Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 12:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Called 5 Porsche dealers to offer over MSRP and buy a Cayenne Turbo and again do the same trading back the GT3 for the RS.
I also contacted Chevy for a Z06.

I tried, was cool owning Porsches, look forward to experience the 9000RPM V8.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:02 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Since this is a Porsche Forum I do expect a lot of flack for my thoughts but I really do like my C8. I have owned Corvettes for a lot longer than I have owned Porsche cars, This is the best Corvette that I have ever owned. It is much closer to my GTS than I thought it would be and my GTS was light years ahead of my 2015 Vette. I took it to our usual Porsche and Pancakes breakfast on Saturday morning. It was interesting to see the reaction from the members attending. The 911 guys that never gave my Cayman a second look actually turned their nose up when I pulled in with the C8. About 70% were interested in taking a closer look at the car. The others just ignored that it was parked next to them. I do understand that there are Porsche Guys and then there are Corvette Guys and rarely do they mix well.

The 3LT interior is as good as what you will find in a Porsche. Although it is larger than the Cayman it drives much smaller than it’s actual size. Each car has it’s strengths and weaknesses but both are wonderful to drive and have fun with.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (09-06-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,451 Likes on 2,358 Posts

If it only came with a stick...
Old 09-06-2021, 12:40 PM
Zoe
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi

Since this is a Porsche Forum I do expect a lot of flack for my thoughts but I really do like my C8. I have owned Corvettes for a lot longer than I have owned Porsche cars, This is the best Corvette that I have ever owned. It is much closer to my GTS than I thought it would be and my GTS was light years ahead of my 2015 Vette. I took it to our usual Porsche and Pancakes breakfast on Saturday morning. It was interesting to see the reaction from the members attending. The 911 guys that never gave my Cayman a second look actually turned their nose up when I pulled in with the C8. About 70% were interested in taking a closer look at the car. The others just ignored that it was parked next to them. I do understand that there are Porsche Guys and then there are Corvette Guys and rarely do they mix well.

The 3LT interior is as good as what you will find in a Porsche. Although it is larger than the Cayman it drives much smaller than it’s actual size. Each car has it’s strengths and weaknesses but both are wonderful to drive and have fun with.
I’ve got a 2018 Boxster GTS and a C8. Both are great cars, but overall the Corvette is better. If I had to keep only one it would be the Vette.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:26 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zoe
I’ve got a 2018 Boxster GTS and a C8. Both are great cars, but overall the Corvette is better. If I had to keep only one it would be the Vette.
It's really close for me, like I said much closer than I thought that it would be. My C7 Vette sat on the top of the lift for months at a time until the price of used Vettes increased so much that it made sense to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

There is certainly more technology in the C8 compared to the GTS. Both have BOSE sound systems but the Vette’s is much better. The seats in the C8 wrap around me better but the 18 ways are plusher. The V8 certainly sounds better than the Turbo 4 but the Cayman has more usable storage space front and rear and the visibility is much better in the Cayman. I think the PDK in Sport+ is just a little better than the DCT in Track, but… I have not been able to get the C8 on a track yet to verify. The GTS feels more nimble and quick where the Vette feels more powerful and fast. For me, each car has high marks and things that I wish that they had done differently. Even though I have owned Corvettes for over 40 years and this one is the best one yet, I’m still not sure that it has the same build quality of the Cayman. Only time will tell. I just feel very blessed to have these two in the the garage. Enjoy your cars!
Old 09-06-2021, 01:35 PM
Zoe
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
It's really close for me, like I said much closer than I thought that it would be. My C7 Vette sat on the top of the lift for months at a time until the price of used Vettes increased so much that it made sense to sell it for almost what I paid for it.

There is certainly more technology in the C8 compared to the GTS. Both have BOSE sound systems but the Vette’s is much better. The seats in the C8 wrap around me better but the 18 ways are plusher. The V8 certainly sounds better than the Turbo 4 but the Cayman has more usable storage space front and rear and the visibility is much better in the Cayman. I think the PDK in Sport+ is just a little better than the DCT in Track, but… I have not been able to get the C8 on a track yet to verify. The GTS feels more nimble and quick where the Vette feels more powerful and fast. For me, each car has high marks and things that I wish that they had done differently. Even though I have owned Corvettes for over 40 years and this one is the best one yet, I’m still not sure that it has the same build quality of the Cayman. Only time will tell. I just feel very blessed to have these two in the the garage. Enjoy your cars!

ive tracked them both extensively. 40 plus days each. For track use I much prefer the c8. It’s just more stable and confidence inspiring on a road course. The Porsche would be better for autocross. Surprisingly it’s not that much faster. The 4 pot 718 never got much love but damn it was fast on a track. Much faster than the older 6’s.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:20 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the information. I look forward to tracking my C8 soon. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that the GTS was matching the times of my ZL1 Camaro at Sebring. Maybe 40 years from now the 718 Turbo 4 models will be the cars that everyone wants. I won’t be around to see that happen but maybe one day they will receive the love that they deserve.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?