Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
How do you know that tracking your 987 wouldn’t LESSEN the risk of the engine failure? I don’t know, but neither do you. All I know is that there are a lot of those cars being tracked with no engine failures. Mine is one of them. Over 10 years of regular dedicated track use, and that “inferior” engine still purrs like a Swiss....errr I mean a German watch.
My first Porsche was a new black 06 987.1 Boxster S which I sold after six years, 40k miles, 70+ track days (took me from Green to Black, half of those in Black), base suspension, all bone stock except for Nitto NT01 tires and only so that passed GT3's in Black didn't have to lift as much. No one told me about the IMS (lol!), just change fluids & brakes and drive. Not a drop of oil on the garage floor, nor ever added between oil changes. My mechanic later told me that the IMS likes to be wrung out to the rev limit often to keep the bearings lubricated.

My point is comparing one car to another in a track situation is way less about the car than the driver. Choose a car you like and go have fun. I love the Porsche brand. It has been an awesome car ownership experience over the past 30 years. I would be glad to track a car of another brand. So many fun cars out there!
+1
Drivers drive cars, not brands.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911dream (10-04-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I think that is a given regardless the layout, people will crash them.

I have driven/taught people how to drive a wide variety of cars on race tracks and the newer they get the harder it gets to crash them, that is all I am really saying. Combine that with an inherently stable design like a mid engine and my guess is it will be very balanced more so than the C7, my guess is it won’t allow most drivers to get to the point where they are spinning like a top.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Someone mentioned ADM on the new C8. Chevy will crank out as many of these as they can. They don't care about playing exclusivity games and false supply.

Would like to see side by side specs of the C8 and .2 GT3 ...
Old 07-22-2019, 09:40 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I contacted the dealer I bought my C7 from (twice - long story) and was told I would be notified as soon as they knew they would be getting one, which he expects around the start of the new year.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchellc
I suspect that the C8 Corvette will be a much more appealing offering internationally, and that Chevrolet prepared for this change by committing to RHD production for the first time in Corvette's history. This is a cool opportunity for an American-manufactured auto to have global cache. Here's hoping that after import duties and taxes on engine displacement, that the C8 remains competitive abroad.

I dug up a some quick and dirty sales numbers for Corvettes compared to other sports and supercars. These sources may be a bit dubious, but can show a directional comparison.

- Over the last five years, Corvette units for US and Canada have averaged ~30,000 annually, though 2018 showed a dip to 20.7k units (source: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevr...sales-numbers/)
- For 2018, Porsche shipped 35.5k 911s and 24.8k 718's in 2018 globally. (https://www.thesupercarblog.com/supe...ecord-numbers/)
- McLaren shipped 4806 units in 2018 (https://www.thesupercarblog.com/supe...ecord-numbers/)
- Lamborghini shipped 3989 non-Urus units in 2018 (https://www.thesupercarblog.com/supe...ecord-numbers/)
- Ferrari shipped 9251 units in 2018 (https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ferrari-r...n-2018-1988141)

These numbers are anecdotes rather than trends, but probably show the approximate market size for the high-power sport/supercar segment. Even though 2018 was a down year for Corvette compared to the prior four, in the US and Canada alone, more units were shipped than McLaren, Lamborghini, and Ferrari shipped combined (18.0k units)... worldwide.
Not the case - in Europe or Australasia - the GM products in Australia have always been junk - I hate to say this but its true. GM do not make quality products here and never did - they were so poor they eventually went bust in spite of the fact the Australian government kept throwing tax payers money into them. The only saving grace, which the US inherited was the chassis/suspension team that originated in Australia.

To put this in clear text - US cars other than in the US are considered total crap - how bad are they, the Mustang rated lower in the ANCAP testing than the Great Wall - UTE a vehicle that makes **** look good.

I'm glad GM made the C8 but frankly I think it will be like any other GM product.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,574 Likes on 4,181 Posts

Having now seen more photos of it from more views, I may have to retract my statement about generally liking the look. It's crazy busy with all kinds of angles and cut lines. The rear end looks like someone riced up a Camaro with as many different parts as they could bolt on.

Comparing this body design to those of similar mid-engine Ferraris, the latter have purposeful, but much more flowing designs, and there's really no comparison. The C7 vette shape was actually smoother and more flowing. I'll need to see one in person before making final judgment but I think they've alienated their core demographic with this new car, which isn't how you expand on a successful history. If they wanted to do this design they should have built it along with the current front engine platform and called it a new model with a different name than a corvette.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:58 AM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Ah gotcha. I did hear that the California dealers are charging adm as well. I can wait.
LOL the day you buy a vette is the day I'll buy another porsche. 👍
Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Read that the trans took almost as much work than the entire car itself to work out.

Dying to drive it. I've driven the **** out or a 2019 ZR1 and while it still has the old trans, it still feels like a mushy soft sloppy Chevy.

That p!sses me off to say because I'm a GM fan over Ford products but Maybe it's finally time this C8 will feel taut, tight and engineered like a Porsche.

We will see.... we will see.
Agree. Glad they put a bunch of effort into the trans, it was by far the weakest link of their recent products. It boggles my mind that people on CF still whine about wanting a slush box instead of a DCT. Clearly they have zero experience with a good automated trans.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jackmac
Get ready for the crazy ADM.....this is going to be the sad part. I am sure there will be good volume dealers but unlikely going to happen with launch model (especially in CA)
No ADM's from the big dealers. MSRP all the way. They know GM will make tons of these (as done in the past). From experience, most GM dealers do not markup their cars. Some that do have lost their core enthusiast base.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Good try with the title Rob, it's been moved like the others...
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by dewilmoth
Agree. Glad they put a bunch of effort into the trans, it was by far the weakest link of their recent products. It boggles my mind that people on CF still whine about wanting a slush box instead of a DCT. Clearly they have zero experience with a good automated trans.
Agree for the auto's- including not enough cooling on the C7, but the manual was just fine, and in fact very nice in my GS C7.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 107 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
How do you know that tracking your 987 wouldn’t LESSEN the risk of the engine failure? I don’t know, but neither do you. All I know is that there are a lot of those cars being tracked with no engine failures. Mine is one of them. Over 10 years of regular dedicated track use, and that “inferior” engine still purrs like a Swiss....errr I mean a German watch.
I don't. I do know people without a different oil pan, accusump, third radiator etc. had catastrophic engine failures at the track. I do know from peole who rebuilt motors, and had their motors rebuilt that the connecting rods Porsche used are forged, but cheap forged rods and they are a weak point in the motor. I do know people that spent +- $25,000 to have motors rebuilt used a lot of "better" parts than what the factory used and they shift at the track at a lower RPM even with the better parts because theywere stung once. I also know my financial situation and more importantly I know my wife's pain tolerance. What I don't know is how uncomfortable sleeping in the garage would be, and don't plan on risking it by taking a car with known issues (I know of at least 3 987.1 rebuilt motors, and I don't know 300, 200, and probably 100 Cayman owners so the 1% may be "fake news" for people who track their cars) on a race track and blowing the motor that costs more than the car is worth. My 987.1 purchase was an impulse buy when a friend traded it in. Had I known about the scoring I would have passed on the deal and bought another 944 for the track.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:41 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
Good try with the title Rob, it's been moved like the others...
All you can do is try buddy lol.
The following users liked this post:
Craigy (07-30-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:42 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Well it's interesting what other off topic brand and subject threads do stick around here though, take your pick. Yet the C8 one doesn't last a day. The action speaks for itself. Selective policing ...
As old as time, just like F1...
Old 07-22-2019, 10:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I am sure a manual will be offered at some point. I just hope the dct is good. I am pretty spoiled.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?