Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

heck Im not sure this data is even accurate or what it means if anything (it may simply not be relevant). Someone like Matt might know. Yellow box is a random session from 4 in the 993 and red box is the only 991 GT3 session.

Dont sure there is anything meaningful here...
Attached Images   
Old 09-03-2014, 06:28 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yum, yum. new pink bits

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think he did say manual not pdk to me. I cant see how it can be less than 400 using that motor. X51 would be nice
Old 09-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
When does Ron get his?
October production December delivery I think. Unfortunately too late for SI Targa Tour, but Richard will have his with Douggie riding shotgun...
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
I think he did say manual not pdk to me. I cant see how it can be less than 400 using that motor. X51 would be nice
The mule at the Ring that Michelin were working on was PDK. I believe they will offer manual as well.

They will make the engine under 4000 bhp by strangling the ECU if they wish it to fit within their brand hierarchy (i.e. should it threaten the 991S). Expect to see something around 385 bhp although 400 bhp would be real nice and seal the deal with many of us. I would add one piece 918 type CF buckets as are about to be released on 991 GT3 in US from December (also expected as standard on new 991 GT3RS but in nomex not leather). I think a 385-400 bhp Cayman with a bigger brake set and lower more sporty suspension weighing in around 1350kg (*** Akropovic exhaust for a bit of weight reduction and enhanced sound) would be a great car for track and targa and more modest outlay too...I (personal opinion) think they will go with Cayman R nomenclature and save the GT4 moniker for their four pot bangers.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
heck Im not sure this data is even accurate or what it means if anything (it may simply not be relevant). Someone like Matt might know. Yellow box is a random session from 4 in the 993 and red box is the only 991 GT3 session.

Dont sure there is anything meaningful here...
Matt may have a better explanation but I was first surprised that the 993 pulled a much higher peak acceleration, before realising that it probably reflected the pop of a power shift, whereas the 991 is maybe engineered to upshift smoothly as well as blipping the downshifts.

While the peak lateral G is similar, I suspect the GT3 with its 4WS etc should show smoother G traces than the 993.

The braking similarities aren't too surprising. Apparently, provided it is the same pad friction material then bigger brakes don't theoretically slow you any quicker but they do cool down faster so will outlast smaller ones if brake cooling is an issue. Haven't seen it pointed out anywhere, but to my mind larger rotors should give you smoother more controllable braking too - thanks to the lower pad pressure averaging over a bigger contact area and due to bigger diameter disks allowing greater leverage as the swept area is further out from the wheel's axis. Kind of like steering your car with the factory steering wheel gives you more control than would using a 15-20cm diameter one from a kids toy.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
yum, yum. new pink bits .
Nice one. I did that with the Turbo 3.6 back in 2001. They still look brand new. Keep yours out of the sun and they will do the same for you.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Should be tunable then if hp is held back by ecu and/or inlet
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pcarplayer - you need to run a lesson on car detailing for the RSG lads, very impressed and would like to learn how you do it please...........
Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John McM

Nice one. I did that with the Turbo 3.6 back in 2001. They still look brand new. Keep yours out of the sun and they will do the same for you.
It's one if my favourite parts on the car. The old ones weren't too bad but now that I have new parts it makes quite a difference and completes the rear.

That said I wouldn't mind removing the rear wiper. I seen the bungs documented on RL but has anyone here done it?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
It's one if my favourite parts on the car. The old ones weren't too bad but now that I have new parts it makes quite a difference and completes the rear. That said I wouldn't mind removing the rear wiper. I seen the bungs documented on RL but has anyone here done it?
I took mine out for the South Island Tour. I just put a sticker over the hole. I later found it was
useful for commuting so I put it back on. I recall some bungs are better than others. There was a very nice aluminum one that screwed together. Personally I won't bother again.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
While the peak lateral G is similar, I suspect the GT3 with its 4WS etc should show smoother G traces than the 993.

The braking similarities aren't too surprising. Apparently, provided it is the same pad friction material then bigger brakes don't theoretically slow you any quicker but they do cool down faster so will outlast smaller ones if brake cooling is an issue. Haven't seen it pointed out anywhere, but to my mind larger rotors should give you smoother more controllable braking too - thanks to the lower pad pressure averaging over a bigger contact area and due to bigger diameter disks allowing greater leverage as the swept area is further out from the wheel's axis. Kind of like steering your car with the factory steering wheel gives you more control than would using a 15-20cm diameter one from a kids toy.
Great observations Walter.

Here are the traces from the best laps from those two random sessions. Indeed the GT3 trace is far smoother.

Unfortunately pulling data from random sessions is a bit misleading, but eye-balling all data tells me you are on to something. The 991 GT3 doesnt need to scrub off as much speed to make a corner so peak deceleration isnt as strong as one would have expected. Likewise the dual clutch makes for a very fast and smooth upshift as the trace reflects and lastly the chassis allows a completely different slip angle on the GT3 which doesn't build up as much peak lateral G as one might imagine to conquer a corner quickly. Its deceiving as between those two traces attached is approx 3.5s for the lap difference...

Your point on the brakes is a good one. If you add weight into the equation I suspect the new brakes/pads on the 993 are as good as the GT3 or at least very close. There is over 100kg difference between the two cars - the GT3 has stock everything including pads & fluid from the factory whereas the 993 has SFR and Endless pads.

Im about to order some endless pads for the GT3 and some of their SFR equivalent fluid, so maybe future comparisons will be more meaningful...
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt38088
Should be tunable then if hp is held back by ecu and/or inlet
Yip. Here is hoping!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Pcarplayer - you need to run a lesson on car detailing for the RSG lads, very impressed and would like to learn how you do it please...........
Paul. Is this an attempt to convince us you are over driving 911s on the track and fast road and now retiring into Concourse Competitions? Remind me to buy you a Cardigan for your 40th mate!

P.S. If you wish to learn how to do it get on line and research one of the many step by step guides on professionally detailing. It takes alot of time and a huge amount of effort and perseverance and patience.

When you are finished learning that Paul Im pretty sure we will all welcome you to clean our 911s after NITT duties :-)

Pcarplayer. As always your car is stunning. Im a Virgo and my 993 looked like that for the first 10 years I owned it. I understand the work you have put into it...just dont become too afriad to drive it and make it all dirty again
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM
O2GO
Drifting

Lola progress update and question...

I've got pricing on the list of parts needed from CCS, Design911 (uk), FDMotorsports (usa) and Steve is working through finding the best panels and parts he has and pricing them up for me. I won't be sharing this data publically.

I've stripped off the front bumper to allow a closer look at the front slam plate and aircon radiator and fan and to allow the left hand wheel to turn directionally without hitting the bumper which was pushed back i to the wheel.

The only non-panel damage we appear to have so far is:
Busted RH wishbone - 2nd hand replacement on its way from Steve with new poly bushes, new bolts, and new ball joint so I can get her back on 4 wheels to make moving her around easier
Oil cooler radiator ripped by the fan blade and the plastic fan housing smashed. Replacement cooler and new fan housing required.
Aircon fan housing leg fractured. Will plastic weld as minor and easily repaired.
Steering has a very slight rough patch on the right hand end of the rack. Off to local firm who refirb them to see if they can fix it, otherwise replacement.
Aluminium bumper reinforcement bent.
Momo steering wheel bent slightly- I must have been holding on pretty hard!

that's all the non panel damage we have found do far.

What I'm wondering about is whether to blog about it on here. I'm in three minds over it.
1 I like to share and it may be interesting for some to follow
2 If I ever sell it, theres details about how it has been in an accident that are online. Positive, it's minor damage.
3 Negative "holy ****, it's been pranged"

So I thought I'd put it out there and ask the question and see what you guys reckon....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?