Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Great, you want a trace vs Dave as well?
You bet! I'm going to predict early braking.

Originally Posted by Ralf G
I am using a similar spanner like that for the bleeding nipples:
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onli...d=342524#Cross

Is it really called nipples? sounds a bit .........
You're going to fit in here juuuust fine. Just just tweak them too hard!

Originally Posted by Obsessed
I think your camera was placed perfectly to capture your grin in the rear-view mirror?

Impressive video!
Originally Posted by kiwi 911
Shame we can't see your mouth in the rear view mirror, but your eyes are smiling as you pass Ralf and the yellow 996T.
Originally Posted by Macca
Yeah. I couldn't shake the smile each time the box up-shifted at precisely 9000 rpm. You've been in it when it does that so you understand :-).
The smile is all we need to see your ideal future direction...

Hi Macca,

Looks like there was something broken at my car. You were flying past me like I was standing still. That car is just amazingly fast.
Ralf -- with those new shoes you were absolutely carving it up in the corners. Glad you had a chance to run sessions!

C
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
PHG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect this is a slippery slope I need to think hard about. Just hit 105,000km in 21 years. I suspect investing a lot of time in detailing will make me reluctant to drive it too much. That said I couldn't resist this morning.
What tyres you got on that thing, John
sticks to the roof like chewing gum..
Old 07-21-2014, 07:22 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by Macca
Here's a little clip for some fun - features Ralf and friends. Phil stars here, Richard Snow is in the distance and I think shortly after the clip ends Chris M plays a role...

Ill stop boring you all now. Just getting an overdose on broadband fibre (50mBPS). I cant believe Ive done almost 150GB of upload to the cloud in only 4 days!

Cheers Macca
A boat owner never sees his boat underway.. wish I had never bought those wheels/tyres from John.. the TT felt like mush on the road tyres after using the 221's.. cornering was like my golf swing..different every time..!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

the traces in RS2Analysis are really looking good.
I thought lets have a go and try to get my data into RS2Analysis.
It would be nice to see where I can improve the most.
All good I thought and downloaded RS2 from AIM Sports.
Installed it everything easy until now.
Then I tried to get my data into the thing, hm, how does that work? Read through the f...ing manual (RTFM) but TMI and not the right one. At the end I couldn't figure out how to get my data into RS2.
The data is an export from Raceaddict in XLS or csv format with the following fields:

Time Lap GPS_Update GPS_Delay Accuracy (m) Latitude Longitude Altitude (m)
Speed (KM/H) Heading X Y Z

But unfortunately the analysis in Trackaddict is only rudimentary.
I would prefer to see it in RS2 or something similar.

Has anyone already figured out how to do that?
Or does it only work with AIM products?
I might end up buying a AIM SOLO, how do I explain that to my accountant at home :-)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PHG
.. wish I had never bought those wheels/tyres from John.. the TT felt like mush on the road tyres after using the 221's.. cornering was like my golf swing..different every time..!
Is it just the difference from R-Comps or do they have issues? What wheels and tyres were they - are they OK on road? My 996T's only done that once on underinflated road tyres, when I took advice on running much lower track pressures from someone on R-comps. Overinflated is no good either, though mine were (greasily) consistent when I did a few unexpected laps from road pressures on two occasions. I'm on R-comps now but used to bleed my HTRZIII streets down to about 33F 39R before each 5 lap session for about 38, 46 hot coming off - ie starting them moderately underinflated and ending a bit over. If doing longer sessions you'd probably want to go 3 or 4 PSI lower if they're cold, but best to work them up to a better temp and pressure first before hammering them. YMMV of course. Or get some more R-Comps...

@John. Lol - if you're gonna keep working on your car like that you'd better get some 8 foot axle (roof) stands so it doesn't come down on you...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 PM
mjg
Pro

the traces in RS2Analysis are really looking good.
I thought lets have a go and try to get my data into RS2Analysis.
It would be nice to see where I can improve the most.
All good I thought and downloaded RS2 from AIM Sports.
Installed it everything easy until now.
Then I tried to get my data into the thing, hm, how does that work? Read through the f...ing manual (RTFM) but TMI and not the right one. At the end I couldn't figure out how to get my data into RS2.
The data is an export from Raceaddict in XLS or csv format with the following fields:

Time Lap GPS_Update GPS_Delay Accuracy (m) Latitude Longitude Altitude (m)
Speed (KM/H) Heading X Y Z

But unfortunately the analysis in Trackaddict is only rudimentary.
I would prefer to see it in RS2 or something similar.

Has anyone already figured out how to do that?
Or does it only work with AIM products?
I might end up buying a AIM SOLO, how do I explain that to my accountant at home :-)
Unless you're using an external GPS unit, the phone's GPS is limited to 1Hz updates and low positioning accuracy, so you won't be able to do much meaningful analysis of the data.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 580 Likes on 345 Posts

the traces in RS2Analysis are really looking good. I thought lets have a go and try to get my data into RS2Analysis. It would be nice to see where I can improve the most. All good I thought and downloaded RS2 from AIM Sports. Installed it everything easy until now. Then I tried to get my data into the thing, hm, how does that work? Read through the f...ing manual (RTFM) but TMI and not the right one. At the end I couldn't figure out how to get my data into RS2. The data is an export from Raceaddict in XLS or csv format with the following fields: Time Lap GPS_Update GPS_Delay Accuracy (m) Latitude Longitude Altitude (m) Speed (KM/H) Heading X Y Z But unfortunately the analysis in Trackaddict is only rudimentary. I would prefer to see it in RS2 or something similar. Has anyone already figured out how to do that? Or does it only work with AIM products? I might end up buying a AIM SOLO, how do I explain that to my accountant at home :-)
I'm an AIM Solo fanboy, because it works. Gave it to the crew for Saturday BB runs and it came back with all of the data.

If you are interested in developing track telemetry systems, Mark H (ridgeline911) is the man. He's building a bespoke system. Because he can.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I suspect this is a slippery slope I need to think hard about. Just hit 105,000km in 21 years. I suspect investing a lot of time in detailing will make me reluctant to drive it too much. That said I couldn't resist this morning.
Seriously stunning car John. I've saw another silver 3.6 recently, with a sad story. But yours....yum yum
Old 07-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Ralf G
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjg
Unless you're using an external GPS unit, the phone's GPS is limited to 1Hz updates and low positioning accuracy, so you won't be able to do much meaningful analysis of the data.
I am using an external Garmin GLO with 10HZ connected via Bluetooth to my IPad.
The Ipad runs Trackaddict.
It is really nice for Videos with speedo and time overlay.
But not really usefull for analysis, or maybe I haven't figured it out how to use it :-)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM
PHG
Racer

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Is it just the difference from R-Comps or do they have issues? What wheels and tyres were they - are they OK on road? My 996T's only done that once on underinflated road tyres, when I took advice on running much lower track pressures from someone on R-comps. Overinflated is no good either, though mine were (greasily) consistent when I did a few unexpected laps from road pressures on two occasions. I'm on R-comps now but used to bleed my HTRZIII streets down to about 33F 39R before each 5 lap session for about 38, 46 hot coming off - ie starting them moderately underinflated and ending a bit over. If doing longer sessions you'd probably want to go 3 or 4 PSI lower if they're cold, but best to work them up to a better temp and pressure first before hammering them. YMMV of course. Or get some more R-Comps...

@John. Lol - if you're gonna keep working on your car like that you'd better get some 8 foot axle (roof) stands so it doesn't come down on you...
Hi Walter
I had track wheels and Z221s that I bought from John.. used them.. loved them .. sold them.. (u asked about them, recall?)
Going back to P zeros I certainly noticed the difference.
In saying that, I must have had my pressures way too low as you suggest, as it did not feel so bad previously. I dropped them down to @28/30 cold, and the track temp was cold.. Lots of squealing.
You carry a lot more rear tyre pressure than I was on too I was on @34.. no wonder the poor wee girl wallowed around in front of Macca (for a very short time).. Damn, that thing is quick, so too Richards Red one
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 144 Posts

Macca watching your GT around the track was outstanding. I had to watch it twice to realise you were not even using the paddles. Death of the third pedal?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 PM
mjg
Pro

I am using an external Garmin GLO with 10HZ connected via Bluetooth to my IPad.
The Ipad runs Trackaddict.
It is really nice for Videos with speedo and time overlay.
But not really usefull for analysis, or maybe I haven't figured it out how to use it :-)
Oh great, so you'll have data as good as the AIM Solo GPS is producing. I'll have a look at RS2's data handling tonight and let you know if I have any luck... I've got data trapped in RT Analysis and Circuit Tools, so it'd be useful to have a import solution for those, too.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:49 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

John McM
If you are interested in developing track telemetry systems, Mark H (ridgeline911) is the man. He's building a bespoke system. Because he can.
Tell us more Mark... Could be some more interest around here to run with your system too??
Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by gt38088
Tell us more Mark... Could be some more interest around here to run with your system too??
I'd be curious to hear more. I've thought about building a system in the past, but decided the software for analysis would be a fair amount of work.

Might also want to chat to these guys, who have a working system integrated into a couple of BMW race cars so far: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/43901...ta-acquistion/
Old 07-21-2014, 11:41 PM
KiwiSean
Pro

off topic and checked RSG site, but are there any track days planned for August before the NITT? I'm back in Oz for a 6-8 weeks and keen to time a weekend visit with a track day.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?