Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by sp1ked
That's a good option John. I've decided to go down the fast road car route and stay as close to the spirit of the 2kcup as I can. For me it's about getting as much seat time as I can in an affordable manner. Times for the 205 GTI's have been high 24's at HD and they are thinking they might hit 22's this season with a freshen up. Be interesting to see what they would do with some decent rubber. Guys are definitely putting effort in the 2k cars now. 80+ entries for this coming season too. Macca it's definitely a 1.9 in Graphite Grey
That would be the same engine as the 1988 405Sri I had, way back in the day. It seemed like a reasonable unit on the bigger car so would be great in the 205.

Are you actually going to race in the 2k Cup?
Old 07-31-2014, 06:59 AM
964X33
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the deadline for deliveries for the container deal?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
What is the deadline for deliveries for the container deal?

Key dates
Deadline for Buying: Monday: 11 August 2014
Shipment ex LA to Wgtn: Thursday: 22 August 2014
Arrival in Wellington: Friday: 5 September 2014
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just watched the final episode ever of Californication.

One of my all time favourate programmes and about the only contemporary programme I can think of where a car (964/991 cab) plays a staring role.

Interesting the closing shot is of the Porsche.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:53 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Refurbed and darkened street wheels (still playing with exact color). Will have the use of a set of track wheels for NITT thanks to Chris (and Steve). Excited to try some track rubber.
Be interested in who you are getting to do the refinishing. Few small nicks in mine that grate on me (whenever I clean the car...).

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Just watched the final episode ever of Californication. One of my all time favourate programmes and about the only contemporary programme I can think of where a car (964/991 cab) plays a staring role. Interesting the closing shot is of the Porsche.
Great show. Don't watch TV all that often but made the effort for this. Girlfriend looked at me sideways when I bought the 911, and referred to it as the Moody car for a while. She soon realised it only attracts kids and car geeks in real life and stopped acting suspicious!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...patent-photos/

Bad (big) assed.

Massive aero (reputedly more downforce than 918 as confirmed by sidewall ratings of the new tyres 20"/21" F/R). Very track focussed and rumour has it we may see a GTR beating Ring Time with the car (academic). Price likely to be "significantly" more than base GT3.

I still have an early allocation if anyone is interested ;-)
Attached Images    
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I need a DD but looking a the material on rs makes you wonder. Its definitely a bad habit. I suppose it will have a front lift option
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yes it will need lift mandatory I should think.

Those in the know estimate around 300kg more downforce at speed than 991 GT3 which will be the clue to it getting 10s improved ring times. The front vents plus rear fender vents and exit points lower rear valence point to very well designed ground effects first time ever on a RS. The manufacturer leaked the tyre spec and would seem sidewall ratings through the roof (more even than the 918). The unfortunate trade off for NZ/UK roads will be high spring rates. Ive already had (passenger) seat time in 997.2 GT3RS on NZ B roads (Jasons car) and that thing hops, skips, tramlines and grinds out at least 2-3 time son a typical Rons run and is very firm. Looking at 50% increase ins spring rates could make this RS almost un-drivable at pace on NZ dirty broken B roads - however it will be a weapon at the track and on larger Euro/US roads. The aero enhancements and wider 265/325 rubber on larger diameter rear driven wheel rims (larger OD) will increase tyre patch considerable;y with elevated downforce and it should make some remarkable progress in the right hands on longer faster courses....rumour has it around 30-40% premium over GT3 this time around (not typical 20% as quotes in the article) means circa $350K NZD ticket price...well above my pay grade!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That looks like a proper weapon.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah wow
Old 07-31-2014, 11:03 PM
mjg
Pro

You won't see ground effect aero at road car ride heights. There's also no rear diffuser. And you'd use a third spring to control pitch rather than high spring rates on the ride springs. Wing is also still attached to the decklid rather than the body, so that puts an upper bound on the downforce load.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Yeah. Ground affects was wrong choice of wording. The estimate is 600lb+ of additional down force created from wing and the venturi effect through the front and rear fender/bumper vents and exits.

I'm not an engineer so cant comment on how you would accommodate the additional down force via the suspension, however Petervb one of the more knowledgeable Rennlisters (engineer by trade) has calculated the estimated down-force increase from the tech specs released by Michelin on the new tyres for the RS and speculates that the primary spring rates will need to be increased front and rear for this car. I guess we will know for certain in 8 weeks time. Interestingly it would seem the Minichamps 1/43 991 GT3RS model "accidental release" a month or two back was spot on with the aesthetics.

From what Ive read and been told this is my take on it:

4.0L 525 bhp 335 lbft
1420kg
PDK-S only with altered ratios
RWS
Composite roof and hood.
Vmax = same as GT3
0-100 = 3.2s
Ring time = 7.15
Price NZ = approx $345K RRP base
Revised suspension, geo and tyres
Standard = steel brakes, half cage, nomex one piece bucket seats, a/c, Radio, simpler door cards, plastic rear window, 6 pt harness, extinguisher, battery cut off switch...

Last edited by Macca; 07-31-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 AM
KiwiSean
Pro

I'm hoping you guys can help me out. If you know anyone in commercial real estate or IT, PM me. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^ I'm deciding whether I like the vent grilles behind the front wheel arches.

I'm liking the creases in the bonnet and bubbles in the roof, it will need to be a lighter colour to not loose all the detailing.

I like that it's not retro 73 RS with 'Carrera' or 'GT3 RS' Graphics down the side - the car is soo aggressive - these would make it OTT.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^^^ I'm deciding whether I like the vent grilles behind the front wheel arches.

I'm liking the creases in the bonnet and bubbles in the roof, it will need to be a lighter colour to not loose all the detailing.

I like that it's not retro 73 RS with 'Carrera' or 'GT3 RS' Graphics down the side - the car is soo aggressive - these would make it OTT.
Im agreeing with you. The launch colour is supposed to be a new orange (Burnt Orange?). Might look better in that than silver in teh leaked patent pictures.

The problem with the lighter colours I feel is that it may start to look a bit busy with the black trim (rear fender vent liners, front fender upper grill vent, lower front spoiler, rear bumper trim etc). A black car would hide this but as you say loose the detail of the roof and hood creases a little.

Im also finding the rear view underwhelming. the rear aero air vent exit points look a bit unresolved and the the rear fenders being the turbo type are wider and flatter on top looking the lovely coke bottle shape and curve of the original 911 design. Im also not at all convinced the front needed wider fender from a purely aesthetic point of view. The rear spoiler meets expectations for an RS variant and Im glad we are not seeing leery graphics. Its good they kept the 991 GT3 wheel design which is gorgeous IMO, but a shame the rear wheel has gone to 21" from a tyre cost/availability/choice POV.

I guess I was never the target market for this car (its valued well over the Prestigio max cover for the track so will take a well heeled punter to buy one and thrash it mercilessly as a track day weapon). That being said not feeling at all short changed with the cooking version either, especially at considerably less outlay! That being said I can only imagine how quick this car would be at the track! It will also no doubt look 100% better in the flesh than any pictures.

Here's a comparison with some pictures I took on the fly of my base GT3 outside a supermarket before I left...not the same angles unfortunately although Im sure I must have some on file from Europe - but you can get the idea....
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?