Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:11 AM
O2GO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I snuck past one or both of those two other cars on the inside in the run up to Barrel 52 which is why my line is rubbish coming out of it. It's certainly not my normal line, but Dave's is perfect for BB.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hanna
I think I snuck past one or both of those two other cars on the inside in the run up to Barrel 52 which is why my line is rubbish coming out of it. It's certainly not my normal line, but Dave's is perfect for BB.
I told the PO that the rears lock up at times. He suggested weak pads or no rear brakes at all.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 AM
CS Mende
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Is anyone interested in running BB on Saturday, 2 August? Normal Play Day group. As stated above, approx $36 per session. I'm happy to limit myself to one session, especially if there are new names to put on the leaderboard.
I'm game if I can get a pass. Tbd!

Great. Yes, I'm at the Sprints as well. My Birthday weekend. Hopefully Lola won't turn up with any more mods. I'm running out of weight reductions. A couple of kilos in the catalytic converter core to come out but otherwise I need all of the practice I can get. Btw Doug - Herman's brake lights now come on very late. I think what you've been seeing is a sensitive switch. My problem is over braking rather than early braking.
There's about 4kg in a heater blower motor RS delete. Almost on par with a Tongan dinner by the looks!
Old 07-20-2014, 05:53 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CS Mende
I'm game if I can get a pass. Tbd! There's about 4kg in a heater blower motor RS delete. Almost on par with a Tongan dinner by the looks!
Great, you want a trace vs Dave as well?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Maxem
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got a lucky lap.
I once had a citroen AX11. Fantastic car, it taught me a lot about lift off oversteer when lining up a corner.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM
ChrisB_NZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one Chris. Btw my time in Tonga was spent with two other guys. One of them, Nicolas the Argentinian, is ex Fonterra.

Any more starters for 2 August? Particularly the guys who've yet to run a session.
Sounds like a good trip to Tonga, a long way from home for an ex Fonterra Argentinian.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:11 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB_NZ
Sounds like a good trip to Tonga, a long way from home for an ex Fonterra Argentinian.
It was a free trip, just had to work and miss a track day. Argie was a bit too delicate for the Tropics.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:25 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kiwi Carguy
Its days like this that I wish i was closer to Jaffa land when you guys post about your track day experiences at HD John M were you after one of these? I had this as a spare for my 993 mainly for the drive gear, bearing etc. I think they fit the 964 boot lid? IIRC you were wanting one if you every went back to the original spec tail?
Jamie, unfortunately it doesn't fit a 964 deck lid.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM
gt38088
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Macca the more you drive the 991 on track the more you are going to be hooked, challenged to go faster, and not be able to sell it
Old 07-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told the PO that the rears lock up at times. He suggested weak pads or no rear brakes at all.
This guy has some great ideas! Maybe I should ask his advice as I had the same problem in the 964 on saturday coming into Barrel 51. As Dave can testify from the smoke in front of him. Left rear lock-up. This happened twice at the same point before Barrel 51. Not sure if this is something that happens much with you other 964ers? But whether there needs to be some biasing work I need to do. The rears are 4 pots.

Jake if you see some more Japanese porsche style it would be great to see them, What did you end up renting for your drive?
Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
This guy has some great ideas! Maybe I should ask his advice as I had the same problem in the 964 on saturday coming into Barrel 51. As Dave can testify from the smoke in front of him. Left rear lock-up. This happened twice at the same point before Barrel 51. Not sure if this is something that happens much with you other 964ers? But whether there needs to be some biasing work I need to do. The rears are 4 pots. Jake if you see some more Japanese porsche style it would be great to see them, What did you end up renting for your drive?
Sam, BB is doing it because she has no ABS and that corner has the left rear lightly loaded. Do you have ABS? If so is it working at other parts of the track?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Does anyone have a power bleeder or know where I can get one? I want to start bleeding my own brakes.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Runtothehills
This guy has some great ideas! Maybe I should ask his advice as I had the same problem in the 964 on saturday coming into Barrel 51. As Dave can testify from the smoke in front of him. Left rear lock-up. This happened twice at the same point before Barrel 51. Not sure if this is something that happens much with you other 964ers? But whether there needs to be some biasing work I need to do. The rears are 4 pots.

Jake if you see some more Japanese porsche style it would be great to see them, What did you end up renting for your drive?
Sam Im not familiar with 964 architecture but would point towards ABS control unit, proportioning valve and left hand caliper piston check/rebuild (not necessarily in that order)....

P.S. You were going pretty well out there yesterday from what I could see!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Runtothehills
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a great day Macca, Started well with seeing your GT3 in the flesh, and setting the first BB time of the day. Got in the groove and felt a lot more capable out there in the 964. Still a long way to go and similarly the sweeper and setting up to turn 3 are the points that really need attention at this stage as they seem to have a big effect on the next parts of the track ( I guess all do.)

So might be time for some brake attention, and testing if the ABS works. Don't seem to get the sensation of them working at any point on the track. On the bleeders, looked into the bleeder kits previously and seems most people on rennlist in the US are going for the motive kits. http://www.motiveproducts.com
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

I need to plan a family trip to the US and fill the bags with parts coming home. Yes, the motive bleeder is the preferred one, but will likely cost
$250 all up in NZ. A lot for the mechanics of a glorified garden spray pump bottle. I'll keep looking around. Surely there is a DIY solution on the local market apart from the $16 special at super cheap.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?