Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Ok - I have to say what you have been told is bunkum ��. I own a 720s which is lighter more powerful, with excellent aero and one of the best all round suspension set ups in a modern sports car. It's a fantastic car and yet to out do the GT2 RS would require some changes that would alter the character of the car. In terms of track i much prefer my 991II GT3 RS.

As a general comment, the comments here are interesting given there is quite s lot of choice in the mid-engined space. Alfa 4c, Alpine, various Lotus, Cayman / Spyder, various Mclaren, various Ferrari, various Lamborghini. So there is something at every price point.
True but this thing offers tremendous value and sexiness and comfort/performance/technology that is unique with its n/a v8 at 495 hp and a modern 8 spd dual clutch transmission at a very good price point.

It's a little odd that the C8 is getting so much interest in this subforum, and it's likely because most members here appreciate engineering and performance and can spot a special local optimum...

Not sure how it could get to GT2RS times with its current power plant, I would discount that little piece of info. The Z51 package is not hardcore enough, maybe a next iteration with more power and dedicated setup will...
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I am calling it right now, guys. White is the best color for this car, with black wheels. Yeah, I know. lol
The following 2 users liked this post by robmypro:
Craigy (07-30-2019), mr965 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:40 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, sort of depends what you mean by "interested" in this context. Am I interested in its engineering, how it performs, what it means for the storied model and its history? Absolutely. Am I interested in owning one...well, less so.

I'm pretty sure this thing is gonna howl. It'll probably handle like it's on rails too. And it looks likely to just absolutely shatter everything on the market from a performance per dollar standpoint. I wouldn't be surprised if it embarrasses a lot of supercars.

But.......what's my left foot gonna do?

I get it. The CDC (That's PDK in English for a Chevy) is a way better transmission. And it's not like they're alone; everybody's killing off the stick shift. But it's a crucial part of the driving experience for me.

Starting to look entirely possible that my 997.2 is the last gas car I'll own. If not, the next one is likely to be something completely ridiculous that still retains a manual (R8 comes to mind). If they decide to come out with a purist version of the Vette that includes a manual, it will be part of that conversation. But by then there will likely be at least a couple impressive electric options vying for my attention. If I'm going to give up shifting, I'm likely to decide the sound can go along with it.

As you may have noticed, this is entirely idiosyncratic. If you already made your peace with PDK, I really don't see a lot to dislike about this car, aside from, ah...cultural factors like MBTS raised above.
The following 3 users liked this post by HLCinCOU:
Big Swole (07-21-2019), MexicoBlueTurboS (07-20-2019), TV911 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by catdog2
True but this thing offers tremendous value and sexiness and comfort/performance/technology that is unique with its n/a v8 at 495 hp and a modern 8 spd dual clutch transmission at a very good price point.

It's a little odd that the C8 is getting so much interest in this subforum, and it's likely because most members here appreciate engineering and performance and can spot a special local optimum...

Not sure how it could get to GT2RS times with its current power plant, I would discount that little piece of info. The Z51 package is not hardcore enough, maybe a next iteration with more power and dedicated setup will...
Agreed in the ROW the mid-engined two seater is a niche within a niche - for example I couldn't see some one that owns a Lotus 430 Cup that weighs 2200lbs (430HP) swapping out to DCT 3700lb corvette e.g. a buyer that wants light - weight total - engagement or alternatively someone on a budget that wants nimble e.g. Alpine. In the ROW its quite a crowded niche within a niche market - US less so
Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Revised spec...

Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
I am calling it right now, guys. White is the best color for this car, with black wheels. Yeah, I know. lol
Ummm, that config is a clone of your GT3...
Old 07-20-2019, 09:47 PM
GoKart Mozart
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bk_911
I ruled out the z06 when I heard they go into limp mode after track use. They supposedly mitigated that but didn't solve it for the C7. That kind of thing is what worries me about the C8. I'm sure some smart guys will point out 3rd gear and strut tower issues. But the 981 can still track all day in summer heat without missing a beat.

The other concern I have is the bespoke tremec dual clutch.

Lastly - the ride height. One of the things I love about the Gt4 is how well it handles moon surface norcal back roads. I'm worried the C8's would scrape a lot since it's so low.

But honestly I love the look at the car and the value is hard to argue with. Is the porsche name / handling and quality worth another 40k? not sure
I agree and those are the same reasons I prefer a Porsche over a Vette. So to answer your question, if it (name/quality/handling) is worth another $40k?...... probably not, if you look at pure purchasing cost, which is why I said, don't let the lower MSRP fool you. In the end the delta of owning a GT4 versus a Vette is far lower, and at that point it is worth it 100%

Originally Posted by fast1
But you can't disregard the initial price for the cars when considering the cost to own. With the exorbitant prices that Porsche charges for options, a conservative estimate would be that a well equipped GT4 will cost around $50K more than a well equipped C8, and that's assuming you can get one at MSRP. The three Porsche dealers in my area are all requesting a minimum $10K ADM for the GT4, whereas all the large Corvette dealers are selling at MSRP. So that $50 - $60K (with ADM) is the starting point. The $60K can be invested in a good mutual fund which will probably average 7% per year over three years. So that's around $13K over three years. Then add in the maintenance costs for 3 years, and I would expect that the GT4 will cost a minimum of $1K more than a C8 to maintain. Finally Corvettes don't retain their value as well as Porsches, especially GT cars, but if the total miles driven over 3 years would be identical for both cars, the total depreciation dollars lost will be similar for both cars.
Obviously just speculation, but I would expect the GT4 three year ownership costs over the C8 to be in the $12K - $14K range, when everything is considered.
No, I can't disagree that the purchase price is to be considered, and you are probably close with your calculations on cost of ownership. The only thing I would disagree with, or not bank on, is the 7% return ROI. I'm no expert in that field, but my guess is that for a 7% return I would have to take some risk, which also could net a loss. A CD, or any other secure investment, will no doubt give a lower ROI. At any rate, all things considered, the Vette will likely cost a bit less to own over a few years, but nowhere near what the purchase price would suggest, which was my point (see first reply in this post).
And while I also agree that Porsche charges exorbitant amounts for options, the price on a Vette will shoot up significantly if you click all the boxes.

Just a quick real world example. A friend of mine bought a C7 Grand Sport 2 years ago. He paid around $75k for it. Today he'd probably get Low $50's for it if he had to sell, and in another 1-2 years I'm guessing his car might be worth $45k, making it about $30k depreciation in 3-4 years. At that age point, which is where I bought my GT4, the going rate was about $10k under MSRP, which is $20k less depreciation than the Vette. That is a lot, no mater how you slice it.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:48 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am very excited about the C8 for multiple reasons! The first off is that the want is strong, very strong. I love my Boxster S a lot, but I definitely see one of these in my future. I normally steer way clear of launch year cars, but wow, the looks, the specs... wow! If it test drives even half as well as it looks, I'm going to have a hard time resisting the temptation.

The other is because Chevy overnight depreciated the 981 GTS I've been lusting after (and pretty much every late model Porsche) $10-15k. Because who will want to buy a used Cayman for $55k when they could have a brand new 500hp C8 for $60k? It GTS prices drop to $30-35k, I'll have a hard time not instantly pulling the trigger the first Boxster GTS I see with the right go-fast options. (Speaking of which, if you have a 981 Boxster GTS with PDK, Sport Chrono, nd PTV you're thinking of selling soon, PM me!)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Welp... Just Spec'd my C8 to look almost identical to my Cayman GT4. Blue, Yellow Calipers, Buckets with Yellow stitching. Carbon Fiber accents. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Z51 Package with the CF Aero Package.
Michelin® PS4 Performance 3 Season tires.
Performance exhaust and intake adds 495 horsepower

Typical GM. They build it and everybody will buy it. PS4s and 495 hp add-on with extras. LOL
Old 07-20-2019, 09:59 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not a Corvette buyer and this one probably won't change that, but man this thing looks so much better than I had expected. Looks way better than the 720S IMHO. Can't wait to see what people do with this. With some wheels and visual mods this thing could look amazing. And thankfully they no longer offer chrome wheels.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

Will look odd when you open the door and the front edge of the side scoop comes with it.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,353 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I'm still waiting for someone to try feeding a S/C motor with a turbo - it's been done on aircraft since WWII.

-Mike
My sister in Germany used to own a VW Golf that had both, a S/C with a turbo in a street car. Does that count? LOL
Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

@HLCinCOU Perception is everything.
The following users liked this post:
HLCinCOU (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
@HLCinCOU Perception is everything.
Well it's certainly something. But I've always been more of a "reality is reality; perception is just how we perceive it" sort of guy. Coldly rational, as long as we aren't talking about transmissions or soft tops
Old 07-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 288 Posts

This is 99% of the spec I turned in this morning. Only one at local dealer to commit so far.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?