Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting that he said most of the car is bolted together and there are very little welds. Isn't that technically considered a bad thing?
Wouldn’t bolted (with permanent thread locker) torqued to spec offer a more consistent frame rigidity while making repair easier? I’d like to hear more about the engineering rational behind this. I doubt it’s just cost savings.......
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 AM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have owned 2 Corvettes during my 3 decades of 911 ownership. They were huge mistakes. I get suckered into the “New Corvette is so much better built” hype. Every time I then question how can I accept this build quality owning German cars. I can’t and end up trading the Vette in at a huge depreciation. Probably the worst depreciation of any car model I have ever seen or owned. They were basically worth nothing.after a year. The reality is GM doesn’t have it in their DNA to know how to build a quality built vehicle. Even their top tier Cadillacs pale in comparison to a mid level luxury German car.
Fast forward a few years and my elderly neighbor buys the latest Z51 Stingray loaded up with the LT3 package.($81k). He asked me to set his car up for him and show him how it works. This was like owning the car without paying for it for me. We even did several Draggy times as he knows I have the gear for testing. After several runs in every drive mode the best 0-60mph time we could get was just under 5 seconds at 4.87 seconds. this is “suppose” to be a low 3 second car. My new BMW X5 50i M-Sport can do 4 seconds flat all day long 0-60mph with half a tank of gas with the same Draggy unit.
This was strike 3 for GM as they greatly exaggerate their real world performance numbers. I went online to compare our results and sure enough lots of videos showing the current Z51 having a hard time getting under 5 seconds 0-60mph. There was one video where the GM test driver couldn’t get under 5 seconds and then tried to dance around the poor performance. Why would any one thing the latest mid engine Vette will be any different? My neighbors interior looked great for 6 months but after a year everything started to rattle and the upgraded leather cracked prematurely (warranty issue). Dash has a bad thump noise (warranty). Leather trim pulling away at the doors (warranty) Radio/head unit went dead (replaced under warranty). Electric door handles get stuck randomly, engine over heating issue, etc... This car is babied and falling apart.

The C8 has been over hyped for a year now and yet many are accepting GM’s claims again as if they were the gospel truth. Not this guy. been there, done that too many times with Chevy. My best advise for the kids without a lot of performance cars under their belt, if you can’t tell the quality difference between a German Porsche/BMW, etc to a Chevy then you buy the Chevy and pay for your education with your own wallet. Better to wait and get a used Vette for a significant discount as they will be a dime a dozen in a few years.

Last edited by TheMystro; 07-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheMystro:
CaymanCarver (07-27-2019), sobiloff (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 09:55 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Exactly my gripe with the Vette and Camaro. Too much of THE cheapest hard plastic available used in highly visible areas. At least put a little foam padding underneath the vinyl and make it soft touch. Cutting costs inside the cockpit just cheapens the whole experience for me. That's not to say I won't be owning one of the first C8's. I just might.

No different than a GT3RS $200K+++

You have to spend GT2RS $$$ to get carbon ...
Old 07-26-2019, 10:05 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Exactly my gripe with the Vette and Camaro. Too much of THE cheapest hard plastic available used in highly visible areas. At least put a little foam padding underneath the vinyl and make it soft touch. Cutting costs inside the cockpit just cheapens the whole experience for me. That's not to say I won't be owning one of the first C8's. I just might.
You obviously haven't been in any base Cayman and Boxsters which are priced the same as a new Corvette. There is no comparison on which interior is better.

Now if you really want to see cheap plastic everywhere, just pop the engine lid on any new Porsche. Talk about cost cutting where it matters most.

re'
Old 07-26-2019, 10:13 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
I have owned 2 Corvettes during my 3 decades of 911 ownership. They were huge mistakes. I get suckered into the “New Corvette is so much better built” hype. Every time I then question how can I accept this build quality owning German cars. I can’t and end up trading the Vette in at a huge depreciation. Probably the worst depreciation of any car model I have ever seen or owned. They were basically worth nothing.after a year. The reality is GM doesn’t have it in their DNA to know how to build a quality built vehicle. Even their top tier Cadillacs pale in comparison to a mid level luxury German car.
Fast forward a few years and my elderly neighbor buys the latest Z51 Stingray loaded up with the LT3 package.. He asked me to set his car up for him and show him how it works. This was like owning the car without paying for it for me. We even did several Draggy times as he knows I have the gear for testing. After several runs in every drive mode the best 0-60mph time we could get was just under 5 seconds at 4.87 seconds. this is “suppose” to be a low 3 second car. My new BMW X5 50i M-Sport can do 4 seconds flat all day long 0-60mph with half a tank of gas with the same Draggy unit.
This was strike 3 for GM as they greatly exaggerate their real world performance numbers. I went online to compare our results and sure enough lots of videos showing the current Z51 having a hard time getting under 5 seconds 0-60mph. There was one video where the GM test driver couldn’t get under 5 seconds and then tried to dance around the poor performance. Why would any one thing the latest mid engine Vette will be any different? The car has been over hyped for a year now and yet many are accepting GM’s claims again as if they were the gospel truth. Not this guy. been there, done that too many times.with Chevy.
Perhaps because the math adds up, or because some of us have had different experiences with the C7 that we have driven or because we have shared track time with C7's and C6's, C5's at the track.

If the C8 Z51 turns 3.2 seconds it won't be a deal breaker for me since I am looking at a platform that I can take it to the track, not a car that I will be driving like an idiot from stoplight to stoplight. Some of us will just wait to test drive the car at the track at speed before deciding what to do.

In regards to your neighbors experience there are many factors involved, ambient temp, road surface conditions, type of tire (all season tire, high performance summer, MPSC2?) was the tire new or had it been driven to remove the outer coating, was it an automatic vs manual, tire pressures, was the proper gas used on the vehicle, etc.

An AWD car with an automatic transmission will have consistent grip for the most part and have comparable times as long as you don't heat soak the engine, a front engine rear wheel drive car will have a harder time putting the power down for example relative to an AWD car or a RR like a 911. Maybe your neighbor was sold a lemon car, too many factors to consider. If your neighbor had some serious doubts, just take the car to a reputed dyno and have it dynoed to see if the car is making the right power.

There will always be skeptics whenever a new car is launched, most folks will wait for tests or for test drives before deciding what to do.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 07-26-2019 at 10:41 AM. Reason: oops replaced the second "road conditions" with "tire pressures" since that is what I meant to write.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:26 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
No different than a GT3RS $200K+++

You have to spend GT2RS $$$ to get carbon ...
You obviously don't own either because if you did you would know the 3RS has carbon fibre everywhere e.g. frunk lid, fenders, internal trim etc
Old 07-26-2019, 10:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Yeah, to get decent Porsche interior finishes, you have to spend another $20K+++ in options.

Like mentioned, any base model interior on a Macan, Cayenne, 718, or even 911 isn't any better than the Asian imports.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dan87951
You obviously haven't been in any base Cayman and Boxsters which are priced the same as a new Corvette. There is no comparison on which interior is better.

Now if you really want to see cheap plastic everywhere, just pop the engine lid on any new Porsche. Talk about cost cutting where it matters most.

re'
Top lamb dressed as mutton
Bottom mutton dressed as lamb lol
CaymanCarver (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
You obviously don't own either because if you did you would know the 3RS has carbon fibre everywhere e.g. frunk lid, fenders, internal trim etc

Talking about the exterior trim pieces ....all black PLASTIC.

Yes, has few carbon body panels ... duh
Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
Talking about the exterior trim pieces ....all black PLASTIC.

Yes, has few carbon body panels ... duh
A few body panels lol - you mean the front lol and you mean the replaceable naca ducts and fender vents, that actually do something oh

and a magnesium roof and a car that weighs at least 400 lbs less than the C8

You should trade your GTS for a C8 - it'll work for you

The C8 is bolted together, sectional parts look as cheap as I've ever seen - the pressed component look very cheap and don't even look well finished. But go for it - have a look at a photo from a diagonal at the side vents and towards the rear - big big big cooling issues heading your way
Old 07-26-2019, 10:38 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Fast forward a few years and my elderly neighbor buys the latest Z51 Stingray loaded up with the LT3 package.($81k). He asked me to set his car up for him and show him how it works. This was like owning the car without paying for it for me. We even did several Draggy times as he knows I have the gear for testing. After several runs in every drive mode the best 0-60mph time we could get was just under 5 seconds at 4.87 seconds. this is “suppose” to be a low 3 second car. My new BMW X5 50i M-Sport can do 4 seconds flat all day long 0-60mph with half a tank of gas with the same Draggy unit.
This was strike 3 for GM as they greatly exaggerate their real world performance numbers. I went online to compare our results and sure enough lots of videos showing the current Z51 having a hard time getting under 5 seconds 0-60mph. There was one video where the GM test driver couldn’t get under 5 seconds and then tried to dance around the poor performance. Why would any one thing the latest mid engine Vette will be any different? My neighbors interior looked great for 6 months but after a year everything started to rattle and the upgraded leather cracked prematurely (warranty issue). Dash has a bad thump noise (warranty). Leather trim pulling away at the doors (warranty) Radio/head unit went dead (replaced under warranty). Electric door handles get stuck randomly, engine over heating issue, etc... This car is babied and falling apart.

The C8 has been over hyped for a year now and yet many are accepting GM’s claims again as if they were the gospel truth. Not this guy. been there, done that too many times with Chevy. My best advise for the kids without a lot of performance cars under their belt, if you can’t tell the quality difference between a German Porsche/BMW, etc to a Chevy then you buy the Chevy and pay for your education with your own wallet. Better to wait and get a used Vette for a significant discount as they will be a dime a dozen in a few years.
A lot of valid points.
Agreed GM has duped buyers many times over.
Decades of bad management, accountants dictating to engineering ( a mechanic of mine discovered that Cadillac used the exact same window switches as the chevette thus failed just as often)
No attempt ever to compete on quality and engineering excellence.
Lost the trust and faith on even their most loyal customer base.

Maybe someone at GM realized this cost cutting only mindset and feeble attempts to offset via blustery marketing was a loosing strategy.
Could have been new board members or consulting firms, but installing Mary Bara as CEO was a bold move and just what GM needed to right the ship.

I believe the C8 is the first design on her watch where she could drive design, marketing, and manufacturing strategy (she is a winner on quality and efficiency proven by past accomplishments) right from the beginning not stuck with decisions made by her predecessors.

No cost in design appears to have been spared, she correctly determined to restore the faith in GM Engineering (GMI produces the best in the world) the c8 halo car had to be a home run.

GM has already shown they manufacture reliable cars based on JD Power rankings, they just need to show world class engineering in order to drive show room traffic from buyers that have written off GM as potential purchase for decades.

I have no doubt the C8 will be resounding success, the smile of a very focused serious lady while riding in the C8 confirms that as well as how upbeat the owner down to detail guys are at my local dealership
GT3FZS (08-07-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:38 AM
STG
Race Director

a few body panels lol - you mean the front lol duh oh and you mean the replaceable naca ducts and fender vents lol

and a magnesium roof and weighs at least 400 lbs less than the C8

you should trade your GTS for a C8 - it'll work for you

Just making a point. A nearly $200K GT3 has none of the things you're talking about and all the black plastic trim pieces of the RS as well.

Being compared to a C8 that's the same price of a 4 banger 718. Do the math.

I think the C8 will surprise a lot of drivers.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
Just making a point. A nearly $200K GT3 has none of the things you're talking about and all the black plastic trim pieces of the RS as well.

Being compared to a C8 that's the same price of a 4 banger 718. So the math.
Not everything is about price..............the mona lisa is oil paint on canvas fettled by a trade painter, to others it a priceless masterpiece - there are reasons as to why the latter is the accepted view

A straightforward question - why should I trade my 720S or 991 II 3RS for a C8?
Old 07-26-2019, 10:49 AM
STG
Race Director

Not everything is about price..............

Could be Porsche's new marketing slogan

They've convinced buyers to keep paying more while cost cutting themselves.
CaymanCarver (07-27-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 10:52 AM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951

re'
LOL, i cannot speak to the latest greatest, but a guy in our GroupMe bought a 2014 911S fully optioned , window sticker at $128,000.

We all marveled at his purchase , low and sleek with PSAM in track mode a first class white paint job, fully optioned interior bits, 20" wheels etc.
He opened the rear hatch, we all laughed, no engine to be seen just 2 black off the shelf 10" computer case fans sitting on a hunk of plastic shroud, what a let down.

Do not get me wrong, I love the car, would love to own for what he paid for it, however some of the detail decisions are disheartening

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?