Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:49 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Lasted good, my only drive was back to the garage though and felt as ropey as ever. I am sure it had less dings at the start of the day.
I think she has to stay exactly as is, and when replacement tyres / brakes are needed they are the same. There is little point in making her faster, might as well roll out the Porsche if you want that.

We had Neil pay up and join the group today for a few extra funds.

We'll have to be a bit smarter about how we run.
We had her in with the RSG but I had trouble getting any punters as you had to give up a Porsche session. Paul got us in the slow group of cars so we could still run our cars then BB in the off sessions. That worked good.
Maybe one entry in the normal group from now.
I filled it up at the end so will look to recover these costs maybe through RSG if Pete doesn't mind.
$62 gas for 5 sessions so we can work out a flat rate per session and this might allow the kitty to build a little as well. Maybe 20 bucks a run, paid in cash to the day's group leader filled up at the end and the balance put in the Rsg account. Will be more if we enter in the normal group.
Something like that
Old 07-19-2014, 05:06 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Paul's AIM traces. Green is today 1.16.250. Blue is 26/2 (pre SITT) 1.18.772. Red is my fastest 1.19.953. Analyse away.
This was posted fast John.

In short approx 15kph faster than you in turn 1, 7kph faster in the sweeper and 10kph over the top.

You need to master turn 1 mate..........

Would be interesting to see the 44 race car turn speeds - Pete was quicker in all corners last time we were together on the track.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Fantastic day today guys. I really do enjoy the RSG days and people. It's good to see the friendships and shared enthusiasm grow. Nice to see Macca and Ralf join us. 18 months on I think the RSG is working out really well and will slowly continue to grow. Role on NITT.

BB was just a huge giggle to drive - I was just laughing at how is squealed around the corners like a piglet. This was a great idea too.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Had a great time with Stu from Downforce in the cockpit - I'm back down to my pre-crash 964 times (1:24.5) & able to see how much I'm leaving on the table. Extended gas/brake transitions, deep, late braking and early power on. I believe Paul also set a personal best despite the temps! I can recommend Stu to anyone trying to get past a plateau.
Yes - I recommend Stu too. Learned quite a bit today and picked up some time in just learning on where to look (i.e. place my eyes going into corners) today.

Chris found 10 sec's and I found 0.5 sec's.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Set my personal best today......1.14.01......in the 991 GT3 LOL!

Got brave enough by the end of the day to venture out and have an exploratory drive. Just wanted to get the feel for the car as have never driven anything with more than 292 bhp on the track, let alone with an automated transmission and big brakes. Very different car to drive from the 993, braking points and lines very different. Was very slow over the hill having put the 993 into a savable 360 only the previous session when buttoning off too much there. 991 GT3 was on cold tyres at road pressures (they were well cooked by half way through but the chassis is incredible and masks the effects). Im pretty confident there is 2s a lap left on the table as I had the nannies (ESC + TC) on (Richards recommendation for a first timer out), tyres pressures were without adjustment and I now need to totally re learn turn 10 as the car doesn't like the double apex approach. Oh, yeah I need to get my bottle back on turn 3 over the brow too as Im backing of there big time.

V max was 231 kmph GPS verified and on the footage the speedo shows 231 so go figure must be accurate! I think with a proper hook up of turn 10 and a little more confidence/experience/bottle whatever vMax on that straight will be close to 240kmph.

The family have watched the in car footage and declare the 991 GT3 sounds way better (from the inside). Mind you the new Sony set up has far superior sound than the GoPro 3 Black.The image on the GoPro is slightly sharper tho. I was so impressed with the ease of use with the Sony that I will be selling my GoPro set up (have everything mostly twice) if anyone is interested in a good deal....

Was an amazing experience and I will openly say that Im 100% addicted to it and the 993 just doesn't seem as fun any more on the track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a car that can deliver a 1.12 at HD out of the box and drive me home in absolute rain with heated bucket seats a 235W sound system and total comfort. Im sold. make mine white ;-)
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 AM
Ridgeline911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great day, weather was almost perfect apart from the foggy start. New HD PB for me today 1:20.05 so took 1 second off. Was awesome to meet some more RSG members. Always enjoy talking to such an enthusiastic bunch!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Three fastest runs to date in BB. Dave Green, Paul Red, Mark H Blue.
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2014, 05:35 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

^^^^

Glad you had fun today Macca.

Sounds like the emotional attachment to the 993 is evaporating........(what's that saying - power corrupts and absolute BHP corrupts absolutely......)

What was you best 993 time??

Regarding BB - I'm waaaaay slower in the sweeper, so have a chance of taking top spot if I can sort this out. Dave is the sweeper guru in BB - 5-10kph faster......

Dave what line do you take (double apex or continuous curve??)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM
O2GO
Drifting

993 jilted for a younger lover, ha ha
Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 366 Posts

Macca, would have loved to be there to see both cars, but work didn't allow it. Playing 9 holes in 20C at sunrise made it more palatable. Are you going to be at the HD endurance race next Saturday?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Fantastic day today guys. I really do enjoy the RSG days and people. It's good to see the friendships and shared enthusiasm grow. Nice to see Macca and Ralf join us. 18 months on I think the RSG is working out really well and will slowly continue to grow. Role on NITT.

BB was just a huge giggle to drive - I was just laughing at how is squealed around the corners like a piglet. This was a great idea too.
Me too. Drove three Porsches today. Thought it might be a drought while mine is in bits but it actually could be preferable driving an assortment that you don't have to pay for.
Thanks Macca, most expensive and fastest car I've ever driven, or been in. On the motorway this morning I was thinking that there would have been nothing faster than what i was in. Good feeling. A better feeling was a nice looking air hostess filling up at the gas station behind me and she would have thought it was mine so I kind of milked that a bit with some extra revs for her. Another day and life and I might have played that one a bit further, aye? Maybe with a burnout.
I have to say that even though the 993 is seen to be the pinnacle of the air cooled lot, the 991 Gt3 has a different sort of excitement to it.
But when all is said and done, Steve's lefty RS rep with a 3.2 won me over as much as the GT3 in the complete opposite way. It's quite a hairy dog but man it was fun. Front end porpoising in the sweeper, lift off oversteer, big shove on the brakes, b'stard gear change. Took a while to get the hands / feet / gears / heel and toe going and reached for the door a couple of times to change gear but end of the day it was all natural.
There is a place for both types of 911 and I'll have one each, thanks.
Only thing that would have topped today would have been me rolling off a lazy 1.27.9 in BB.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 AM
O2GO
Drifting

^^^^^^ nicely put Dave.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^^

Glad you had fun today Macca.

Sounds like the emotional attachment to the 993 is evaporating........(what's that saying - power corrupts and absolute BHP corrupts absolutely......)

What was you best 993 time??

Regarding BB - I'm waaaaay slower in the sweeper, so have a chance of taking top spot if I can sort this out. Dave is the sweeper guru in BB - 5-10kph faster......

Dave what line do you take (double apex or continuous curve??)
A messy understeery one that completely washes out and pummells the ripple strip under full power in third sending massive shockwaves through the driveline - but I don't care.
Single apex.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjg
Just keep it simple and list the fastest time for each person, no need to track first session times or number of sessions.
Definitely - just fastest time and condition in parens beside it, Top Gear style. Wet (W), Damp (D), Small Children in Road (SCIR), whatever works & a bit of levity.

Originally Posted by John McM
How well did BB last? We need 6 more co-owners to get their runs in. Thanks to Chris B we no longer need to worry about a WOF or Rego after they run out. Any thoughts from the people who have run so far where this is going? Do we run her into the ground?
BB seemed to hold on very well, I'm confident she'll be with us a while. Replace parts like for like as needed - keep ol Howler the standard as long as we can.

Originally Posted by Macca
Set my personal best today......1.14.01......in the 991 GT3 LOL!
-SNIP!-
This is a car that can deliver a 1.12 at HD out of the box and drive me home in absolute rain with heated bucket seats a 235W sound system and total comfort. Im sold. make mine white ;-)
.01 from the 13's on your first run!! You'd better extend your stay to include the sprints or sneak back on tomorrow at end of Ron's run. :-)

Stunning car ...
Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
993 jilted for a younger lover, ha ha
She's faster, hotter, easier, younger, no baggage ...

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?