there is some quality loss during compression in order to fit the available bandwidth. How much depends on the codec used. A direct connection will always be better but is limited by the quality of the rip and the built-in DAC. I dear say in our cars we'd be hard pushed to notice as great degree of difference. However, while the source and amplification is important, speakers are where you should spend your hard-earned
Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Macca - I purchased a Porsche CDR 210 (factory unit as you are aware)............but the sound quality from the CD player was shocking and most of my sounds come from an ipod, as I generally listen to audiobooks and podcasts. You can't convert a CDR 210 to bluetooth and ipod collectivity. I can't do music in MP3 - Pink Floyd etc. just sounds crap when condensed to MP3 format and needs to be a CD for me.

I shall leave the CDR 210 for 50 years time and the concourse queens.........
Cool. We are on the same page then. Ok so compressed files good for podcasts and audiobooks. Mary had a little lamb...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?