Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - we've had great debates about whether 1 car can do it all, and the answer was no (unless you own a late model GT3). Neil may have a different perspective on this given he is a GT3 owner and has just purchased a race car?
Simon Gilbertson sold his 993 RS because it didn't fulfill his needs. Too rough for daily use and too valuable to track. To me the GT3 is far more a daily driving prospect but the cost is still up there for track use.

I suspect Neil had his lucky escape in the back of his mind when he pulled the trigger but I understand he was looking before the near miss. To me his move makes absolute sense. Competitive racing at a fraction of the cost of a GT3 repair. Peter and Chris do the same thing. I've gone yet again cheaper. I want the thrills without the though of financial hits in the back off mind when running close quarters.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Locked and loaded in the Elephantine memory of RSG and Rennlist board and may be used against you at will over the next 6+ months LOL! Im looking forward to hearing about steady Edy & Fungus track outings in the New Year. Infact I name 2015 the year of Fungus. And Steady edy is "the man who rides the Bogey". Fungus and the Bogey Man BB & Fungus :-)
Already sorting through the vast amount of literature out there. Don't think I'll be posting much here about Hondas though. First up is to get rid of the scaffolding around the house, throw the piano out of the garage, then put the VTI-R in there, up on jack stands and drop the engine. Here's hoping this breaks the Pelican parts and Design 911 habit.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:36 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BB doesn't appear to leak. Overnight in heavy rain last night in my driveway. I crawled into work with her in pretty heavy traffic and the temp guage didn't go above about 1/4 with the heater on. Plan is to leave her in my secure coy car park until the garage loses the Cayenne to Jo and Macca for their stay in NZ. Graunching sound from the rear brakes when they're on. Shone my iphone torch in and it looks like we only have about 2-3mm of rear pad left.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
BB doesn't appear to leak. Overnight in heavy rain last night in my driveway. I crawled into work with her in pretty heavy traffic and the temp guage didn't go above about 1/4 with the heater on. Plan is to leave her in my secure coy car park until the garage loses the Cayenne to Jo and Macca for their stay in NZ. Graunching sound from the rear brakes when they're on. Shone my iphone torch in and it looks like we only have about 2-3mm of rear pad left.
Doug, I'll go to Repco and get some rear pads. Can I/we access the car in the week before NITT? I have that week off.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:20 PM
PHG
Racer

Moon Engines are OK Doug
just had all my boat coolers done there
Old 08-31-2014, 07:24 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Correct, I intend to 'own' this car from refurb through to racing. It's not going to see a mechanic - period. Albeit if Jono had been there at HD yesterday it would have been tempting to fall into old habits, give him the key and say 'build me a race car'.

Given time constraints I don't think the car will be on the track before Christmas. When it does appear, it will be sorted and ready to compete.
Well done John
Check back on your posts a year ago, and see the progression of your 'journey'
(sorry for the overused cliché)
Its like a Man of steel emerging from the phone box
fortunately with sensible clothes on
Old 08-31-2014, 07:31 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nzskater
Hadn't seen it, is a great video. Fantastic garage as well!
I covet that garage, sans the table lift - i'd prefer a four post

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Yes - we've had great debates about whether 1 car can do it all, and the answer was no (unless you own a late model GT3).

Neil may have a different perspective on this given he is a GT3 owner and has just purchased a race car?
Agreed. I couldn't use mine as a DD. The trawl through the North Shore morning traffic with a heavy clutch would do my head in. I'd have to start at 6 rather than 7 and that's a bridge too far
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PHG
Well done John Check back on your posts a year ago, and see the progression of your 'journey' (sorry for the overused cliché) Its like a Man of steel emerging from the phone box fortunately with sensible clothes on
Thanks Phil. There needed to be a journey to get to this point as it wasn't an obvious goal to go racing when I returned to NZ in late 2012 and even less obvious that it would be a 21 year old Honda!

I back myself to do any mechanics on the car. I'll be slow, but my charge out rate is very economical
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a smart move IMO John. If I couldn't race a 911 as Ive said before Id be looking at one make series and if there was nothing there that took my fancy I think the 2K up is perfect. Its down and dirty racing with less at stake and I suspect if you can mix it up there with confidence you can mix it up anywhere. Infact more I think about it more I reckon thats the logical progression is carts werent in your childhood. Looking forward to 2015 racing season with our boys in Porsche Series and now in 2K Cup series too - going to be a big year!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, I have to give up my spot in BB on the 4th october thanks to a company weekend away. Was anyone on the waiting list to get another fang in that black beast?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,
No rush but my 964 will be going on TM in the near future. I absolutely love the car but after attempting a road trip up North with my dog in the back, its not going to work (the car deserves better than this). Sadly I need to go down the M3 or C63 track. Not sure on where to price as shes done 205kms but has a full top and bottom rebuild about 40kms ago by Motorscience. If you know of anyone looking for a NZ New 4 owner White C4 drop me a PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Simon Gilbertson sold his 993 RS because it didn't fulfill his needs. Too rough for daily use and too valuable to track. To me the GT3 is far more a daily driving prospect but the cost is still up there for track use.

I suspect Neil had his lucky escape in the back of his mind when he pulled the trigger but I understand he was looking before the near miss. To me his move makes absolute sense. Competitive racing at a fraction of the cost of a GT3 repair. Peter and Chris do the same thing. I've gone yet again cheaper. I want the thrills without the though of financial hits in the back off mind when running close quarters.
If you are insured on the track then the "to valuable to track" issue is somewhat mitigated. For someone like Simon or an older aircooled owner it then becomes "to difficult to replace".

Apart from PCNZ Sprints the majority of RSG members are insured for any "incidents" they have on the track. John may be one of the few exceptions.

As for Neil, I wont put words in his mouth but I suspect the desire to "race" as opposed to "circulate" (what we do at RSG days) may have been the pivot point. No one takes a new GT3 to the Porsche Series as its simply not competitive in its class out of the box and if you make it so you are missing the point as Porsche make the Cup car which better suits that need and budget...
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
Hi guys, I have to give up my spot in BB on the 4th october thanks to a company weekend away. Was anyone on the waiting list to get another fang in that black beast?
Sam, there's likely to be someone looking for a go, maybe Chris M? If not some of the others may like more than 2 sessions. We'll work it out. The track dates are thin on the ground after that day so times will stay for a while for all to see. I want to make sure I'm progressing to the top half of the board. It's lonely where I am now.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pel
Hi Guys, No rush but my 964 will be going on TM in the near future. I absolutely love the car but after attempting a road trip up North with my dog in the back, its not going to work (the car deserves better than this). Sadly I need to go down the M3 or C63 track. Not sure on where to price as shes done 205kms but has a full top and bottom rebuild about 40kms ago by Motorscience. If you know of anyone looking for a NZ New 4 owner White C4 drop me a PM.
Pel, I was thinking of you over the weekend as I copied trip videos to a hard drive and saw the pics from the start of the journey north.

Pricing has never been easy and even less so now with the offshore prices moving. Put it at $30k and you will sell it in one day. Put it at $45k and it will sit for a year. Some where in the middle is likely a fair price.

Like it or not, only those of us who have stumped up for an engine rebuild know its cost and theoretical value, but 40,000 km would see a lot of that additional value diminished or used up.

Narrow the range down and and I'd say a well maintained tight driver = $40k for 205km. A few things to do could shift that to $35k.

If you want the best price do the legwork for the enthusiast. Peter can do a presale assessment pointing out its condition. Sure a buyer may well want to do their own one as well, but an informed market gives the best chance of a quick sale at a fair price. Let it languish and people think it mins have something wrong. Just my 2 c.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
peterC2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't think I'll be posting much here about Hondas though.
Don't worry John, we'll come over and visit you at NZ Hondas...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?