Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 12:14 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee
In general, I agree with most of what you’ve said. Porsche stated that the wet weight of a 718 GT4 (and Spyder) is 1420 kg, or 3130 lbs, and that’s with the base configuration of Sport Seats Plus and iron rotors. The PDK version would probably be 70 lbs heavier.

I expect GT4 PDK vs Chevy Z51 DCT, quarter mile timed and trap speeds will be near identical, but we’ll see when the tests come out.

On paper, the Chevy suspension is more advanced, but in general Porsche has a history of making “inferior” layouts and designs outperform their “superior” competitors. The significantly lower weight would also be beneficial to the GT4.

While the tall second gear of the manual GT4 would hurt slow corners, I expect the PDK version with better gear ratio spacing to not be hurt by the torque deficit - the Chevy may pull like a school bus at 4500 RPM, while a PDK GT4 might do the same corner with less torque but at 5500 RPM, and with less mass to lug.

My guess would be roughly identical track performance between the PDK GT4 and DCT C8 Z51 Vette.

I fully respect the C8 Vette - it looks like a solid performer again at a substantially lower cost than a Porsche. Building a car that can match the GT4 is no small feat, and of course future Z06 and ZR1 variants should comfortably beat it.

In Canada, I’d expect a Z51 LT3 C8 Vette with FE4 suspension (guess based on C7 Canadian pricing and C8 price bump: $94k CAD) to be around 3/4 the price of a new GT4 with leather interior ($125k CAD reasonably optioned). For a 3 year period of ownership, the GT4 would probably still depreciate less (dollars) than the equivalent Vette.

A future C8 Z06 should beat the 718 GT4 for less money, but that has always been the case for Chevy vs Porsche at equal prices.

The rear mid engine design should help the new Corvette better put down its power at low speeds, the interior is a step forward in quality, and it continues the excellent price per dollar Corvettes have always had. However, at least in Canada, when considering equivalent specs (not the $60k USD base car that’s probably $70k CAD), and historical depreciation rates, Porsche is probably cheaper to own, even after considering investing the price difference in a mutual fund. In the US, Corvette might be slightly cheaper after considering investing the price difference.

For the same cost of ownership, and comparable straight line performance, would you rather have a lightweight and semi-rare Porsche, or a large, heavy, and rather common Corvette? I’d take the Porsche, and that’s why I’m buying a 718 Spyder.
Sigh, you are drinking the cool aid hard.

A car running a double wishbone suspension will need less static negative camber thus making better use of the tires compared to a car using struts (I know since I used to track my NSX which had a double wishbone suspension it required quite a bit less negative camber than my 98x based cars, had less HP and could generate similar lap-times). The shape of the contact patch of the tires will be different during braking and acceleration, a car that requires less static negative camber will make use of the tires better. What does that mean at the track?, better and more consistent lap times, better tire wear as well due to better load distribution.

The e-diff is much better at distributing the available traction than a mechanical LSD, there is a reason why most high end manufacturers are using them in their high performance cars, Porsche included.

One of the reasons why I liked the 981 GT4 was the 3.8L 9A1 engine, fairly common engine, if I needed a replacement for one reason or another it would be way less expensive than a GT1block Mezger engine. The engine on the 718 GT4 is bespoke great if you want to have exclusivity not so great when you are thinking down the road.

For "my" particular application a dime a dozen is "better" since the cost is lower and the availability of replacement components is better. If you go to the track enough there will be things that you will need to have replaced on the car.

BTW: Congrats on the 718 Spyder,

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 07-27-2019 at 08:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2slow2speed:
bertram928 (07-27-2019), wizee (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
And I never understood why everyone is only talking about and comparing NEW cars. Why restrict your choices when optimizing bang/buck to such a narrow universe?

Would I pick a NEW C8 over a used 996 GT3 for even $? Not so sure. Not even sure that a new DCT 3600lb 500hp C8 would be faster than a 15yr old manual 3100lb 380hp 6gt3 in good hands on any track either. Not even getting into how much more fun driving one would be over the other. Or depreciation...
Used to own a 2004 996.2 GT3 bought new from the dealer, liked the engine, hated the chassis and the wandering front end, kept my NSX and sold the GT3. The 997GT3 was a huge improvement over the 996GT3.

Would never consider a 996.2 GT3 again. As nice as the 997 was the cost of replacing a Mezger engine == no go.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 07-27-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Caustic
The C7 the Z51 pkg which includes limited slip, exhaust, bigger brakes, suspension sells for around $5k, C5 and C6 had similar Z51 pkgs at similar price points. The rumor is that the C8 pkg includes
  • Michelin® PS4 Performance 3 Season tires†
  • Standard FE3 Performance Suspension
  • Larger 345 mm front and 350 mm rear brake rotors
  • Extra cooling with additional rear-mounted third radiator
  • Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
  • Larger rear spoiler provides up to 400 lbs. of downforce
  • Performance exhaust results in 495 HP
for about $8k. That is still under $70k, and still an incredible deal.

Now there may not be many base C8s around when its released, but you can order one direct from factory for the $60k price. So yes, it is funny people are comparing base C8 vettes to $300k super cars.
Thanks for sharing, the 400lbs of downforce seems fishy just for the smaller spoiler, and I wonder at what speed that is measured at?, 190mph?. Then again it could be the taller spoiler again measured at 190mph
Old 07-27-2019, 02:12 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd
The GT4 flat out sucks. The new one is worse than before because it weighs more and it still has $hitty gearing.
Tell us how you really feel...
Old 07-27-2019, 02:40 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Originally Posted by hf1
The Boxster looks like nothing on paper, but may be THE BEST car for my backroads, regardless of price -- and I'm being completely serious here.
The 987.1 Boxster S with the 6MT was one of my favorite cars to own and drive on roads like Highway 9 in the Bay Area, good gearing for the 3.2L M96.5 engine, great exhaust note with the PSE. Only downside was the notchy synchro in 2nd gear, had the Short Shift Kit installed and that made the car so much more enjoyable, but rumors seemed to indicate the SSK might have been the cause of the notchy 2nd gear. Ended up trading the car in since I only had space for 2 toy cars and the latent IMS time bomb. Only thing that the car needed was a good Quaife TBD and what eventually became the GT2 seats to complete the car.

Have driven a friends 987.2 Spyder with the 6MT, fun car as well, unique styling but impractical roof, lacked character from the DFI 9A1 even with PSE compared with the non-DFI Engines. Great car when equipped with the bucket seats.

Both the 981 and the 718 Spyder look great, the 981 Spyder is the better value IMHO.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:08 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Used to own a 2004 996.2 GT3 bought new from the dealer, liked the engine, hated the chassis and the wondering front end, kept my NSX and sold the GT3. The 997GT3 was a huge improvement over the 996GT3.

Would never consider a 996.2 GT3 again. As nice as the 997 was the cost of replacing a Mezger engine == no go.
6gt3 are very sensitive to set-up. A small change can mean a wholly different car. My 6gt3’s front end is the least “wandering” of almost any car I’ve driven, but it’s set up by gt3/Cup masters. The way mine is now set up, it’s just sublime on my backroads. I have the SPB for the track but have been doing less of that lately.

I agree the 6gt3 may not be the best value proposition but only because they’ve almost doubled in price from their bottom 7-8 years ago. There may only be a couple of hundred of clean, low mile ones left and they’ve now become collectibles. There’s a 12k mile one FS now on RL asking $104k. As the modern GT3 cars become heavier, more insulated, more refined, and more numerous, I predict a “flippening” of the GT3 value curve where the earliest (996) cars with all their quirks and mechanical rawness become more demanded. I for one plan to never sell mine as there’s literally nothing out there that could replace or improve on how it feels on my backroads. For me, it’s the perfect combination of the aircooled’s rawness with the modern cars’ power: an OEM hot-rod.

The C8, if it proves to be robust, may be a close to perfect “drive to/on/from track” car but I doubt that it will beat my Boxster or my 6gt3 for my backroads. I’ll drive one, then judge.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:34 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Chevy is just laughing at all the dust they can stir up on a Porsche forum. All this passion for a new car that has never even been tested and using all the manufactures (Chevy) numbers. Dance my puppets dance.
Nothing new. EVERY Corvette has done the exact same to the Porsche (and all other more expensive sports car) forums. Every single time since the C5. No exception. Hundreds of threads with massive comment counts littered with the exact same comments we're seeing here about "performs as good or almost for a fraction of the price," "Chevy has been stepping it up lately," "the interior has moved up and is now a lot closer to the more expensive cars, and not nearly as bad as the price difference signifies." Every time. The C7 was a huge topic when it came out as well.

The ONLY difference this time is that it's a mid engine car. Which is arguably a very big difference. But still, the tone and arguments other than that are identical.
The following users liked this post:
MXA121 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 08:39 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

The other giant differences are DCT and the Z06 will have 745hp from a TURBO flat plane v8. It also has a suspension superior to most Porsches.

Last edited by n3rd; 07-27-2019 at 08:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:25 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Not everything is about price..............the mona lisa is oil paint on canvas fettled by a trade painter, to others it a priceless masterpiece - there are reasons as to why the latter is the accepted view

A straightforward question - why should I trade my 720S or 991 II 3RS for a C8?
Your shouldn't because the GT3RS and 720S are masterpieces. But if for instance you had a 718 or a Carrera 2 then the answer would be less easy.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:32 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I can answer that, it would period, no questions asked. Faster than a 997 GT3 and possibly even a 991 GT3.
It depends upon how you define "faster." If faster means straight line acceleration, I would agree, but if it means faster track times, a C8 would have no chance against a 991 GT3. Although it would be closer, I'd also give the edge to a 997 GT3. Although we are speculating about the curb weight of a C8, it's likely that it will be around 500 lbs heavier than a GT3. That is one hell of a handicap to overcome on a track.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

A lot of self-selection bias here, myself included. I think they are both fabulous cars with different emphasis and demographics. Better or worse is highly subjective, I do like the P dealer treatment, but you pay for it. Your average GM dealer can be cringeworthy and finding a good service department for a C8 will probably be worth the extra drive. That said given the multitude of GM dealers vs Porsche that’s probably a wash.

I’m really looking forward to the detailed reviews and owner experiences. The real question is to get in line now for a bespoke optioned/color at MSRP or wait several years for a used or off lease with whats available at the time. Agree that any unspoken ones on lots or flips will be at ADM for a while, even more so if it lives up to or exceeds the PR.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Good stuff ... add on a bunch of carbon fiber on the cheap

Name:  photo936.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  1.10 MB
Old 07-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Where is the cheap part? Detailed pricing not out until mid-August
Old 07-27-2019, 09:55 AM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
A lot of self-selection bias here, myself included. I think they are both fabulous cars with different emphasis and demographics. Better or worse is highly subjective, I do like the P dealer treatment, but you pay for it. Your average GM dealer can be cringeworthy and finding a good service department for a C8 will probably be worth the extra drive. That said given the multitude of GM dealers vs Porsche that’s probably a wash.
Dealer experience at Porsche?! HAHAHAHA! Maybe you're one of the lucky guys with good guy dealers around.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:55 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
Where is the cheap part? Detailed pricing not out until mid-August

Based on everything else, will be Porsche pricing at a 60% discount ....

Will seem like a bargain to most I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?