Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching the one news weather it looks like it will be very wet in the morning but damp to dry in the afternoon. Can't fit in 2 sets of wheels so I'll leave the R888s on. They're pretty good in the wet anyway.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:10 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky I wimped out and went roadies.

It was meant to p*ss down today but didn't,

I have changed my group to 'mix it' with you and John, as I imagine I will be in the the 1.19/20's on Macca's old tires.

Last edited by kiwi 911; 08-02-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Fair call Macca, why don't we just substitute Tony for you? We may get her to Taupo, but that's a long shot.
John, That would be nice if you could do that. Tony can put the money into RSG a/c and it can sit as a credit for me on the account if that's ok with everyone else?

Even if BB makes Taupo John, I have double sessions booked (fast and slow RSG group for 993 and GT3) at both Taupo & Manfield so to be perfectly honest I probably wouldn't substitute precious track time in either of my cars for a lap in BB in reality - Im actually wondering if Im being a bit ambitious already - but reality is Im trying to make the 2 tracks in NITT into 4 track days as I wont be returning to the track until NITT 2015 due to travel (unless there is a playday date in Jan or May next year when Im back for the Targa).

Sorry about that. Probably git a bit optimistic! Im sure Tony will enjoy it tho...

John. Looking forward to your footage on NITT! Also I concur with your re Highlands. Too much concrete too seems to be a common complaint from the racers there!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Macca,

It's only an inch away from Carrera details - has the wheels and spoiler tips.

I think your car looks more classy.

OK - starting to like the front wheels vents - but the Turbo body rear haunches need some more time with my eyes.
Thanks Paul. I agree. By the way that picture you posted is a photo shop(you will note on the static shots its wearing 19" 997.2 GT3 wheels) - but a pretty realistic one I believe, maybe a wee bit out on proportion. Its the messy application of all the black detailing I dont like, the use of the extended front rubber chin spoiler up the front and rear bumper sides to make up the extra fender width and the air vents in the fenders dont sit so well as a GT3 design cue. However Im sure it will look super aggressive an magic in the flesh!

The RE11s should be fine for 1.18-1.19 Paul on dryish surfaces. You put a 1.20 in on my 993 on them when they were way too hot back in March 2013 before the suspension was improved. Just remember the fronts arent nearly as sticky as what you are used too and they get hot much quicker so would be best to run them a bit lower going out (maybe 24 to start).

Good luck for tomorrow guys. This is one event I am jealous of missing. I will definitely try and participate in any sprint events that coincide with my being in NZ next year. Make sure you keep us all updated on here with pictures, commentary and the results sheets at the end of the day...I havent owned a TV for a decade now so this is as close to good Sunday "live motorsport" entertainment as I get LOL!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Just spending quality time with the missus (having worked all day today and going to the track tomorrow), anyway, just watching a crappy comedy called 'Imogene' and had to share this scene with you - I almost spat my cupa tea out.............

Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Ha ha
Old 08-02-2014, 05:48 AM
Ralf G
Instructor

ROFL
Old 08-02-2014, 07:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Lucky I wimped out and went roadies. It was meant to p*ss down today but didn't, I have changed my group to 'mix it' with you and John, as I imagine I will be in the the 1.19/20's on Macca's old tires.
Dang, guests have gone home, now I have to decide whether to change tyres, at 10:00pm.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
John, That would be nice if you could do that. Tony can put the money into RSG a/c and it can sit as a credit for me on the account if that's ok with everyone else? Even if BB makes Taupo John, I have double sessions booked (fast and slow RSG group for 993 and GT3) at both Taupo & Manfield so to be perfectly honest I probably wouldn't substitute precious track time in either of my cars for a lap in BB in reality - Im actually wondering if Im being a bit ambitious already - but reality is Im trying to make the 2 tracks in NITT into 4 track days as I wont be returning to the track until NITT 2015 due to travel (unless there is a playday date in Jan or May next year when Im back for the Targa). Sorry about that. Probably git a bit optimistic! Im sure Tony will enjoy it tho... John. Looking forward to your footage on NITT! Also I concur with your re Highlands. Too much concrete too seems to be a common complaint from the racers there!
Macca, in my opinion, yes, you are too ambitious. Half the fun is pfaffing around and talking P crap between sessions. You will have a complicated time running two cars, no time to socialize and will be tired. Bring the 991, let Jo have some time with the girls and leave the 993 for another day.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - great stuff Chris and Pete. Good to see you making the most of the better than expected weather.

Originally Posted by Maxem
Probably should look at the oil at some stage and it's just water in the rad, no antifreeze but the cooling doesn't seem to be an issue...
Pure water is a more efficient coolant as it can carry more heat away (provided it is kept pressurised to stop it boiling), but just doesn't protect the block. Actually dropped in at Contis today on our way to the Wynyard quarter and asked them to drop my antifreeze from 50% to 25% when they refill it this time.

Paul and John - thanks for sharing those vids. It almost looked you were going to catch it again after that 360 Matt.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Just spending quality time with the missus (having worked all day today and going to the track tomorrow), anyway, just watching a crappy comedy called 'Imogene' and had to share this scene with you - I almost spat my cupa tea out.............

Sir, it's a boxster - YouTube
haha, too funny
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
Watching the one news weather it looks like it will be very wet in the morning but damp to dry in the afternoon. Can't fit in 2 sets of wheels so I'll leave the R888s on. They're pretty good in the wet anyway.
Just fitted the Z221s. After today's experience, if it's truly wet we won't be going ballistic no matter what tyres are on the car. If it's dry, track tyres will make the difference. At least that is my rationalisation
Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 PM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM
Macca, in my opinion, yes, you are too ambitious. Half the fun is pfaffing around and talking P crap between sessions. You will have a complicated time running two cars, no time to socialize and will be tired. Bring the 991, let Jo have some time with the girls and leave the 993 for another day.
Good advice.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck today boys, I might come out for a look if I get bored and the weather comes right. Todays job is to finish another Fuch.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Good advice.
Yeah, it probably is but I'm organised, committed, fully paid up now and it's just over four weeks away. If I get tired or lonely driving my cars on laps then I'll skip a few sessions here and there - but I want to have the choice to do so. I know for many this is more a social event than a driving one but for me these things (at least today) are more about the driving. Time is the factor and we are flying in especially to take part. Once I have 1-2000 laps under my belt like many other RSGers I will feel a bit more relaxed....

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?