Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:09 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

It looks ok. Still too busy and too "Hot Wheels" and not in a good way. It's designed to appeal the NASCAR hillbilly redneck type who wear TapOut and Fox Racing and Monster Energy Drink clothing and who punch holes in drywall when they get angry. They're the ones sitting around drinking Coors with their buddies talking about how it'd be "like wicked ****in' cool to get a new Vette, I tell you whut!"

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them. I'm sure it will be "fast." I'm sure I won't want one. Never have liked Corvettes or Camaros unless we're talking something classic/vintage. My cousin has two super nice classic Stingrays. And I'd love to own a '68 Camaro. But definitely not any of the newer ones.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Seems odd, doesn't it? I have never found any cars designed after 1947 to be particularly appealing. I buy today's cars because they suit a desire or need, not because of their looks. After I own a car for awhile, I usually find some design elements that grow on me. I'm OK with that. Plus, I never get too attached to a car. I think with a Porsche you get real attached to the prestige and exclusivity it carries more than anything else. If GM made it, most of you wouldn't touch it.
What Porsche does better than most is 'timeless design'. There's a restraint and elegance to Porsches.

GM has a history of just putting 10 slashes of chrome on a car just...... because.

The following users liked this post:
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

American Cars have been upping the ante lately during track days. I’ve not had a chance to drive most of the cars on this list but their lap times are pretty damn impressive. Domestics have never been on my radar... i suspect that will soon change if they keep churning iut track monsters like these.

-Viper ACR
-Mustang GT350
-Camaro ZL1 1LE
-Corvette C7 Grand Sport/Z06
-Corvette C8 (tbd)
handful (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
True, but try buying a GT3RS for $188K. I have a long term relationship with a local Porsche dealer, and when I expressed interest in a GT3RS, he told me that they had an allocation and because I was a long term customer, he was willing to reduce the ADM to $20K for me.

I agree that no GT3RS will depreciate that much in 3.5 years, but how many GT3RSs will have 35K miles on the odometer in 3.5 years? I just did a search on Car Gurus, and there are many GT3Rs for sale. I saw three 2016s with just 200 mikes, and most of the rest were in the 1K - 2K range. Only one car had a whopping 12K miles, but that was on a 2011. I then did a search on Corvettes within 500 miles of my zip code, and not surprisingly the mileage on these cars were relatively high: the majority were between 20K and 45K miles. I only saw one Corvette with low mileage, 9K miles on a 2011, and he was asking $29K for that car. It was listed with the 1LT package which is the lowest priced Corvette model. So in 2011 I expect the MSRP for that car was in the low $40Ks, and like most Corvettes it probably was discounted by around 10%. I have no idea what this Vette will sell for, but if it's for anywhere near asking, not much depreciation on a 8 year old car.

Bottom line is that one of the key reasons that Porsches retain their value is because of their low mileage. A typical 911 owner does not use his Porsche as his DD, whereas many if not not most Corvette owners drive their cars daily. So of course Corvettes in general will not retain their value as well as low mileage Porsches.

To get back to your point about the projected ownership costs between the C8 and GT4 being comparable, I agree provided that the owners drive their cars in a typical manner: garage queens vs DD. BTW I checked Car Gurus for GT4s for sale in my area and they listed three 2016s with mileage between 3k and 6K.

All excellent points that are to be considered. The lease example with the RS was just for kicks, but actually applies to regular GT3's and probably the GT4 also. While you are absolutely correct with the difference in demographics between a Vette and Porsche owner, there are both types in either camp. I have a good friend with a 991 GT3 who DD's his car and after a couple of year he has put 20k miles on it. I'm pretty sure the car would still sell WAY above the residual that Porsche had set for it, if it were a lease. Also a fellow well respected Rennlist member, who tracked a leased GT3 excessively with two other co owners for 3 years, sold it for many $10's of thousands more than the buy out would have been. And that was on absolute track rat with lots of miles on it. In short, what I suggested still applies, but it can be difficult to find comparable examples, because of the difference in general ownership between the two, which you pointed out.

On the example of the 2011 Vette with 9k miles. You have to be careful with those "middle aged" cars. It's like with used M3's. Once they get older than 6-7 years, and have low miles, they almost tend to go up again, because guys like us always look for track cars. $30-40k is not much for many guys out there for such a toy and they get snatched up.

It's all interesting and there are many things to consider. I still believe what I originally suggested holds true. For me the GT4 is not a DD, it is a luxury to have and a car I only drive occasionally, and take to the track a few times a year. For that purpose I feel it has very low depreciation for a six figure car, and I don't expect a lot of maintenance cost either (I do my own oil changes and what not). So for my situation it isn't more costly than a Vette would have been, if at all.

To bring this home and get back on topic somewhat. The issue with the Vette, is that they are priced too low and overproduced. It is what it is. I am not suggesting Chevy should make it a more exclusive car or charge more, because they have their own business model and clientele, but the fact that they price it so low, and then later in the model years discount them heavily, are two big reasons their initial depreciation is so high. The old saying that the car drops 10% when you drive it off the lot really holds true on a Vette. And that doesn't seem to be the case with many P cars.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It looks ok. Still too busy and too "Hot Wheels" and not in a good way. It's designed to appeal the NASCAR hillbilly redneck type who wear TapOut and Fox Racing and Monster Energy Drink clothing and who punch holes in drywall when they get angry. They're the ones sitting around drinking Coors with their buddies talking about how it'd be "like wicked ****in' cool to get a new Vette, I tell you whut!"
Pretentious and judgmental much?

I love Porsche as much as the next rennlister but the new corvette seems like a great car but the pretentiousness in this thread (and the others about the c8) is crazy!
The following 4 users liked this post by n3rd:
flgfish (07-28-2019), handful (07-21-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Jay Leno exclusive :

https://youtu.be/NZGCJu2OaAg
That's inside one of the hangers at the LTA base in Tustin.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You seem to have it all figured out. Must be nice to be you.
The following 4 users liked this post by hf1:
handful (07-21-2019), Latitude34N (07-21-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
What Porsche does better than most is 'timeless design'. There's a restraint and elegance to Porsches.

GM has a history of just putting 10 slashes of chrome on a car just...... because.
GM reacts to what the market currently wants, or they wouldn't sell millions of vehicles every year. My kids love the looks of the new models. My son-in-law thinks the new Camaro looks great. I think it looks like an angry cheese grater. Chrome and ostentation were all the craze after WW2. Have you ever checked out the 62 Chrysler Crown Imperial? I find the Porsche design is tolerable for it's simple lines, but the nose is much too long. If it wasn't for the huge *** end with bulging fenders and giant tires it would look very feminine.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
That's inside one of the hangers at the LTA base in Tustin.
First thing I noticed....... It is now being developed and it's called Tustin Legacy. Rumors are the hangars will disappear. Personally I think they would make a great Packing house mall type environment. It would take one heck of an investment though.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I think that with serious supercar looks that it now has, I will be interested in the next few years. The current C7 was just odd and caricatural looking.

Now that vette will definitely hurt NSX, R8 and others sales. Very dissapointed that they didn't bring back the round tail lights, which was the biggest mistake they made on the C7. But hey!!! It is what it is.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:55 PM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
My only quibble so far (before tests/reviews and driving one) is that it should have been at least 300lb lighter. How does an aluminum + fiberglass 2-seater weigh 3600lbs? Where is all this weight coming from? I suggest they make a stripped out “RS” version or spend some research/$ to make the GS and Z versions lighter instead of just add more HP as usual. They could charge close to $100k for 300lbs less, easy, and still be a huge bargain.
Definitely heavy compared to a 911 or 718, but weight is actually pretty inline with the R8 and AMG GT
The following 2 users liked this post by eltoshan:
Craigy (07-30-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:05 PM
ltomn
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
It's a little odd that the C8 is getting so much interest in this subforum, and it's likely because most members here appreciate engineering and performance and can spot a special local optimum...

Not sure how it could get to GT2RS times with its current power plant, I would discount that little piece of info. The Z51 package is not hardcore enough, maybe a next iteration with more power and dedicated setup will...
Read my post again! I said GM has tested the mid level (Z06) configuration of the C8. That is more then likely much higher horsepower and a different set up.
catdog2 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;15983794]Apparently no MT [/QUOTE

Originally Posted by okie981
Yet.
One article I read mentioned that GM applied for a patent for a "clutch by wire" system.
I'd give it 18mos- 2 years then they'll drop an ad that says "What's your excuse now?"

I don't really like the wall of a center console but the passenger seeming to not being able to reach the infotainment screen is a plus to me.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them. I'm sure it will be "fast." I'm sure I won't want one. Never have liked Corvettes or Camaros unless we're talking something classic/vintage. My cousin has two super nice classic Stingrays. And I'd love to own a '68 Camaro. But definitely not any of the newer ones.

Nice job giving the Vette forums something to bash Porsche guys over ... I'd rather be drinking a Coors with "them" ... more down to earth and genuine folks I'm sure. Would rather punch holes in drywall (or bang my head against a wall) than listen to guys bragging about how many watches, cars, houses, etc ... they have
The following 8 users liked this post by STG:
catdog2 (07-21-2019), kfmcmahon (07-21-2019), Latitude34N (07-21-2019), mr965 (07-21-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019), Rich_Jenkins (07-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019), zx5go (07-21-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Love this angle: Black might, in fact be the best color.
The car looks very sharp.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?