Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Well it's interesting what other off topic brand and subject threads do stick around here though, take your pick. Yet the C8 one doesn't last a day. The action speaks for itself. Selective policing ...
Correct; the new Corvette is evidently of interest to people on this forum (based on the activity in that thread).

Wonder why it got moved but the McLaren thread gets to stay?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Will look odd when you open the door and the front edge of the side scoop comes with it.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,840 Likes on 2,868 Posts

It really amazes me how much better SOME cars look after it has been modded.
IMO this new Vette looks pretty awesome.
Not sure what was done to it but looks to be a far cry from the stock body.

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Big Swole (07-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Funny how different geographical have different meaning for unique cars because I see a Porsche every street corners in Honolulu but I rarely ever seen a new Vette around town. Vette is more rare than 911 in my little county Kaka’ako Hawai’i.
I see few of either on the streets around here. I know there are a fair number of both that show up at car meets, but apparently they are mostly garage queens. I count the cars I see going in the opposite direction on my way to work and 70% are SUVs or huge pickup trucks. The rest are mostly Camrys and Accords. Even common "high performance" cars, like Mustangs or BMWs are rare.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Correct; the new Corvette is evidently of interest to people on this forum (based on the activity in that thread).

Because if GM really executes on the C8 and it’s higher performing future models, a P-car is going to be a much harder sell.

I love my 991.2 GT3 and love my C6 ZR1. I think (and know) my GT3 is superior in most ways, but I don’t know if my GT3 or even the 992 GT3 is going to hang with the ZO6/ZR1 versions of the C8 with alleged hybrid and TT DOHC V8 powertrains.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

You guys are pathetic. If this car had a Ford GT badge, or any European or Japanese badge you would be creaming your jeans.

Whining about weight estimated to be 3,600 lbs, whining about production of a car that hasn't yet started. Hello, the assembly line (yes it is built on an assembly line designed to produce hundreds of cars a day unlike Porsche or McLaren) has to be retooled, and if production it starts two months later so bugs are worked out quit whining and be glad GM isn't rushing it to production so people who wouldn't buy it anyway don't have internet forum fodder.

Reliability keep whining about how GM is shyt, but Porsche with the IMS, RMS, and cylinder scoring with motors that cost about $25,000 and Porsche telling owners to pound sand is great! Let's look in the mirror before we bash the competition I don't HPDE my 40,000 mile 987.1 because a motor costs more than the car is worth. Now that says a lot for Porsche. As "great" as my Cayman is, it is practically useless if I can't HPDE it, and instead HPDE a 128i because it is less likely to grenade itself. A $5,000 C4 would kick my Cayman's butt on the track for the simple reason it can be flogged without fear of grenading itself. Proof everything Porsche is the greatest!

When you stop whining like little kids munch on these numbers. And compare what will be a $70,000 C8 ZR1 to a base 911, base 718 and any other $70,000 car instead of something that costs $40,000 more.

McLaren weight
McLaren 600LT: Less weight, more power and a longer tail
...McLaren shaved 211.6 pounds over the 570S Coupe in creating the 600LT, but...
No word on pricing yet, but it's best to get in line now if a regular 570S Coupe feels a little too heavy (and short-tailed) for your tastes. Expect to pay a premium over the $190,000 starting price of the 570S.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ected-feature/
...McLaren reports a dry weight of 2895 pounds for the 570S. Curb weight should reach a tidy 3100 pounds by the time the car is properly fueled, cooled, and lubricated. If that number proves accurate, the 570S will weigh in roughly 500 pounds lighter than the four-wheel-drive 911 Turbo S.
So 3,100 plus 500 is 3,600 which means the C8 would weigh as much as a 911 Turbo S.
The price of a ZR1 would be at least $100,000 less than a McLaren 570 but weigh 500 bounds more. That's about $2,000 a pound. Happy whining. Whining helps mitigate buyers remorse. I am admitting buyers remorse and trying to figure out what I can sell the 987.1 CS for and wondering how long it will be before my cousin's GM employee discounts can get me into a no option ZR1, and if I can learn to drive an automatic at my old age.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tom R.:
Craigy (07-30-2019), DIYDanCars (07-30-2019), GT4John (07-21-2019), Noah Fect (07-22-2019), SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:51 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It looks ok. Still too busy and too "Hot Wheels" and not in a good way. It's designed to appeal the NASCAR hillbilly redneck type who wear TapOut and Fox Racing and Monster Energy Drink clothing and who punch holes in drywall when they get angry. They're the ones sitting around drinking Coors with their buddies talking about how it'd be "like wicked ****in' cool to get a new Vette, I tell you whut!"

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them. I'm sure it will be "fast." I'm sure I won't want one. Never have liked Corvettes or Camaros unless we're talking something classic/vintage. My cousin has two super nice classic Stingrays. And I'd love to own a '68 Camaro. But definitely not any of the newer ones.
This is pure garbage. What the F is wrong with you???
The following users liked this post:
Latitude34N (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

Porsche marketing dept isn't worried about them? The Vette poses the value proposition much better at 4 banger zingy turbo 718 pricing.
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Nice job giving the Vette forums something to bash Porsche guys over ... I'd rather be drinking a Coors with "them" ... more down to earth and genuine folks I'm sure. Would rather punch holes in drywall (or bang my head against a wall) than listen to guys bragging about how many watches, cars, houses, etc ... they have
Quite accurate. I was tracking a ZL1 Camaro for a short time. Destroying Porsche drivers. They'd turn their nose up at me in the paddock. Now I'm tracking an RS. They actually converse with me now.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,009 Posts

All the various brands add value, as many here have multiple cars/brands and we’re all gear heads who cares. If some don’t like it don’t read them it’s pretty simple.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:07 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

The main thing that strikes me about the new Vette is their total departure from the heritage look of the body. No one has kept a semblance of this heritage better than the 911 over its history, but the Vette always had a sense that this was still a Corvette. I am very on the fence as far as this new mid engine design goes. My initial knee jerk reaction is that something just looks off. I think what is bothering me is the distance from the start of the B pillar to the Tail. If I was designing this car I would have extended the side window back further so the rear would be more balanced with the rest of the car and did not seem so long and bulbus.
Big Swole (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:10 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Well it's interesting what other off topic brand and subject threads do stick around here though, take your pick. Yet the C8 one doesn't last a day. The action speaks for itself. Selective policing ...
Edit. Not worth it.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:18 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by sigar
Exactly. Drive a Porsche you look like a ***** attorney. Drive a vette you look middle class going through a mid-life crisis. I am neither and yet I drive both Porsches and Vettes. Life is too short to care what others think about you. Have fun.
As a four decade owner of 911s, I have had the pleasure of meeting numerous 911 owners, and I believe that most people would be surprised at how many 911 owners also own a Corvette. That's why I find the stereotypes so humorous. I also met lots of Corvette owners at various DE events, and I quickly learned that contrary to commonly held opinion, there is no correlation between the car owned and the wealth of the owner. I met lots and lots of Corvette owners who could easily afford GT Porsche models, but they nevertheless bought Corvettes. A good example is my youngest son's father in law. My son told me that his fiance's father and I should have a lot in common since we both love sports cars. I was later to find out that he owned two ZR1s: one for himself and the other for his wife. It was only later that I would find that he also owned a MB SL500, an Audi S8, and a Chevy truck. He has a three car garage, and when I visited him to finalize the wedding plans, the Vettes were on lifts in his garage. He has a 5000 sq ft home on a three acre estate which I'd estimate is valued in the $1.5 - $2M range.

So next time you see some guy driving a Corvette, don't jump to the conclusion that he's just a middle class guy who can't afford a Porsche. That may be the case but it may also be the case that he could buy a 918 if he wanted one.
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:20 PM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

disclaimer-I was never a fan of the manual clutch because of the lack of feedback during spirited acceleration. You could be slipping/burning your cluch or be in the sweetspot,. Hard to tell unless you were way out of bounds.

Anyway, driving around wine country roads with a g50, you never leave 3rd gear. In 2nd the rpms are too high and in 4th they are too low and the engine luggs. You could do a 3 hour loop and never leave 3rd gear except for the rare red light. So much for being one with the machine.

Try daily driving in San Francisco with a manual. I'm sure there are outliers, but its no fun. (PDK ftw)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:20 PM
ltomn
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
It looks ok. Still too busy and too "Hot Wheels" and not in a good way. It's designed to appeal the NASCAR hillbilly redneck type who wear TapOut and Fox Racing and Monster Energy Drink clothing and who punch holes in drywall when they get angry. They're the ones sitting around drinking Coors with their buddies talking about how it'd be "like wicked ****in' cool to get a new Vette, I tell you whut!"

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them. I'm sure it will be "fast." I'm sure I won't want one. Never have liked Corvettes or Camaros unless we're talking something classic/vintage. My cousin has two super nice classic Stingrays. And I'd love to own a '68 Camaro. But definitely not any of the newer ones.
This is my personal image of the Corvette owner! I understand there are all types that belong to the club of Corvette ownership. President of GM, Mark Reuss, personally owns a 1962 C1. Last model year of the first model. All types own Corvettes, just as there is a Coors drinker in the Porsche club.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?