Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 02:54 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
STG WTF?
Doing a little personal monetization?

Polls lie. Polls suck.
Number of Views? Who cares, it means absolutely nothing. Like it somehow equates to a seismic shift in the auto industry. That's laughable.
Do this - break down the demographics on all the poll respondents for us.. if you can. That'll be BS too.

Siting articles form last March??! Bogus!
Didn't matter then, doesn't matter now.

I think you're a little too late to cash in on the feeding frenzy. The marketing message out there (and in here) is obviously morphing away from the GM hype.

This marketing campaign on the interwebz (by GM) has been unprecedented. Interesting they're targeting/using the Auto Forums to get to the users.
Speaks more about the importance of the Forums as an access vector, than anything about a particular car.
I haven't seen any monster big push by GM. I haven't received a batch of emails in my inbox telling me all about it - like I do from Porsche.

This is more made up stuff.

Is the new Corvette news? You bet it is. Will the magazines and internet guys that make money from this stuff run it? Uhhh what's your bet?

And who cares what the "demographics" are? More whoopdeedo bull. I'll tell you exactly what demographics they want. They want the ones that can come in and write a check. Whether it is a down payment or payment in full they could care less. And then drive away with a smile. And buy a Denali truck next year too. Thats what they want. The first step is to build something that those buyers want to come see and test drive. They have done that.

This car isn't taking anything away from Porsche. But it IS the other guys stepping up. I like it. And is it ever better than the Tesla noise . . or noiseless . . to me.

Man I tell you . . .
The following users liked this post:
Nm2far (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 211 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
No, I'm not a professional blogger. LOL.

It's very simple. Only thing that will matter is how many cars sell for any company. Buyers have the final vote.

I think the press is genuinely interested in the C8 as are "car guys". They made a big splash so far. I just find it interesting what you get at that price point. Blows the 718 and Carrera (base and S) models out of the water when factoring in the value equation. Comparing the C8 to GT cars and the F cars of the world is only a compliment to it.

The 992 was a disappointment to many and didn't get anyone's blood flowing.
You like to stir the pot and create views.

The C8 is a bold move by Chevy and should be getting tons of press. I hope it’s over the top successful. I don’t see that the value equation has changed a lot. The Corvette always had a significant advantage. It’s more about each product. Does the 718 and 911 deliver to their standard? If not, buyers will look elsewhere. The C8 is significantly new and has great potential to exceed expectations. Will Porsche and other manufacturers take more risks with their core products? Time will tell.
Nm2far (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,747 Likes on 5,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Size comparison between GT3 and C8.
The C8 is really a big car.

How many mid-engine cars have both a frunk and trunk?

Maybe one less than as many as front-engined 911s?
Old 07-28-2019, 03:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Angled shot with whatever car is nearest will not show true representation.

Remember the GT3 has a removed back seat and totally unusable space.

Here are the #'s

C8 2.7" longer than GT3 and nearly 2" narrower

If that's a "really big car" so be it I guess ....

Name:  photo375.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  photo504.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  photo934.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  1.01 MB

Last edited by STG; 07-28-2019 at 03:44 PM.
porschedood5000 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 03:50 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Angled shot with whatever car is nearest will not show true representation.

Remember the GT3 has a removed back seat and totally unusable space.

Here are the #'s

C8 2.7" longer than GT3 and nearly 2" narrower

If that's a "really big car" so be it I guess ....
That picture is a bit unfair because of the angle, but it isn't just about inches is it? It's also about bulk! Or so I'd like to tell myself.

I've already resigned myself to the fact of its size. If it gets me two trunks, it will be perfect for weekend getaways and trips. I'll still have the 997 to carve roads up too.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:03 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Surge74
It’s funny how everyone is taking the $60K price as gospel. It’s a STARTING price folks. Just like you’ll never find a Porsche sports car for sale at its base price, the same will be true here. Chevy aren’t alchemists or philanthropists.
It's still a VERY relevant point though. A stripped C8 stingray is still going to be an amazing car that will be hard if not impossible to beat at 2-4 times the price. The Z51 package will probably be 5K-6-ish and adds some cool stuff but nothing really necessary. LT2 (probably a few grand) will get the interior upgrades from already pretty nice to full on feature rich for the "I NEED MORE TECH!!!" Crowd. I'll give a pass for anyone ticking that upgrade for the better radio though

So you absolutely WILL be able to get a "stripper" Vette that runs with world class super cars for 60k and less after the first 6-12 months of "I NEED IT NOW!!!" Demand wears off. Then for around (likely under) 70k you get the Z and LT2 and now you're really not compromising anything.

I was seriously considering a GT4 or Spyder. Not anymore. If the C8 ends up being a flop (impossible other than from a build quality or reliability standpoint, which is yet to be determined of course) then it'll hammer the "supercar" bottom end the way the Tesla Roadster will hammer the top end. Hedge fund ballers and shot callers will still blow mad money on cars 10x the price+ for 3% more performance or whatever (enjoy those 4-5 figure service visits and 5 figure car tags lol) but IF (still needs to be proven) they can post the numbers they're claiming along with a descent product quality wise, its check mate, Vette wins, and there's no possible way for the elite companies to ever catch up other than to leverage their brand appeal for prestige (real or apparent).

And that's not even considering the Z06 yet, or the rumored Zora which could very well be 95% of a 918 at 10-15% the price.

If what Chevy may be on the verge of here spreads to other manufacturers that can produce similar value, it could be a paradigm changing seismic event that won't be fully felt for the 2020MY but will be in due time especially with the massive assault the EV market will wreak upon them (performance for price) in the coming years.

Porsche may have a little room to battle back by including insanely pricey features that should be free anyway (pricey LED lights? PLEASE! LOL!) and many, many others.

You want C8 performance? Buy our cars that cost several multiples in price and when it's out of warranty and an engine/transmission goes, it'll cost as much as a new C8 to get it back on the road.

Maybe not checkmate just yet. But check for sure, and the king(s) don't have many places left to move.
2slow2speed (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,747 Likes on 5,128 Posts

Inches, on a static basis, may not make a difference. But in motion, inches (even fractions of inches) do matter.

Sort of like sprung v. unsprung weight.

People already complain about how much bigger the 992 is compared to the 991, when in fact the 992 is only 0.8 inches longer than 991 C2 (or 1.3 inches longer if the 992 is equipped with the sport chassis option), and about 1.7 inches wider.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-29-2019 at 02:53 PM.
CaymanCarver (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 04:21 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 900 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Press reviews should always be taken with a gran of salt. I hope GM comes out wth a killer Corvette, but the devil is on the details. On paper and spec, with the mid-engine it is getting rave reviews so far. However, a car s more than just numbers on paper. Seems to me so far the GM engineers got it right, but the interior cockpit design is a half-*** / half-baked "work-in-progress". They should hire some Italian designers to put an exclamation mark to give it a soul that is purely Corvette. Right now with that cockpit it just doesn't cut it.
I was lucky enough to sit in one the other day..... it blows away anything Porsche has to offer , unless you like that spacious 90's look that Porsche offers.

It is leading edge, while Porsche is retro....it just depends on what you like I guess.

They don't need some Italian to put some sort of exclamation point on it.... it's already far more exciting than any rahter boring dated Porsche interior

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 07-28-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
STG WTF?
Doing a little personal monetization?

Polls lie. Polls suck.
Number of Views? Who cares, it means absolutely nothing. Like it somehow equates to a seismic shift in the auto industry. That's laughable.
Do this - break down the demographics on all the poll respondents for us.. if you can. That'll be BS too.

Siting articles form last March??! Bogus!
Didn't matter then, doesn't matter now.

I think you're a little too late to cash in on the feeding frenzy. The marketing message out there (and in here) is obviously morphing away from the GM hype.

This marketing campaign on the interwebz (by GM) has been unprecedented. Interesting they're targeting/using the Auto Forums to get to the users.
Speaks more about the importance of the Forums as an access vector, than anything about a particular car.

LOL Is this a serious post? Sounds similar to the political BS I hear spouted on Cable News.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Caustic
That picture is a bit unfair because of the angle, but it isn't just about inches is it? It's also about bulk! Or so I'd like to tell myself.

I've already resigned myself to the fact of its size. If it gets me two trunks, it will be perfect for weekend getaways and trips. I'll still have the 997 to carve roads up too.
But without the GT3 wing, the size differential would look even greater.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
You like to stir the pot and create views.
I call it like it is, and voice my opinion like everyone else. After all, the whole point of a forum is to have discussion no??

Making personal attacks against forum members doesn't really validate any points or your credibility.

Old 07-28-2019, 04:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Inches, on a static basis, may not make a difference. But in motion, inches (even fractions of inches) do matter.

Sort of like sprung v. unsprung weight.

People already complaint about how much bigger the 992 is compared to the 991, when in fact the 992 is only 0.8 inches longer than 991 C2 (or 1.3 inches longer if the 992 is equipped with the sport chassis option), and about 1.7 inches wider.
Last year I went to Watkins Glen with my brother who has a Z06. I have a GT3. Despite his HP advantage I was able to keep ahead of him. Predictably he was faster in the straights, but I had the advantage in the corners. We then switched cars, and he passed me within a lap. As I posted earlier driving heavy cars fast is challenging. I did get faster on succeeding laps, but my brother was fast on the first lap in the lighter and smaller GT3.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Last year I went to Watkins Glen with my brother who has a Z06. I have a GT3. Despite his HP advantage I was able to keep ahead of him. Predictably he was faster in the straights, but I had the advantage in the corners. We then switched cars, and he passed me within a lap. As I posted earlier driving heavy cars fast is challenging. I did get faster on succeeding laps, but my brother was fast on the first lap in the lighter and smaller GT3.
C7 Z06? Been on track with a few if them with competent drivers and they are impressive.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Just curious was his Z06 an automatic or was it the 7MT? Your GT3 is PDK, that might account for some of the ease in driving as well.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

C7 Z06? Been on track with a few if them with competent drivers and they are impressive.
Yes. It's a C7 and it's doesn't overheat and go into limp mode.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?