Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:05 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

For me it is about what I can make it do. I am getting older and though my skills behind the wheel have diminished there was a time I had offers to drive for pro teams. I am autistic, so I was not given a choice as to whether I feel emotion. I no more understand your emotional reactions than you can understand my reasoning for what I do. I never made it past the 8th grade but I have 100's (132 in the automotive area) of patients, and I like taking things apart and putting them back together, better (for my purposes) than they were before. I have a modified 991 C4S (with Alpin 4 winter tires), it's purpose it a winter fun car (it is in storage now), I have a modified AMG GTS, it is my German Muscle car. My 718 (gearshift car) well it is my good weather grocery getter. I have cars that I can give to valets, my dogs have their own transport vehicle, and I have a Range Rover Autobiography supercharged (and of course modified) that has Nokian snow tires, it is my snow car, only used in snow. (also in storage right now). All my cars have at least one purpose, and there are others that I did not mention (S Class Maserati GranTurismo MC and the other 2 Porsches) I am adding a few more (including the C8, 458, and maybe the new electric Porsche), I have been very lucky in life, and I am fortunate to have owned and built cars most people only dream about. I also make sure I give back to society, rather than just take up space in it. I realize for most of you, the idea of no emotional response to a car is probably hard to imagine. I lost count at 478 cars I have owned, maybe if I did have emotional responses, I probably would not have owned that many. Then again it is that reason that I am able to do what I have done, so I probably would have never been able to afford that many cars if I was not the way I am.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Carnut:
evilfij (07-22-2019), subshooter (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
It’ll beat the 718 GT4 manual version 0-60, and beat the PDK version 0-60 MPH by a lesser margin.

The Vette weighs 3366 lbs dry, so it probably weights around 3550-3600 wet (the way Porsche measures it). That’s 400+ lbs heavier than the GT4, or about 13%+ heavier than the GT4. That negates most of the horsepower advantage, and more so given historically German horses have been inexplicably stronger than American ones

I’d expect the PDK 718 GT4 to be just as quick or quicker than the Vette in longer acceleration runs like a 1/4 mile or accelerating through straights on track.

Will the Vette chassis be as agile, balanced, and well sorted as the GT4? I doubt that too.

The new Vette is great value for the money, but saying it’ll run circles around the GT4 is a stretch. It’s just geared for good 0-60 times.
You mention hp but forget torque. The corvette
has 470 whereas the GT4 has 309. I’m a GT4 and GT3 Owner and am not trolling this forum but facts are facts. This car should make Porsche start to think about their continued neutering the GT4. The current GT4 sucks as much as the last (not that it sucks but rather they still limit the car). The real GT4 will be the one with a real GT engine.

Someone on the GT3 forum reported a camo version of the vette bested the GT2 time ring time. I doubt it’s the base car that did this but likely a z car which will cost less than a stripper GT4
Old 07-21-2019, 08:30 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 420 Posts

It’ll beat the 718 GT4 manual version 0-60, and beat the PDK version 0-60 MPH by a lesser margin.

The Vette weighs 3366 lbs dry, so it probably weights around 3550-3600 wet (the way Porsche measures it). That’s 400+ lbs heavier than the GT4, or about 13%+ heavier than the GT4. That negates most of the horsepower advantage, and more so given historically German horses have been inexplicably stronger than American ones

I’d expect the PDK 718 GT4 to be just as quick or quicker than the Vette in longer acceleration runs like a 1/4 mile or accelerating through straights on track.

Will the Vette chassis be as agile, balanced, and well sorted as the GT4? I doubt that too.

The new Vette is great value for the money, but saying it’ll run circles around the GT4 is a stretch. It’s just geared for good 0-60 times.
Generally, I agree. But the LT2 engine's torque "curve" (more a flat than a curve) in conjunction with the 8 speed DCT is what allows its 3400 lb. mass to make sub 3.0 second 0-60 times. Not just the gears.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM
993NYS
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default This is entertaining

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Per Jeremy Clarkson, Corvette ownership needs chrome trousers. Having said that, this car looks great
I am loving this, watching the elitists here twist in the wind justifying their attitudes and purchases for $3000 door sills from the Germans. And to boot, come off like total condescending tools. One of the reasons I starting buying Corvettes again ...

The Corvette Team has been handing it to you for years now...at the track, at the race track, and in the sales totals. Get ready for even more...
The following 3 users liked this post by 993NYS:
handful (07-21-2019), Latitude34N (07-21-2019), porschedood5000 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 08:34 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wonder if a guy 6’3” and taller will fit? I’ve met guys that are 6’3” and some fit and some do not. I am 6’5” and can’t get into a C7 Vette....also Ferrari 458 and 488 I can’t fit into...not enough leg room...plus having a left leg that is a full prosthetic leg doesn’t help as it doesn’t bend like a human leg.

I fit really good in my 991 GT3
I am 6-4 and fit great into my C7 Z51. With my FIA-spec helmet, however, I would love about 1" more headroom. It's right...
Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

My only quibble so far (before tests/reviews and driving one) is that it should have been at least 300lb lighter. How does an aluminum + fiberglass 2-seater weigh 3600lbs? Where is all this weight coming from? I suggest they make a stripped out “RS” version or spend some research/$ to make the GS and Z versions lighter instead of just add more HP as usual. They could charge close to $100k for 300lbs less, easy, and still be a huge bargain.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:45 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I've never thought Vettes look bad, they just have always driven like a video game sitting in a barco-lounger, not a sports car. The C7 was better - I drove on at COTA for several laps - but still not great.

I'd be the C8 is even better though with the much lower profile nose, cab slightly up. I'm guessing the road feel is better - can't wait to try it out. If the steering and feel improves could definitely be a big deal, they've always had plenty of power.
+1
I only wish the C8 was 300lbs lighter. 3600lb is a lot for an aluminum + fiberglass 2-seater. We’ll see how it drives/feels which is what matters to me the most.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
You mention hp but forget torque. The corvette
has 470 whereas the GT4 has 309. I’m a GT4 and GT3 Owner and am not trolling this forum but facts are facts. This car should make Porsche start to think about their continued neutering the GT4. The current GT4 sucks as much as the last (not that it sucks but rather they still limit the car). The real GT4 will be the one with a real GT engine.

Someone on the GT3 forum reported a camo version of the vette bested the GT2 time ring time. I doubt it’s the base car that did this but likely a z car which will cost less than a stripper GT4

There's is also the factor of incredibly short gearing in the vette.....
Old 07-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Putting a deposit (refundable) down for a build. Waiting for full reviews and pricing, but if it keeps with only running about $5K more than a outgoing C7 base, a Z51, 3LT, full leather, magnetic suspension, upgraded wheels, plus a few other goodies will set you back apx $85K.

This car may be a real game changer for Detroit and I’ve been hoping for years that we could produce a car that I wanted buy and not make excuses for. The only thing that remains to be seen for me after the reviews is the interior quality which was a sore point even in the C7. I don’t care if it’s not as exclusive as a 911xxx. I live in Mich, and I like to support my local economy. Who cares if they will be as common as C7’s soon enough, this car looks seriously bad*ss and will have the performance to match from what I’ve read so far. I love the fact it is NA with more than enough power.

Detroit has always had the engineering and manufacturing ability to build a world class car that can compete with anything made but has chosen not to due to marketing. This may change that equation.

My 18’ GTS may be for sale soon

Last edited by Nm2far; 07-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Craigy (07-30-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:30 AM
993NYS
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Official Uniform included with Purchase. 🤣

the official photo of Porsche Douche Bags

Google that...the pages are limitless
The following users liked this post:
flgfish (07-28-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

New C8.. meh.

I was on track to get a C7 Grand Sport. After researching the car I learned about the huge list of problems the C7 has in general + a separate list-o-problems specific to the Grandsport.
GM is THE WORST CAR COMPANY on the earth. They're just stringing everyone along 'till the Warranty's expire.
I think the C7 is great looking car, but I would never buy one until the aftermarket fixes all the known issues.

The C8 might look good, but IMHO will likely be another GM POS the company will resist fixing under Warranty. I'd keep one very dubious eye on the C8 for an extended perioud before buying one.
GM does not have a good track record when it comes to implementing new tech in cars. There's two biggies in the C8.. the mid-engine and the dual clutch.

After researching both the C7 and the C8, discovered the Porsche Cayman checked all the boxes for me.
If the C8 turns out to be half the POS I predict it'll be, Porsche will see a surge in Cayman sales and the value of a used Cayman is going to spike.

If this means Porsche will unleash more power on the Cayman, all the better.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by 993NYS
I am loving this, watching the elitists here twist in the wind justifying their attitudes and purchases for $3000 door sills from the Germans. And to boot, come off like total condescending tools. One of the reasons I starting buying Corvettes again ...

The Corvette Team has been handing it to you for years now...at the track, at the race track, and in the sales totals. Get ready for even more...
Lol 😂 seriously most of us here are cheering the C8 on. Why wouldn't we be.

But by the same token in a ROW perspective they are late to the party and well behind the times. There is nothing new or innovative about this car.

Its great that it's out there and it will certainly be looked at by other manufacturers particularly from the value engineering perspective.

Would I suddenly swap out my 720s or RS for this, short answer no - am I glad they made this, yes of course the more competition the better.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Just for kicks looked up a 991 GT3 RS. MSRP is $188k an the residuals on their lease is $84k for 42 months. Does anyone here really think a GT3 RS will only be worth that in 3.5 years? I wish.
True, but try buying a GT3RS for $188K. I have a long term relationship with a local Porsche dealer, and when I expressed interest in a GT3RS, he told me that they had an allocation and because I was a long term customer, he was willing to reduce the ADM to $20K for me.

I agree that no GT3RS will depreciate that much in 3.5 years, but how many GT3RSs will have 35K miles on the odometer in 3.5 years? I just did a search on Car Gurus, and there are many GT3Rs for sale. I saw three 2016s with just 200 mikes, and most of the rest were in the 1K - 2K range. Only one car had a whopping 12K miles, but that was on a 2011. I then did a search on Corvettes within 500 miles of my zip code, and not surprisingly the mileage on these cars were relatively high: the majority were between 20K and 45K miles. I only saw one Corvette with low mileage, 9K miles on a 2011, and he was asking $29K for that car. It was listed with the 1LT package which is the lowest priced Corvette model. So in 2011 I expect the MSRP for that car was in the low $40Ks, and like most Corvettes it probably was discounted by around 10%. I have no idea what this Vette will sell for, but if it's for anywhere near asking, not much depreciation on a 8 year old car.

Bottom line is that one of the key reasons that Porsches retain their value is because of their low mileage. A typical 911 owner does not use his Porsche as his DD, whereas many if not not most Corvette owners drive their cars daily. So of course Corvettes in general will not retain their value as well as low mileage Porsches.

To get back to your point about the projected ownership costs between the C8 and GT4 being comparable, I agree provided that the owners drive their cars in a typical manner: garage queens vs DD. BTW I checked Car Gurus for GT4s for sale in my area and they listed three 2016s with mileage between 3k and 6K.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 420 Posts

Wasn't aware this will be Chevy's first vehicle to utilize full CAN bus architecture, and hadn't heard about the rear hatch glass cracking with high-horsepower model testing. I assume this high-horsepower model was similar to or the same as the one in the video posted from night testing at Sebring a few months ago. It didn't sound like a 6.2 LT1 engine. Sounded more like a flat-plane crank engine.

https://www.motor1.com/news/313178/m...paign=msn-feed

"Last week Corvettedealers in the U.S.opened up pre-order formsfor the mid-engined Corvette. That means there's a reason to believe the new C8 could show up sooner than expected – even after delays. But now a new report suggests that there's a reason the long-awaited ‘Vettes delay in the first place: the platform.

The mid-engined Corvette is Chevy's first vehicle with a fully "electrical architecture," notes Hagerty's Don Sherman in a new report after speaking with multiple sources. But it won't be the last. Each vehicle on this electrical architecture moving forward is loaded with more than 100 computer modules, allowing them to communicate on a Computer Area Network, or CAN. Engineers are reportedly still working out the bugs on this advanced new architecture.

The second major issue, according to Sherman, is distortion of the aluminum spaceframe. During testing of C8 prototypes with the 900- (671-kilowatt) to 1,000-horsepower (745-kilowatt) V8 equipped, engineers cracked the glass on the rear hatch. The third issue is one with styling; engineers reportedly have to rein in designers in certain regards."

Last edited by okie981; 07-21-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am 6-4 and fit great into my C7 Z51. With my FIA-spec helmet, however, I would love about 1" more headroom. It's right...
What is your inseam? Maybe shorter legs and longer torso? Wasn't even close for me to get in.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?