Notices

Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 04:47 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by peterC2S
Probably missed this a few pages back but where do you guys recommend buying Nitto NT01s?
What size are you after? May be able to put you in touch with someone.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Wheel spacers? I get LVV, but wow... If govt were worried about anything legitimate they'd actually do proper safety inspections than what passes for a WOF exam. Good start would be an actual emissions test - I more frequently breathe in massive fumes in Auckland than the most redneck coal-rolling backwater or urban ghetto in 'Murica. And that's me living in the relative sticks. Every time I drive uphill I wish the cabin filters in the 911 were better. 100% Pure BS

Macca, you might prefer owning cars in California to fly in and drive every few months!
Chris. It hasn't escaped my attention. I was hoping secretly that Sean would get deployed there (but instead hes moving back to NZ which is also good!). With the low cost of late model metal like GT3 in the USA its a totally viable plan for us...heck you can buy a band new GT3 in the USA with options for 180K NZD today (thats almost 20% cheaper than mine ended up costing me).
Old 07-12-2014, 05:00 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ964C4
Same feeling... I hope it will pass.
Hi J. Sorry mate

Mr Black has become something of a garage queen these last couple of weeks. Weird battery drain sorted. Worked out the stereo aerial earth and power wires were reversed. All good now. The dead battery stuffed up the idle and he kept stalling. I gave the IVC and MAF a clean and that at least made it drivable. MS reset the idle and now we are back in the game.

I Installed new struts for the front and rear bonnets. Not as bad as I thought that would be. I've also replaced the ignition switch. That was a bit of a bugger trying to remove the top screw. All sorted once I had the right tool, removed the front seat and was head down in the pedal box

Sorry fellas, i'm a bit of a detailing geek. Mr Black has also been subject to a 10 paint correction and he's all sparkly know. All ready to get grubby again.

The front diff pinion seal finally came through after 4 weeks. I rang Europacfic to see if the had one on the shelf - they did, then I found out the one we ordered arrived - that same day. Lesson learned

The upshot is there's been much bonding going on. I'm learning a lot about these cars and loving it
Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CS Mende
Good start would be an actual emissions test - I more frequently breathe in massive fumes in Auckland than the most redneck coal-rolling backwater or urban ghetto in 'Murica. And that's me living in the relative sticks. Every time I drive uphill I wish the cabin filters in the 911 were better. 100% Pure BS
Thousands if not 100s of thousands of Kiwis would be caught out by an emissions test as catalysts have never been compulsory here. I chose to run 100 cell race cats but most chasing performance here in NZ just delete the cats altogether.

Worst is when people overfill their engine oil and it all fires out needlessly as blue smoke.

Macca, if they've already accepted your mods, I would expect you'd just need to explicitly tell them that you don't have LVV and have them confirm their acceptance of that, though rechecking your policy wording and having them confirm your understanding of it is probably needed to be safe. I guess that an LVV cert pre-certifies that a vehicle modded beyond the threshold is road legal. Without it, the onus might otherwise be on you to prove that before they'd pay out. Could be difficult finding an LVV certifier willing to go that far after a crash.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Walt. Yes my documented modification list has already been accepted in writing by their executive underwriter Victoria White.

One problem I do see. I'm prepared to "open my kimono" on this but by doing so I may also create an above the line issue for other RSG members here currently insured with Prestigio and without LVV (for exhaust/Suspension/right height mods etc). Of course ill try not. I'm am almost certain they will not sign off on what I will require in order to be legally satisfied I am covered. I don't understand if "threshold" is defined in law or by precedence. Ill look into it Monday with and report back on here....stay tuned. It would be good to get this cleared up for once and all.

P.S. 911s built for the NZ market before Nov did not ship with Cat converters. We were one of the last countries with "dirty fuel" along with South Africa & UAE.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macca
Hi mate. Yeah I get all that but its a revenue engine for LTSA surely?

If I were to have a new LVV done every time I changed my suspension settings as indicated in that example Id have run out of money and places to rivet plates!
Yes, a ridiculous revenue engine but that's how it operates. It would expect you to be recerted each time you move beyond 5 percent away from what height it states!

"Ive spoke at length with Steve R, Dean, Peter Alder and others on this. Deans position is that there isnt anything on my car that fundamentally wasnt factory on at least one 993 production variant during its production lifespan (i.e. coilovers on RS, camber plates, RS door cards, bucket seats, Heigo half cage etc etc).
That makes a lot of sense but some LVV rules don't, especially for highly adjustable cars like ours. Roughly speaking, seats can be changed sans LVV provided they have sliders if the originals did, the originals had no airbags, the originals had no seatbelt mounting point attached (the issue with mine), convenient access to any rear seat is still possible, and they do not interfere with the manufacturers safety systems by impeding the seatbelts etc. Fitting a half cage doesn't need LVV provided the rear seat belts have been removed from the vehicle and the cage remains behind the driver and passenger. Door cards should only matter if airbag operation is affected. Airbags can only be taken out of cars over a certain age etc etc . There are limits on wheel widths, tyre fitments and tracks (no more than 25mm wider). IIRC.

LVV rules weren't written with the track day set in mind, but as you're probably doing, if I had height adjustables, I'd want them low on track and up higher for Targa. A motorsport authority card is similar to an LVV but allows a little more flexibility flipping between street config and track config I believe, but needs you to do several MS events a year and keep a logbook.

My question is. Even if changes are made and no LVV is sought what difference does that make to an insurance payout? For example Chris M biffs his car and gets paid out, does he have LVV for Bilstein struts, modified ride height, additional dual exit bumper and the few dozen other modifications he has made to his car? No he has a recent VINZ cert on import and a WOF...
I believe springs and shocks can be swapped out for similar styles but going to coilovers/height adjustables (unless your model had them ex factory) invokes LVV certing. Some Bilsteins comply, some don't. As you'll see from the LVV plate examples earlier, the height adjustability is then meaningless on road anyway (or 'road worthy' track events maybe?) since it must stay within that 5 percent of the plate stated height.

That's probably the most frustrating aspect of the LVV circus. That, and the fact that it is a one way street - even if you revert to sub threshold mods or go pure stock, I believe it remains an LVV plated car forever (and you'd need to update your plate to reflect stock). I may do it eventually though if temptation gets the better of me. Can't really get enough front camber for the Nittos for instance...

Last edited by 996tnz; 07-12-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

One problem I do see. I'm prepared to "open my kimono" on this but by doing so I may also create an above the line issue for other RSG members here currently insured with Prestigio and without LVV (for exhaust/Suspension/right height mods etc). Of course ill try not.
Legal non-adjustable exhaust mods don't need LVV but can be required to get a noise compliance cert (foil sticker on exhaust) if above about 95dB (and rear engined Porsches will need a very kind reading of the rules if between 97 and 99 to get it). Mine tested just within the 97dB '911' limit for exposed rear engined cars but I didn't want to pay the extra $200 odd for the sticker so just kept the official tester's test results to show if challenged.

Stupidly, though if I wanted to put some adjustable butterfly valves in my exhaust to quieten it for late night comings and goings, I'd need an LVV cert!

P.S. 911s built for the NZ market before Nov did not ship with Cat converters. We were one of the last countries with "dirty fuel" along with South Africa & UAE.
Interesting to hear that 911s recently went to them. Suspect most cars sold new here were catless as cats aren't cheap because of platinum etc. Hence the huge numbers of Kiwis who would fail LA style emission tests if they started here, though I suppose the more recent unsullied Jap imports would be OK.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional insight Walt.

Im guessing your concern is being insured and thats why you have stayed away from modifying your car to the point you will require LVV (i.e. chip and engine output increases, exhaust etc are all acceptable)?

If that is the issue and the insurer confirms this has no bearing on your cover when using the vehicle would it change your position?

Just curious.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the additional insight Walt.

Im guessing your concern is being insured and thats why you have stayed away from modifying your car to the point you will require LVV (i.e. chip and engine output increases, exhaust etc are all acceptable)?

If that is the issue and the insurer confirms this has no bearing on your cover when using the vehicle would it change your position?

Just curious.
Power can increase up to 20 percent over stock before LVV comes in, but there are limits on how that is achieved (can't mod turbos or swap out chips for instance). Mine's not far off that now. My LVV reluctance is partly insurance, partly resale since it stays an LVV car even if reverted to stock. That said, resale is not why I have the car. Most further LVV related mods would involve some compromise to roadability anyway so happy to wait. Once a few too many uber-sedans approach her performance in another model generation or two I might go LVV and throw her another 100-150HP to level it up, along with adjustable coil overs. Beyond those power levels, it usually costs too much in lost low rpm performance - those 700HP+ monsters with big laggy turbos are great for quicker 0-300 or top speed runs but less fun for track or daily driving, which are best met with instant torque on tap.

Last edited by 996tnz; 07-12-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarplayer
Hi J. Sorry mate

Mr Black has become something of a garage queen these last couple of weeks. Weird battery drain sorted. Worked out the stereo aerial earth and power wires were reversed. All good now. The dead battery stuffed up the idle and he kept stalling. I gave the IVC and MAF a clean and that at least made it drivable. MS reset the idle and now we are back in the game.

I Installed new struts for the front and rear bonnets. Not as bad as I thought that would be. I've also replaced the ignition switch. That was a bit of a bugger trying to remove the top screw. All sorted once I had the right tool, removed the front seat and was head down in the pedal box

Sorry fellas, i'm a bit of a detailing geek. Mr Black has also been subject to a 10 paint correction and he's all sparkly know. All ready to get grubby again.

The front diff pinion seal finally came through after 4 weeks. I rang Europacfic to see if the had one on the shelf - they did, then I found out the one we ordered arrived - that same day. Lesson learned

The upshot is there's been much bonding going on. I'm learning a lot about these cars and loving it
Who did the paint correction - Final Touch or someone else?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Power can increase up to 20 pc over stock before LVV comes in, but there are limits on how that is achieved (can't mod turbos or swap out chips for instance). Mine's not far off that now. My LVV reluctance is partly insurance, partly resale since it stays an LVV car even if reverted to stock. That said, resale is not why I have the car. Most further LVV related mods would involve some compromise to roadability anyway so happy to wait. Once a few too many uber-sedans approach her performance in another model generation or two I might go LVV and throw her another 100-150HP to level it up, along with adjustable coil overs. Beyond those power levels, it usually costs too much in lost low rpm performance - those 700HP+ monsters are great for quicker 0-300 or top speed runs but less fun for track or daily driving, which is best with instant power on tap (or at least no significant lag).
Right. Just curious. Is there a stigma with LVV plate on car? - is there anything extra has to be done each year or extra compliance cost?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:44 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Right. Just curious. Is there a stigma with LVV plate on car? - is there anything extra has to be done each year or extra compliance cost?
Tried to find average resale impact of LVV once but car yards are probably best placed to advise. Our cars are already exotic to most people so those not in the know may be scared off by one that's more complicated than standard, so I suspect it just narrows the buyer pool, lengthens the sale period or lowers the price. Yours is a bit of a movie star so may escape that of course.

Beyond having to get an LVV vehicle reinspected to update the damn LVV at a few hundred bucks or so every time you add, remove, or alter a mod that falls under it, no I don't think there is any extra compliance once plated.

To save others Googling for it, here's that link to the LVV Threshold Guide: http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/su..._Threshold.pdf
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kiwi 911

Who did the paint correction - Final Touch or someone else?
I did. I've seen final touch's work and wasn't particularly impressed.

Without trying to sound too geeky. Wash and clay followed by Menzerna 2500 on on a white pad on most of the car except the doors which required a little more oomph, 1500 on orange pad. Whole car then jeweled with 4500 on blue pad. The front hood and wings were already in good nick as they were recently painted so didn't need much work. Lastly, finished with Blackfire Wet Diamond. No wax as its not going to a show. Menzerna are superb German made products and the Blackfire works well on black cars

There was some marks on the passenger door were someone with studded jeans leaned against it and scratched it to buggery as Jason will testify. They are gone now

Ill take some pics when I get a chance.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:21 PM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

I saw a flouro yellow/green '64 heading towards the city on the northern motorway last night at about 530. Anyone here ?
Old 07-12-2014, 06:26 PM
mjg
Pro

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Power can increase up to 20 percent over stock before LVV comes in, but there are limits on how that is achieved (can't mod turbos or swap out chips for instance).
By my reading any ECU flash on a forced induction car requires certification, irrespective of any increase in peak power output.

Quick Reply: Any Rennlisters from New Zealand?