Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 04:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,448 Likes on 4,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I see few of either on the streets around here. I know there are a fair number of both that show up at car meets, but apparently they are mostly garage queens. I count the cars I see going in the opposite direction on my way to work and 70% are SUVs or huge pickup trucks. The rest are mostly Camrys and Accords. Even common "high performance" cars, like Mustangs or BMWs are rare.
I was speaking for me personally only, not about 911s vs Corvette's in general. I have the cars I do partly because of the unique aspect of them and doubt you've seen too many RUF 997s, supercharged 928 convertibles, or widebody Cayennes around your neck of the woods. At half the price of a similarly performing Porsche those new Corvettes will be everywhere in no time. Great for GM if that's the case as when you come out with a complete departure from your tried and true recipe for success, it better be a homerun. It took them a long time to get the cooling right on the new car though and I'm betting it may not be just yet because of that, but they couldn't delay the release any longer.

I actually think it's decent looking with similarities to a 458 Italia and the current NSX, but there's only so much you can do with cab-forward, mid-engine design language, and probably the reason for the similarities. I still think the Ford GT is far more unique looking, but also what 4x-5x the price.

Just like Coke did, I also predict about 2 years from now GM will re-release the the C7 Corvette as the Vette Classic vs the new mid-engine one or a limited edition run of a front-engined Corvette to get all that money from the old Corvette faithful who don't want to embrace the new car, but want a new Vette.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:29 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Nice job giving the Vette forums something to bash Porsche guys over ... I'd rather be drinking a Coors with "them" ... more down to earth and genuine folks I'm sure. Would rather punch holes in drywall (or bang my head against a wall) than listen to guys bragging about how many watches, cars, houses, etc ... they have
that makes a least two us.

Last edited by tgibrit; 07-21-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems most are taking a measured approach to the C8. Don't understand the need/desire of some to crap all over the car, particularly before we even have any info about how it drives. Yes, the movement to mid-engine is undoubtedly a big change that poses understandable questions, perhaps doubts, about reliability on the early cars, but as noted above there has been a long gestation period bringing this car to market. Time appears to have been taken to work out bugs and kinks. Instead of rushing the thing into dealerships, they took some time. Seems to me this approach should be applauded and not faulted.

Did they nail everything down 100%? Who knows at this point. Time will tell. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. If it turns out they didn't, then crap on it all you want -- at that time. But for now, all we know is we've got a new entry in the high-performance mid-engine sportscar category starting around $60K. That alone is cause for celebration because the world can't have enough of these types of cars at this price point. And added competition in this segment makes everyone else step up their game, to the advantage of all of us, as others have noted.

Any bashing of this car at such an early stage is a bad look for Porsche folks IMO. Makes us look insecure, close-minded, and eager to jump to premature conclusions before any real-world evidence is in. It also feeds and plays into the negative image many Vette guys have of Porsche guys. We're better than that. Not saying ya gotta love it. Simply saying give it a chance and let's see how things play out.
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:42 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a C6 ZR1 and a 991.2 GT3 in the garage. I like them both. Hell, I just bought a ‘19 Raptor two days ago, first Ford ever. It’s pretty damn nice. I’m a car guy and I drink Coors and Miller Lite mostly.

I’ll be buying one of the TT Hi-Po C8 models down the road. Not so sure I’ll be that interested in the 992 GT3, but I’ll reserve judgement.

I’ve met cool P-car track guys and cool Vette track guys. Met more a**hat P-car owners overall though. Money is too important to them and they liking talking about their material possessions too much. I like going fast and having fun personally.

Anyway, really enjoy most of you Rennlist guys because you’re just car enthusiasts, a lot of track junkies, and appreciate all marques if they build a good one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quikag:
SFZ GT3 (08-04-2019), thebishman (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 125 Posts

Small blocks can be revved past 10,000 without batting an eyelash. Watch a NASCAR race sometime (if you can stomach it).

As for architecture, I'd rather have the BB LS7 than any Ferrari (488 Pista shown). The Chevy small block is a known quantity that has now been developed for over 60 years. The BB cousin shares a lot of the architecture and is a savage engine.

As a value play, a Corvette cannot be touched. That's what makes it so interesting and not being a car-snob I find the competition refreshing.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Flame away, I've got thick skin!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Not knocking it. The LS is the most advanced push rod engine ever developed. Also back in my youth I built small block Chevy motors. ( 1st. Gen). I was a Ford guy and always cheered anything Ford in competition, but for affordable and winning drag racing, no contest. Cheap and plentiful parts, easy build and shared knowledge ( long before the Internet.). Point being other than displacement per # and physically small size versus displacement that's about it. Don't see smaller displacement turbo push rod engines being developed. So, the LS is great, but not a marvel of efficiency.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:08 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Nice job giving the Vette forums something to bash Porsche guys over ... I'd rather be drinking a Coors with "them" ... more down to earth and genuine folks I'm sure. Would rather punch holes in drywall (or bang my head against a wall) than listen to guys bragging about how many watches, cars, houses, etc ... they have
Good. I own zero houses.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:20 PM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL at all of the virtue signalers falling all over themselves to take the bait. Step back and read your own comments. See the bias in your own “perception.”

Oh, and seriously, guzzling Coors or Miller (or driving a Vette) doesn’t make you any more real or down to earth, or credible.
FourT6and2 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Because if GM really executes on the C8 and it’s higher performing future models, a P-car is going to be a much harder sell.
Its the first Vette I’d even think about buying.
If it goes and stops I’ll think harder.
If then it ever comes out with a stick it’ll be take my money time.
never thought I’d be typing those words.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

I think it's a terrific effort on GM's part. Yeah, I can complain about the mass and size but without a doubt, it'll perform despite these issues. At a price point of under $60k, it'll be the bargain of the century also as long as the quality is better than standard GM. IMO, this is exactly where GM needed to take the Vette.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:46 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Because if GM really executes on the C8 and it’s higher performing future models, a P-car is going to be a much harder sell.

I love my 991.2 GT3 and love my C6 ZR1. I think (and know) my GT3 is superior in most ways, but I don’t know if my GT3 or even the 992 GT3 is going to hang with the ZO6/ZR1 versions of the C8 with alleged hybrid and TT DOHC V8 powertrains.
Originally Posted by STG
Porsche marketing dept isn't worried about them? The Vette poses the value proposition much better at 4 banger zingy turbo 718 pricing.
Originally Posted by Maverick787
All the various brands add value, as many here have multiple cars/brands and we’re all gear heads who cares. If some don’t like it don’t read them it’s pretty simple.
Completely agree with the above comments.

It’s all speculative commentary at this point, since the 992 isn’t on sale yet in the US and none of us have driven the C8 yet either.

If the C8 adheres to historical Corvette ownership experiences - magazine numbers, build quality, driving experience, resale, etc. - then European brands will be fine because they will offer a different proposition to customers.

But IF the C8 really delivers, a lot of people will be more discerning toward their European marques of choice if they feel they aren’t receiving value for their outlay.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:51 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

The C8R sounds really good...
Napoli (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I was reading a vette forum yesterday. Guys were complaining that they would never pay msrp for a Vette, because that was what dealers were charging. lol
Hey Rob the fact of the matter is that many dealers will add ADM, especially here in Colorado. The Corvette Forum dealers will charge MSRP and they are the biggest volume dealers.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:12 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

GM has made promises before and failed to deliver, mostly due to cheap components and poor quality control. So I wonder at that price can it be for real? I hope so, because I like the looks and the initial performance numbers look great. I wouldn't look forward to dealing with a Chevrolet service department but then again my local Porsche dealer hasn't hit a home run every time lately. Either way, kudos to GM for making such a bold move while keeping the price down.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?