Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015 | 12:45 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 964X33
Yep - just as Macca picked it a while back. Hopefully won't cut down casual and track day access as much as feared, but certainly not likel to help it. Was going to say that if we're really lucky Tony could throw some lights on the circuit and extend its hours (at least in winter) but with the apartments there I'm not sure that idea has any legs.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:50 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
I'm talking about a 996 Cup Car, which circulate in around 1.09, so would be running at about 7/10th's to do 1.13-14's
Reckon your 7 tenths is most peoples 9 Paul, if it's only 4 to 5 secs a lap off a pro's times in their properly dialled in comparable car. So that whole "7 tenths - yeah right!" thing after you promised to keep your 993 to 7/10ths back in the thread works out actually.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:53 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxem
I gotta get a chip now.
But more seriously, and not likely any time soon, I'd like to look at this sort of system to replace the barn door AFM and liberate some horses. 231bhp plenty for now though.
The world must be moving fast now and instead of labouring with expensive OEM air / fuel / spark systems and parts to keep these old girls running, not least the dollars spent chasing faults, there must be more and more fringe aftermarket control systems that enable the dumb (but robust) mechanical parts to keep on turning, and make more power.
Dave - with a new engine rebuild and old school pre-emissions exhaust, I think you would have around 250HP all day long.

A Dansk muffler and SSI's are known liberate around 20HP on CSI engines and I can attest to noticing a big difference on the C3, so would imagine the Razzo special would do similar?? A chip would have to put you over 250 HP for sure - I think the Steve Wong chips are good for 10-17 HP in a 3.2. They also lift the redline from 6,500 to 6,800 RPM.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:54 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Yep - just as Macca picked it a while back. Hopefully won't cut down casual and track day access as much as feared, but certainly not likel to help it. Was going to say that if we're really lucky Tony could throw some lights on the circuit and extend its hours (at least in winter) but with the apartments there I'm not sure that idea has any legs.
I will attend. If there is a possibility of a company type membership I'm interested. I'm struggling to get to Playday dates with my work schedule so a more open style track time for members appeals as does sharing the cost so others can use the times I can't get there.
Old 12-14-2015 | 12:56 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Mine always cord on the inside too, at least when they don't die from internal sidewall delamination (pays not to spin in the dry) or chunking first. Reckon cording inside is just the car's way of saying it wants more track time. Right now my rears have perfectly even wear, but that is largely thanks to hammering them properly on Targa Tour.
Mine have worn much more aggressively on the inside edge of the left side, so blaming HD. My assumption is that the tire is slipping too soon due to too many heat cycles. Left tyres are definitely starting to chunk a fair bit - cord is showing where it has started to tear apart more than evenly wear through. Considering myself lucky that it didn't disintegrate given the state it was in on my final session (which was also the the one I set my PB time).

On that note I will have 1 spare near new MPSS 305/30/19 (had to replace one recently due to a puncture), one careful owner, only tracked at the speed limit, never heat cycled Will hold on to it for emergencies, free to a good home if anyone here gets caught out and the size suits.

RSG group GT membership at HD... Looks like an old shot of Ron in the news article.
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:24 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^ The fun is going with all your mates (the RSG) - going to the track by yourself and circulating with no mates is a bit boring.
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:31 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Completely agree Paul. If it hadn't been for the group I wouldn't likely be out there. You're a good bunch, even when you're rambling on here about the shape of headlights and the long lost BHP you've recently discovered under the house

Looking forward to a great summer of driving, recently kicked off with last weekends track day and topped off by the SITT. Bring it on!
Old 12-14-2015 | 01:59 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Dave - with a new engine rebuild and old school pre-emissions exhaust, I think you would have around 250HP all day long.

A Dansk muffler and SSI's are known liberate around 20HP on CSI engines and I can attest to noticing a big difference on the C3, so would imagine the Razzo special would do similar?? A chip would have to put you over 250 HP for sure - I think the Steve Wong chips are good for 10-17 HP in a 3.2. They also lift the redline from 6,500 to 6,800 RPM.
When it's all done I will get it dyno'd and weighed.
Last time out it could lineball a 964 on the straights and that was shifting at 5500, and short shifting on the main straight out of sympathy (whether it needed it or not). It should have the legs on 964's and 993's in terms of power to weight ratio but that doesn't mean much and maybe not achievable unless the full package is up to it (brakes, tyres, driver, set up). The car weighs about 1015 now but a bit more will go in so say 1050. I don't think it will ever be a 1.17 car with me in it but maybe someone else could crack that. Skinny 205's could be the limiting factor and I don't think NB early cars can take more.
I'm only really interested in its ultimate capability rather than aiming for a number myself.
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:04 AM
Maxem
Drifting

First goal will be to keep up with the 964's, if I can do that at the next session I'll be happy enough
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Maxem
First goal will be to keep up with the 964's, if I can do that at the next session I'll be happy enough
You were keeping up with me in straight line drag race from the sweeper to the main straight so think you've already got this nailed when you can use your full rev range.

That is until Herman the monster comes into your rear vision mirror.

It will be interesting for me to do the same with John. When we last did this we were dead equal on acceleration (Highlands) but that was before the flash new computer and now a fast changing box and improved exhaust.
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:49 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
I will attend. If there is a possibility of a company type membership I'm interested. I'm struggling to get to Playday dates with my work schedule so a more open style track time for members appeals as does sharing the cost so others can use the times I can't get there.
Peter and I have discussed this at length. Highly unlikely there will be any form of fractional membership. Tony too clever for that. 5k discounted non refundable one off signing fee for first 50 members (usually 10k), 5k a year fees, 50 track slots a year (if similar to Highlands will be week day afternoon fixtures some evenings in summer likely 2-4 hrs track will be open each fixture), 200 memberships. Access to club rooms etc. unknown if track access will be full circuit or club circuit etc. I guess we will know more on 19th. Much of above supposition/rumour but by way of example...
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:54 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O2GO
You were keeping up with me in straight line drag race from the sweeper to the main straight so think you've already got this nailed when you can use your full rev range. That is until Herman the monster comes into your rear vision mirror. It will be interesting for me to do the same with John. When we last did this we were dead equal on acceleration (Highlands) but that was before the flash new computer and now a fast changing box and improved exhaust.
If it's any consolation I can't get more than a car length or so on a 964 up that straight so it's not a particularly strong indicator of lap times. It's all about the corners (and exiting them) I suspect. Whatever Steves longHood RS rep is capable of there I should think Daves car is capable of but it may need someone like Steve to actually put in a time like that as I suspect the rest of us would be 1s slower like for like car and lap..,,
Old 12-14-2015 | 03:09 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macca
Peter and I have discussed this at length. Highly unlikely there will be any form of fractional membership. Tony too clever for that. 5k discounted non refundable one off signing fee for first 50 members (usually 10k), 5k a year fees, 50 track slots a year (if similar to Highlands will be week day afternoon fixtures some evenings in summer likely 2-4 hrs track will be open each fixture), 200 memberships. Access to club rooms etc. unknown if track access will be full circuit or club circuit etc. I guess we will know more on 19th. Much of above supposition/rumour but by way of example...
Something to aspire to.
Just need time and money, neither of which come easy.
Old 12-14-2015 | 03:16 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2015 | 03:46 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Macca
I think those numbers would finish my track days.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?