Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 08:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Not surprising 2019 C7 sales are low. Folks were waiting for the C8 unveiling.

That's too logical of a reason for K-A to digest ..
Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Closertotruth
Not surprising 2019 C7 sales are low. Folks were waiting for the C8 unveiling.
No, not surprising. But key factor was “lowest recorded Vette sales ever” (at least since they started reporting sales). The C7 sales had been softening for some time. I don’t say that with an agenda, it’s merely fact. I actually like the C7 and have very little negative to say about it.

Originally Posted by STG
First you can't stop posting about how terrible a car the C8 will be, but now have resorted to how common the C8 will be on the streets. I'm sure if it's that bad, why would it sell so well?? DUH ... Porsche could only wish it could sell that many 911's in the US instead of year over year declining sales.

Can't make this stuff up ....
LOL. No, providing balance to your hilarious 3-party fanboy shill fest isn’t saying the C8 “will be terrible.”

Have you ordered one yet? There’s high chance I’ll get one and you won’t. Doesn’t mean I’ll blindly support it like I’m being paid for it.

And no, you clearly don’t understand branding. Porsche wouldn’t want to sell as many 911’s as Chevy is hoping C8’s. If Porsche did, they’d price the 911 at $60K and likely shut Vette sales out completely. Porsche isn’t stupid when they raise 911 prices. They’ve been pushing to position the 911 higher continuously. And they’ll keep increasing prices as long as people bite. This is business 101: High margin/lower volume/high cachet/“exclusivity factor” vs mass sales/high volume/more attainable.

If the C8 stops people from buying 911’s, we’ll see what happens. Until then, Porsche will continue to take the model of moderate sales at higher margins of which they can reinvest in R&D (worked for them thus far as they didn’t become the highest margin car manufacturer and most idolized sports car manufacturer by mistake).

I don’t consider sales to be a barometer of success. I’m not in the car business, I’m an enthusiast. If it was, then all sports cars are failures because more Camry’s get sold in one day than Vettes in a year probably. I’d rather not see my car everywhere. It’s just not special and I’m not big on “herd behavior.” But at the same time, a good product speaks for itself and will be wanted. As with everything, moderation is key. I think Porsche struck a perfect balance with the 911: Sells enough to be attainable and not too boutique, but not too much to lose its cool and exclusivity factor. It’s no Lambo in that regard, but it’s far from a 5 Series.

I think if GM really want to position the Vette next to exotics eventually, it’ll have to do what Porsche does and manage supply. If the C8 has tons of buyers, they’d be smart to keep demand higher than production. It will raise aspirational value, which will raise resale, which will raise regard and allure.

If they produce as many as they can build, the car will lose its visual punch and presence, resale will fall, and even if it is an amazing product which it should be, you’ll find more people enticed to buy more expensive 911’s with less paper stats because it makes them feel “special.” It’s simply human behavior.

Is this new to you, really? Ask your bosses at GM how it works. I’m sure they’ll explain.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:01 AM
STG
Race Director

K-A if you had any sort of intelligence and inclination of my history here, you'd realize I have zero to do with GM or "getting paid" to post here. Such ridiculous claims.

You just be getting paid by Porsche then I suppose?? LOL ..
Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
I don’t think the roads will be littered. Maybe LA is not a great example of a typical market but C7s are still rare birds around here. I see WAY more 911s than I do C7s here.
It depends upon the area. There's one Corvette in my area and over ten Porsches, mostly SUVs. I live in MD and I know that there must be hundreds of Vettes around, but I suppose that not many are DDs. Can't wait to see a C8 in person.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 AM
STG
Race Director

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-configurator/

Name:  photo716.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  928.5 KB
Old 08-09-2019, 09:52 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
K-A if you had any sort of intelligence and inclination of my history here, you'd realize I have zero to do with GM or "getting paid" to post here. Such ridiculous claims.

You just be getting paid by Porsche then I suppose?? LOL ..
Oh yeah, your history and where it’s led to, e.g the hilarious display of corporate fanboyism on this thread is precisely where I’m drawing conclusions. I hope you’re getting paid, for your sake. I mean who goes around a Porsche forum where people actually pay MORE for some semblance of exclusivity, and manically parades about how “Much the C8 is selling! So everyone will have one! Eat that Porsche losers!” lmao. Sales mean nothing to car enthusiasts. If a Vette was priced at $100+K it would sell in less volume as well. Not brain surgery here. LESS sales is a plus to me. As long as it’s by design (supply/demand).

Man, if I’m getting paid by Porsche, the team which has oversight over me has been asleep for a couple years as I’ve berated the newest 3.0 turbo 911’s as soulless with a soundtrack as emotive as a sewing machine.

A real employee wouldn’t dare criticize a company they’re paid to endorse. And will spin even the most blatant of shortcomings and scandals to appear favorably. Won’t they.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 09:53 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm all for more technical info and meaty details but not that much fun to scroll through to see just hype posts taking up half a page of scrolling honestly. This thread has generally been more useful than trying to find key details on corvetteforum where you have reverse K-A's to deal with.
The following 3 users liked this post by RobertR1:
996SPECticle (08-09-2019), GT3FZS (08-18-2019), Noah Fect (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobertR1
I'm all for more technical info and meaty details but not that much fun to scroll through to see just hype posts taking up half a page of scrolling honestly. This thread has generally been more useful than trying to find key details on corvetteforum where you have reverse K-A's to deal with.
Lmao. I tried browsing through the Vette forum. That place is a DISASTER. The clientele alone made me appreciate this place more.

Reminded me of the Mustang forum I used to frequent, but like a “boomer on steroids” version.
The following users liked this post:
Craigy (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 10:12 AM
STG
Race Director

I'm only going to post any relevant articles or information I find from now on. I won't waste time bickering with the Sesame Street kids. It's a game of you can't win.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:45 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm only going to post any relevant articles or information I find from now on.
Us folks having difficulties searching the internet tubes can't thank you enough.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:00 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I wish I could get my dog to do that, but he's blind, so he'd probably fall in.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I'm only going to post any relevant articles or information I find from now on.
How about a review from an experienced unaffiliated driver that has actually driven one?
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueNorther:
CaymanCarver (08-10-2019), K-A (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BREAKING NEWS

K-A has been identified as the "trail rated" guy from fchat years ago.

Reports indicate he has shed the "trail rated" persona in favor of a new "torsional rigidity" identity over the years, allowing him to continue vague performance related internet debates at a similarly endless pace without appearing as comical or clearly trolling.

Success of his new ambiguous i-debate strategy is still to be determined, but has generated hundreds of thousands of page-views thusfar and ensnared dozens of frequent posters.

Originally Posted by K-A
Lmao. I tried browsing through the Vette forum. That place is a DISASTER. The clientele alone made me appreciate this place more.

Reminded me of the Mustang forum I used to frequent, but like a “boomer on steroids” version.
Pretty accurate.

It's essentially the same guys as the mustang forum, but a lot older with a lot more money.

The younger mustang guys with a lot more money go to the ford raptor forum.

I like corvetteforum though. Quite a bit more lighthearted and less serious than this place and others. Also a lot more casual users just passing through.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
How about a review from an experienced unaffiliated driver that has actually driven one?

I'm sure those will be on the way obviously. Car was just announced.

Maybe GM will fly the reviewers to the * Canary Islands (Porsche style) to kick start the process. LOL ...

Last edited by STG; 08-09-2019 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?