Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 01:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
They've already been trying to sort out issues for ~2 years now and they're STILL not in production.

I think at best its going to be more like the Alfa Guilia Quadrifolgio. If it ever actually goes into production, the initial response will be good.. because people want it to be.
Then reality will settle in and all the excitement will burn off and it'll go from "wow what a car, they got this one right" to "whoa! too many problems, run away don't buy!"
Only time will tell. In their defense going from FE to ME is not a minor change. Personally I'm rooting for the C8 to be a rousing success. I'm in favor of anything that will add more jobs for US workers. Also, I would like Porsche to have a competitor. Maybe it will slow down the rate of their annual price increases. The prices for all their sports cars is quickly moving to obscene levels, along with their maintenance prices. I have a friend who just had the one year service performed on his 911. He was charged $500 for what is essentially an oil change, but to be fair they did provide him with a beverage and a snack.
The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

There ain't nothing wrong with the motor in this Vette.

6.2 honking liters - go for it. It can putz around on the highway getting 30 mpg at get- ticket- speeds. Or zip you to 60 in less than 3 seconds. Maintenance ? Change the oil and filter sometime when you get around to it and go again.

Old school you say? How old school is gasoline and valves?

GM knows that motor. It's like Ford with the 5.0 or the flat 6 that some guys use. It's their motor.
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:54 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Reality is, Porsche's are like 25% more expensive than they should be just due to inflated German manufacturing costs (labor unions) and the profit margins Porsche shoots for. They're getting it, and that's fine as I support a capitalist economy, but that same economy also fosters competition and consumers have choices.
I think ultimately, Porsche also keeps upping their game, with little to no true competition. At least no one has really threatened them in terms of matching or beating them. The AMG GT/S was supposed to be a 911 beater, that hasn’t equated to much, same with the F-type, and the list goes on.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

The 911 is very unique and been hard to beat agree .... Reality is, Porsche is making most if its profits on the Macan's, etc ... and those segments have more competition and less brand loyalty.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:10 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Unless one wants a manual, which the Porsches have but the Vette does not. If I had not recently bought my Targa I would give the Spyder a serious look, and I like the Vette from what I see now but not with a DCT.
I prefer the manual as well but like to drive my cars. The clutch on the old GT4 was too much exercise for my legs for my taste. If I got that car, It would remain low mileage just because it was not comfortable to drive. When the new GT4 came out, one thing I checked was if it had a DCT. However, everyone has their preferences.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Only time will tell. In their defense going from FE to ME is not a minor change. Personally I'm rooting for the C8 to be a rousing success. I'm in favor of anything that will add more jobs for US workers. Also, I would like Porsche to have a competitor. Maybe it will slow down the rate of their annual price increases. The prices for all their sports cars is quickly moving to obscene levels, along with their maintenance prices. I have a friend who just had the one year service performed on his 911. He was charged $500 for what is essentially an oil change, but to be fair they did provide him with a beverage and a snack.
Same here. I understand folks concerns with quality control -- GM has an abysmal track record with their cars in the past. But I also hope it'll be successful and punch into other markets space. On paper, this car looks great. Implementation is everything and I'm excited to try it.

Wife's 320 lease will be out of miles by early 2020 and she wants a sports car this time around (we have a larger vehicle for when more space is needed). I don't think performance matters much to her but she loved the look of the vehicle, so she'll probably cross shop that with F type, BMW Z, Cayman, etc. She's partial to BMW ever since doing ED on my M4, so we'll see. Could never do a vette in the past because the front end is so long and she would have anxiety trying to park it anywhere.

Either way I think GM undeniably has a great opportunity here.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:24 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
It’ll beat the 718 GT4 manual version 0-60, and beat the PDK version 0-60 MPH by a lesser margin.

The Vette weighs 3366 lbs dry, so it probably weights around 3550-3600 wet (the way Porsche measures it). That’s 400+ lbs heavier than the GT4, or about 13%+ heavier than the GT4. That negates most of the horsepower advantage, and more so given historically German horses have been inexplicably stronger than American ones

I’d expect the PDK 718 GT4 to be just as quick or quicker than the Vette in longer acceleration runs like a 1/4 mile or accelerating through straights on track.

Will the Vette chassis be as agile, balanced, and well sorted as the GT4? I doubt that too.

The new Vette is great value for the money, but saying it’ll run circles around the GT4 is a stretch. It’s just geared for good 0-60 times.
I don't know about that. The previous gen Z06 was comparable to the GT3 in terms of track times, and we know how Porsche likes to neuter the Cayman. I'm guessing the new C8 isn't going to be slower.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:26 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It looks ok. Still too busy and too "Hot Wheels" and not in a good way. It's designed to appeal the NASCAR hillbilly redneck type who wear TapOut and Fox Racing and Monster Energy Drink clothing and who punch holes in drywall when they get angry. They're the ones sitting around drinking Coors with their buddies talking about how it'd be "like wicked ****in' cool to get a new Vette, I tell you whut!"

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them. I'm sure it will be "fast." I'm sure I won't want one. Never have liked Corvettes or Camaros unless we're talking something classic/vintage. My cousin has two super nice classic Stingrays. And I'd love to own a '68 Camaro. But definitely not any of the newer ones.
Wow.... suppose we could stereotype you with a typical Bay Area guy but that would be wrong too..
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasPorschelover:
porschedood5000 (07-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Two valve with push rods. Advantage.
ok, smaller package for more displacement. Horse power per liter? Nope. Max RPM? Nope. Efficiency? Nope.
This argument reminds me of the old days in the AMA. All the Japanese and European bikes with all those valves and cams were limited to 500cc. Harley Davidson with the advantage of a flat head engine was allowed 750cc. Smaller lighter with more displacement deal.
I do see where Chevy is talking about a future option of a DOHC flat plane crank engine. Giving away the advantage for mo money. Odd.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm in favor of anything that will add more jobs for US workers.
Seriously, I think its more likely they'll move the Bowling Green plant to CHINA.
I haven't heard of any plans for GM to build new plants in the US.. just in China.
This could be a reason for the production delay.. They're already moving the whole operation to China??!

N' that's after the U.S. taxpayer bailed 'em out. GM wouldn't even be a company anymore if it wasn't for the U.S. taxpayer.

IMO GM is the worst !@#$%^ company and they make the worst !@#$% products!!

Also, I would like Porsche to have a competitor. Maybe it will slow down the rate of their annual price increases. The prices for all their sports cars is quickly moving to obscene levels, along with their maintenance prices. I have a friend who just had the one year service performed on his 911. He was charged $500 for what is essentially an oil change, but to be fair they did provide him with a beverage and a snack.
Agreed. Especially the Dealer maintenance costs. Wow!!!
Old 07-21-2019, 02:50 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't knock that engine til you run it sitting behind the wheel.
It has a bit of that street rod judder. Yes, the 427 LS7 block HAS the full judder and aftershock.
but the base engine is nothing like a pickup truck or anything.
it has a classic American V8 feel without the unpleasantries of them bygone days..
Old 07-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Johnny92
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Still a Chevy. LOL
How pretentious
markdk (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:08 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny92
How pretentious
How patriotic right?!
Old 07-21-2019, 03:13 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,448 Likes on 4,110 Posts

Nope, with a $60k point of entry, in 2 years you'll see 10 of them every time you leave the house. I like unique cars and this won't be one.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nope, with a $60k point of entry, in 2 years you'll see 10 of them every time you leave the house. I like unique cars and this won't be one.
Funny how different geographical have different meaning for unique cars because I see a Porsche every street corners in Honolulu but I rarely ever seen a new Vette around town. Vette is more rare than 911 in my little county Kaka’ako Hawai’i.
Big Swole (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?