Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 12:19 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Car been NA should help, plenty of venting on top as well as the back. Not a skeleton like a P1 but for 495hp NA it should suffice.

Look at the surface area for the various radiators that the C8 has, and the ones that the Z51 package is supposed to add. More total radiator surface area with clean air than the old C7 Z51 with about 30 more HP. Maybe you are thinking ahead about the Z06/ZR1 which will have forced induction, I could see thermal issues with that particular package.

As far as your argument goes torque limited 4.0 that will have about 300lb/ft of torque vs 475lb/ft of torque with about 250lbs of more weight than the GT4, easy choice for me.
The GT4 is 3130 lbs wet with sofa seats and iron brakes, around 3060 lbs with buckets and PCCB. The Corvette will be around 3550-3600 wet without Z51, and likely more than that in Z51 and with upgraded interior. The C8 is around 500 lbs heavier than the GT4, not 250.

The power to weight ratio isn’t that different between a GT4 and Corvette C8. Sure, the torque is higher, but it only revs to 6600 instead of 8000. A school bus makes much more low end torque than the C8 - does that make it better to drive?
The following users liked this post:
TheMystro (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:35 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
The GT4 is 3130 lbs wet with sofa seats and iron brakes, around 3060 lbs with buckets and PCCB. The Corvette will be around 3550-3600 wet without Z51, and likely more than that in Z51 and with upgraded interior. The C8 is around 500 lbs heavier than the GT4, not 250.

The power to weight ratio isn’t that different between a GT4 and Corvette C8. Sure, the torque is higher, but it only revs to 6600 instead of 8000. A school bus makes much more low end torque than the C8 - does that make it better to drive?
The comparison is between a 718 GT4 with PDK for reference, not the 981 GT4. 8spd DCT vs the 7spd PDK, the gearing on the DCT will be better relative to the PDK. I have read that the curb weight for the 718 GT4 with the 6 speed manual is about 3200lbs, expecting the PDK to add about 40-50 lbs if not more due to the extra cooling necessary for the PDK for real track duty.

I guess we will have to wait for trap speeds in the 1/4 mile as well as ET's. If you want to do apples to apples comparison it might require a yet to be announced Z07 package with CCB's and other goodies as well as seats that will be comparable to the CF bucket seats on the GT4.

In regards to torque, depending on the track layout, having more available torque down low that the car can put down helps a lot when coming out of the slow corners, tire sizes 285 vs 305. The e-diff vs the traditional diff on the PDK that has been offered on the 718 cars will also make a difference in available traction.

Besides the engine been a not so stellar achievement on the C8, the C8 has a better suspension than the GT4, double wishbones vs struts. MRC vs PASM.

Some folks are caught up only about a single parameter instead of looking at the overall package.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 07-26-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: CCB instead of PCCB's. typos
Old 07-26-2019, 12:39 PM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
To further stand on that point. How the hell does GM get so little HP from a 6.2L V8 in today’s world?
For a sports car, IMO engine power/weight and power/size are more important than power/displacement.
If you aren't displacement-limited by racing class rules, a large-displacement OHV cam-in-block V8 is a pretty elegant solution for getting 500 N.A. hp out of a relatively compact and lightweight powerplant.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:54 PM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
For a sports car, IMO engine power/weight and power/size are more important than power/displacement.
If you aren't displacement-limited by racing class rules, a large-displacement OHV cam-in-block V8 is a pretty elegant solution for getting 500 N.A. hp out of a relatively compact and lightweight powerplant.
Its true, people don’t realize how light these small block v8s are. The LT1 is like 460lb IIRC
Old 07-26-2019, 01:10 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

To further stand on that point. How the hell does GM get so little HP from a 6.2L V8 in today’s world? Top Gear brought this up every time when reviewing a Corvette. Where does the hp go in such a large V8 engine? That should be 700hp out of a 6.2l
Yeah - its only 500. Sold in a showroom and with a warranty. Whats that GT3 level? And better.

Yeah they can get more. They did it in the ZR1 right? But I'm sure in the interest of a balanced BASE car they can sell, the 500 is right in there in their mind. It is in mine too.

There is a place right down the road here in Texas that can pump 100, 200, or probably 500 more horsepower in to that 6.2 for us if its not enough.

I strongly recommend that when you do pump it up that you have a very finely tuned foot, butt, and very quick hands or things can get out of hand. Fast. And warranty? Who cares then right. If you blow the thing just crank a new one down in it.

Paul Walker and those guys don't do us any favors. And that's the kind of thing that can take us back to the 190 hp Corvettes and Porsches. When the Gov gets in it on behalf of highway safety and Lives Matter - you can be assured it will not be a good thing.

I remember a guy came in to the motorcycle shop and bought a 1000cc sport bike while I happened to be there and them working on something for me. It was obvious to me he didn't have the experience to be on that motorcycle. I later found out that within a few minutes and few miles of leaving with it he was severely injured for life. What does that mean? Who is at fault? Well he should have known - and others should have too.
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:22 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
I thought that the 981 GT4 was one of the best cars that Porsche ever built for the money. The problem that I have with the 718 GT4 is the gearing. I read that 5K RPM in 2nd gear gives you 60 MPH. I suppose that Porsche is more concerned about keeping the RPMs low on the street to reduce carbon emissions, rather than providing a great driving experience on the street.
How hard is it to change the ring and pinion gears, lets say if currently a 2.73 ratio to 3.75 ratio
Old 07-26-2019, 01:47 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Yeah - its only 500. Sold in a showroom and with a warranty. Whats that GT3 level? And better.

Yeah they can get more. They did it in the ZR1 right? But I'm sure in the interest of a balanced BASE car they can sell, the 500 is right in there in their mind. It is in mine too.

There is a place right down the road here in Texas that can pump 100, 200, or probably 500 more horsepower in to that 6.2 for us if its not enough.

I strongly recommend that when you do pump it up that you have a very finely tuned foot, butt, and very quick hands or things can get out of hand. Fast. And warranty? Who cares then right. If you blow the thing just crank a new one down in it.

Paul Walker and those guys don't do us any favors. And that's the kind of thing that can take us back to the 190 hp Corvettes and Porsches. When the Gov gets in it on behalf of highway safety and Lives Matter - you can be assured it will not be a good thing.

I remember a guy came in to the motorcycle shop and bought a 1000cc sport bike while I happened to be there and them working on something for me. It was obvious to me he didn't have the experience to be on that motorcycle. I later found out that within a few minutes and few miles of leaving with it he was severely injured for life. What does that mean? Who is at fault? Well he should have known - and others should have too.
Sorry about your experience, and for sport bike guy, when i go I would it rather be a quick end, whether by my own ignorance or ill advised actions at least I got to do what i liked and aspired too, life with no engagement and passion has no meaning to me.

On another note is it not ridicules that if you blow an LT2 motor you could potentially get a factory LT1 block that may just bolt up for $1,829.51 (with rebate LOL)

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Per...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
How hard is it to change the ring and pinion gears, lets say if currently a 2.73 ratio to 3.75 ratio
Pretty hard. Labor intensive.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:07 PM
bertram928
Instructor

BTW, the C8 would make an excellent car to travel the US if you are retired:

1.- 30+ mpg instead of 6 to 8 mpg in motor home.
2. the difference in gas cost and depreciation would pay for bed and breakfast, hotels and motels along the way.
3. open top makes for a more scenic drive in the mountains, power means no stressing about holding up traffic
4. handling means one can stay off the interstates and take more scenic back roads with no difference in point A to B time.
5. enough luggage space to take along what you actually need

Owning an exotic engineering marvel pushing all know boundaries in car design; priceless

Having a net positive ROI could be possible as everyone will be clamoring for their turn to sample this beast when everyone catches on but by then demand will likely exceed supply
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

In 2006, before I had driven a Porsche, I cross-shopped Corvette, 911, and Boxster. I test-drove them in that order. The first turn I took in that Boxster changed me for life. I picked the Boxster over both the 911 and the Corvette (with 2x the HP). I decided I will never be Porsche-less again.

For me, a car has never been about prestige or status signalling (Boxster, lol). It's also not about how luxurious the interior looks/feels. It's about how the car is built and how it feels. There is a certain feel in a Porsche that I have not found in any other sports car regardless of performance metrics. My 6gt3 feels like it was cut from a single block of metal even at 15yrs of age. My first Boxster felt the same with zero sqeaks, rattles, or problems after 6 years, 40k miles, and 70+ track days, bone stock.

I drove a C7 couple of years ago. I still wouldn't pick one over my (recently acquired) 987.1 Boxster S for even $, much less at 3x the price. Luckily we don't have to buy all our cars new. All makes, models, and years are in play for me when I'm looking for the perfect tool for a job. I just took it on a 2hr backroads run and was grinning amazed (yet again) by how well it does the job it was designed to do.

I hope reviews and tests confirm that the C8 is something special. I hope I feel that myself when I test drive one. I will delay judgment until then.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Still a Chevy. LOL
And your point is?
Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Not everything is about price..............the mona lisa is oil paint on canvas fettled by a trade painter, to others it a priceless masterpiece - there are reasons as to why the latter is the accepted view

A straightforward question - why should I trade my 720S or 991 II 3RS for a C8?
umm... you shouldn't. You are missing the point.

This car is not even pretending to go after the 720 or GT3RS... If you have and can afford those cars you aren't a Corvette customer. Period.

Now if you are shopping for a 718s/gts/spyder/etc...

Or a BMW Z4, M3, M4, Etc...

Or even a 992 S or 4S

There are a lot of cars below $120k brand new that are going to feel this competition. The fact in your head the 720 and GT3RS were even relevant to this car is exactly why somebody considering a 718 might get interested in the Vette.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The only thing I am concerned about is the overheating stuff. I want to get a report back about how the Vette does after hard track sessions. Furthermore, the sweet spot of the Corvette range (for me) has always been the Grand Sport; as a result, if I decide to get the Vette as a second car, it would be that one. If I'm being honest; however, I'm actually more inclined to get a Mustang GT350R. To me, the GT350R is just more of a special car: unique engine, manual transmission, limited production, and great handling.
CaymanCarver (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 05:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The C8 will be considered as an option to owners of 911's and GT cars.

The 718 is no comparison other than its ridiculous MSRP price.
No one is really cross-shopping a GT3/RS with a Corvette.

It wasn't the case with the C7 (either the GS or Z06 iterations) and most likely it won't be with the C8 vis-a-vis the 992 GT models.

While both a Porsche 911 (and its GT variants) and the Corvette are aspirational purchases, the demographics for both are very different. Buyers who aspire to a Porsche 911 or a GT variant have never aspired to own a Corvette. Similarly, buyers who aspire to own a Corvette, generally consider a 911 GT3/RS, much less a regular 911, out of reach.

Yes, there are those that are buying these cars as track toys, or even weekend HPDE tools, but those buyers are few and far between, and even most of them don't really cross-shop a Corvette versus a 911.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:16 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 895 Likes on 401 Posts

To further stand on that point. How the hell does GM get so little HP from a 6.2L V8 in today’s world? Top Gear brought this up every time when reviewing a Corvette. Where does the hp go in such a large V8 engine? That should be 700hp out of a 6.2l
the rep told me yesterday at the showing that they purposely kept it under the magic number of 500 HP, due to the cost and hassle of insuring a car over 500 HP.... Sounds like a smart move when trying to sale $60K sports car these days
bertram928 (07-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?